converting a long-shaft to short-shaft?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by dinkbuster1, Mar 4, 2006.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have an '86 johnson 25hp tiller longshaft that is way too long for the transom on my 15ft alumacraft. im wondering if it can be converted to a short-shaft, what all parts i would need to buy, and about what it would cost. im even up to trading parts or motor if anyone is intirested.

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    My wife said no when I asked her about converting my johnson to a short shaft

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Do the jack plate. Buy it or build it, but if you can't get one that'll lift your engine at least 5", then build it

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I don;t know what you have access to,or what kind of boat you have.I have used a piece of SCAFFLE BOARD on a John boat.It is about as strong a board as you can get.Some one working construction can get you a 12-20 inch trimming,as they sometimes have to cut them off to fit in a place.You may have to plane off the end where the clamps fit,if they will not open wide enough.I had to do this to swap a 8 & 25 hp.long shaft on the same boat.I sometimes used the boat in a 10 hp.and under restriction area.Do all of your cutting,drilling and fitting.Then soak it in a good water seal.It will last many years.peewee-williams