Converting 12v to 110?

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by bassadict69, Nov 30, 2006.

1. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    I have a 12v bilge pump that I am using to circulate the water through a filter on the bait tank I built. I would like to put a timer on the system to turn the pump on several times a day for about an hours or so each time but cannot find a timer for a 12v system.

I have a 110v timer at the house...Is there a way to convert the 12v setup to a 110 system? Does anyone make a convertor or transformer to do this?

An invertor is out since I do not have a lighter plug available to plug it into.

I found a 110v bilge pump but it is $100 +

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    An inverter *is* the device that converts 12V DC to 110V AC. It's not against the law to cut the lighter plug off and wire it directly to your battery. Or to install a cigarette lighter outlet in the boat.

But that's not the solution you want.

What you're looking for is a livewell timer. They're available quite commonly, just search Google for them. Priced around $30.

3. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    I have looked at the livewell timers & all I have found is one that has a max run time of about 3 minutes with an off time of about 5 minutes.

I am wanting to run it for like an hour several times a day...

I may have to look into the convertors...I never thought about cutting the plug off & hooking straight to the battery. How would I know which wire was Pos & which was Neg?

4. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    James you could turn a battery charger on/off with the timer and connect a bilge pump to the charger. Even simpler, you could get an aquarium Power Head from the pet supply store. It will really move the water and is 110V.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    this is an old thread but in case anyone else is wondering the simplest way to do it with what he has.
    A cheap ice cube relay with a 120 volt coil and normally open contacts.
    You would fire the coil with the timer which would make the contacts going from battery to pump.