Converting 12v to 110????

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by bassadict69, Nov 30, 2006.

1. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    I have a 12v bilge pump that I am using to circulate the water through a filter on the bait tank I built. I would like to put a timer on the system to turn the pump on several times a day for about an hours or so each time but cannot find a timer for a 12v system.

I have a 110v timer at the house...Is there a way to convert the 12v setup to a 110 system? Does anyone make a convertor or transformer to do this?

An invertor is out since I do not have a lighter plug available to plug it into.

I found a 110v bilge pump but it is $100 + Cry

2. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    You can go to your local radio shack and get a 110VAC to 12VDC converter. They used to have several different models some of which also had a cigarette lighter plug (now called "work station" adapters in the newer cars).

Personally I would not attempt to convert a 12VDC pump to 110VAC.

3. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    Would you mind elaborating as to why not? Are there problems I may encounter by doing this?

4. Muleskinner

Muleskinner New Member

State:
    Ms.
    If you will tell me how many amps your pump pulls. I will tell you what kilowatt transformer and a small diode bridge and an inline fuse you will need. You can pick it all up at Radio shack are any electronics store. Then i will email you if you like with the directions on wiring it up. You can probably get everything you need for around $30.00.

5. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    I will look tonight, I am assuming it is marked on the pump?

6. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    please dont email the directions, just post them here. I wanna know too!

7. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    ok...I think I found the amp info on their site...All this means nothing to me so just let me know if this isn't what you need...

3.3 @ 12v
    5.0 @ 13.6v

8. Muleskinner

Muleskinner New Member

State:
    Ms.
    Here is a list of what you will need.
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?ItemId=1611603228

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...igkw=rectifier&kw=rectifier&parentPage=search

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...=inline+fuse&kw=inline+fuse&parentPage=search

It is not a lot cheaper than the other route you were talking about. But I do know for sure that this would be able to handle the load safely. The only thing where ever you mount the transformer make sure that nobody can reach the terminals because they will be 120 VAC there. But what you will do is where the 120 VAC comes out of your timer, hook them two power leads to the transformer where that it says 120 VAC input (Primary). Make sure that you bring the ground wire with them and hook it to the chassis of the transformer. Then on the secondary side of the transformer you will have 12 volts AC. Two wires you will hook them to the diode bridge where that it has to signs that looks like an S lying down. Install your inline fuse in one of those conductors between the transformer and the diode bridge. The other two terminals on the bridge one will be marked + and the other -. You will hook your positive (red) wire of the bilge pump to the + and the negative (black) wire to the -. Then you should have it. Let me know if you need any more help. By the way for anyone else reading this. I have deigned this for this specific pump if you try this on something else it may need different power and probably will not work.

9. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    What is the Grainger item? Item #?

When I click the link it tells me I have timed out on their site & sends me to their home page.

NEVER MIND...I GOT IT TO WORK! THANKS!

10. Muleskinner

Muleskinner New Member

State:
    Ms.
    That Radio shack would have had that xfmr. also but they didn't online. they may have it at their store or maybe they could order it. I would probably check with them it may be cheaper there i don't know.

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I can tell you a real cheap way if you are willing to use a deep cycle battery and your timer you already have.

All you need to do is route 120v AC through the timer.
    The load coming out of the timer goes to an icecube relay with a 120 volt coil and normally open contacts.
    You fire the coil with the 120volts as needed. Your 12 volts will feed through the contacts when the coil makes the contacts.
    Easy to do and probally 10-15 bucks with what you have.
    I may even have the icecube, I'd have to look.

12. bw19

bw19 New Member

State:
    Texas
    bassaddict69, here are two easy ways to make it work. First, plug your 110v timer into the wall and use it to make your setup cycle on and off. Then connect the 110v plug of a battery charger in the output of the timer. The timer will make the charger come on and off. Use the 12v leads of the charger to run your bilge pump. You will have to fashion a way to connect the bilge pump to the charger output.

If you don't want to use a battery charger, Radio Shack sells a small power supply that runs on 110v and puts out 4-6 amps of 12v, plenty to run you bilge pump. I bought one a few years ago, part number RPS1204, Regulated DC Power Supply, price was $25 then. It has terminal outputs and a cigarette plug output.