Conventional Levelwind advice needed.

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Hopper, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Hopper

Hopper New Member

State:
    NC
    I am looking around for a good level wind conventional reel with a clicker that will be able to hold a least 200 yards of 20# test but also able to hold 40-50# test. I want to put it on a 7' MH Tiger Stick to fish for monster cats and fish off the planks of the Outer Banks.

Thanks for any suggestions

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I'm pretty sure that the 6000 sized Abu Garcia Reels will hold that much 20lb line. The 7000 and up definitely will. As for being able to handle the bigger line at that point I would start to think about using superline.

3. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hopper you would need to find a monster of a reel. Penn fishing makes a bunch of real that will handle 40 or 50 but there for umm lets say water with salt in it.LOL.

http://catfishconnection.com/

They might have what your looking for!

4. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Try a Penn 320 GT2 or a Penn 330 GTI. I find that they hold quite a bit of line. If you dont have that much money to spend, get a Shakespeare Tidewater. I have had mine for over a year with no problems to speak of whatsoever. If you want the easy to cast ones, I would go with the garcias (or the Tidewater), since Penns can cast a country mile, but you have to train your thumb pretty well to get it to. I hope this helps :big_smile:

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    My Abu 7000 will hold 270 yards of 20 lb test line. I have no idea why you would want to spool an entire reel of that heavier line - seems like using it as a leader may be a good idea - but even whales should not require 40/50 lb. test.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would go with a garcia 7000, the 6500 will work but wont hold as much line..The penn 310 gti, and 320 gt2 are god reels I have both.

7. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    :crazy: thats alot of lb test. keep in mind 20 lb test can catch say a 40 lb fish just set your drag and play them out. maybe go with a ambassader 6500 with 30 lb you should be able to catch a monster fish, good luck

8. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    personally i like the 20lb test big game triline on my 6500 and 5500 s. but i can see your point far as keeping them out of the log jams.50lb test will move all the logs out and a penn will winch them

9. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I know there are some really great reels out there. I own a couple of 6500's but I also own about 20 Penn's from the 9, 109, 209, 309, and a pair of 320 GTi's. I've never owned a more dependable reel. I would recommend them to anyone.
    Don

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Providence has provided me with gear.I have a Shimano Level Wind 2000 LD,rated for 300 yards of 20 lb.mono.Great clicker and the lever drag is rated for a maximum of 33 lbs.of drag.That should handle heavy lines just fine.I also have a Penn 345 GTI Level Wind that is rated for 375 yards of 50 lb.mono.or 600 yds. of the 30 lb.mono that I have on it.Both have heavy duty level winds,Aluminum spools and 4 stainless ball bearings.I also have a Mitchel Riptide 4/0 GL.rated for 550 yards of 38 lb.mono.It has a heavy duty level wind,aluminum spool and 2 ball bearings.They are my "Dual Water" rigs for fresh and salt water.This old cripple has a Son and Grandson to provide him with the muscle power when these rigs are used.peewee-williams