Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bigcatpat mentioned the Avet reels and has me drooling. Are there any tricks to using a reel without a level wind? Will they still spool nicely or do they need a little guidance?
I am looking at the SX and MX models and I do alot of casting and was wondering if I can get away without the M.C. function they offer for backlashing or if the M.C. is apsolutely the way to go if you plan on casting hard from the bank.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
I have a Penn No. 9 reel without a levelwind. I don't use it anymore because it's an antique. Yep, you have to gide your line back on with your thumb upon retrieve.. I don't like using it anymore since I got Abus. It's actually a trolling reel but will cast fairly well nevertheless.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Thumb thumb thumb....only cast control you need. Along with some practice. I don't use the control on any reels for the most part, even when bass fishing and such. People wonder how I cast so far. Yesterday I was using a reel with 125yds of 65lb braid on a 6'6" muskie rod and casting the almost the complete spool with 1.5oz of lead. Had the magnetic set on 2, the spool tension loose enough to cause a bit of "fluff" on take-off, the ragged edge of backlash hell.

·
Registered
182 Posts
A levelwind is just something else to break on a big fish. Without a levelwind you just use your other hand to guide the line onto the spool. It'll become second nature in no time.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I use my thumb for spool tension when casting and i have to tell ya...with 50# Power Pro braid my thumb gets pretty hot sometimes, i would imagine that using a finger to guide braided line back onto the spool while reeling in large bait and sinkers could get a bit painful after a while...i think ill stick to my level-wind.

·
Registered
92 Posts
You know I wish I would stop experimentin’, I just got to the point where I could almost relax,fishin with my Penn 109(level wind) Now I grab a Penn 155 ,because they are so beautiful ,and find out I have another trick to learn with my thumb,never gave that a thought !Then I hear that that is the way I was supposed to fish all along.However those older Penn conventionals are SO freakin’ beautiful it would be a pure di hell shame to own one and not be able to play with it! Anybody else that thinks like that? I really did not need any more poles either

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I got two Avets. One is a non level wind, great reel. Brought in alot of big flats with it. The other is the new model star drag reel they came out with, so far it pretty nice. They will last a life time if you take care of them.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I use my thumb for spool tension when casting and i have to tell ya...with 50# Power Pro braid my thumb gets pretty hot sometimes, i would imagine that using a finger to guide braided line back onto the spool while reeling in large bait and sinkers could get a bit painful after a while...i think ill stick to my level-wind.
Years ago, before all these neat casting helper's, we controlled the spool completely wit our thumb. I have read about some ot the guy's fixing a leather patch over the spool and using it the save their thumb>

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
That was more for the old knuckle busters...the only drag they came with was your thumb 😂😂😂

1 - 13 of 13 Posts