Convert DC aerator to AC

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by solomon, Apr 19, 2006.

1. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Can you take a 12V DC aerator and fix it to where you can plug it in a wall outlet? If so, how do you make it work?

2. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Solomon, You would have to by a 12v dc power supply to make it work. Radio shack would have it, you just need to tell them how many watts or amps it pulls...

3. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    If I follow what you are asking the answer is no. The 12v dc alternator is only going to give you 12v dc. You would have to get an inverter to change it to AC for an outlet. They sell the inverters at walmart and can be used to power small appliances.

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    just get a power supply like was stated that will let you run it in the garage etc.

5. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It might be cheaper to buy one of the 110v airpumps for an aqurium.You can get one for around $5 new.If you want to use the one you have then get a converter or transformer like suggested.

6. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Thanks guys, I think I'll just get a power supply. I don't feel like taking the aerator back, and the style it is will work really good on my new bait tank. Guy next door is reopening a restaurant there and he gave me two big deep freezes out of the building that he didn't want. I just had to roll em across the parking lot. Want to keep bream in em. I've looked at the setups in the library, but I don't want to keep em for a week at the most, so I think recirculating water through a spray bar ought to work ok.

7. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    it will work i have a 30 gal bait well i leave hooked up all time ( in fishing season 12 mts )LOL JUST CHANGED 12 v pump this year. 5 yr old , i run it off a spare batt. with a small charger attached puls about 10 amps. no prob, keeps bait for mts pearch/ shad /minnows just clean couple times a year. just make sure ur spray is hard like 3/64 holes with like 750gph pump will work fine. one prob after about a week u need a throw net to catch them suckers they will jump over ur scoop . i also use a commercial shad keeper. in bait tank keep below 75 degrees. good luckl

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    hook it up to a 12v battery charger, or cut the end off of a 12v wall adapter (like a video game adapter) splice wires and attach. just make sure you have polarities correct or your pump will run hot. you can get those 12v adapters all day long at thrift stores for $1 or even $.50.

9. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I bought an adapter at radio shack. It converts AC to 12V DC at max 1200 mA. The aerator has a 4 amp fuse so that should work right?

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I would think 1200 Ma should be Ok, I doubt the pump pulls more than 1 amp.
    1000 Ma = 1 Amp.

The Amp rating my be on the pump.

11. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Hooked it up today and it works great. I just need to change out the pvc spray bar for one with much smaller holes. It's not creating enough bubbles.