Controls

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by seahaggy, Jan 22, 2008.

1. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Hey Brothers.... Got a boat motor question.I tried to get an answer on Bubbas Repair sight but nadda.So i thought might as well ask here.It will help me to stay off E-Bay.Between this sight and that sight might as well get the net im hooked.Anyway i managed to finally get one of those stick steering deals and am going to get rid of that tiller setup which is not bad but when you go miles and miles up or down the river it gets somewhat tiresome useing that type of setup.My One Million dollar question is the controls part i need to get for the motor.She is a 1990 30HP Evinrude push button start.The trottle is on the right and forward/reverse on the left as you would look at her sitting in the boat.I had those three lifelines but the phone a friend did'nt really know 100% for sure.I used my 50/50 and have narrowed it down to a duel control setup or i have seen also the single control setup and even an electric???So im going to use my final lifeline and ask the BOC. The all knowing fishing sight that knows everything A to Z about such things.Means a Million to me guys.Thanks.....PS Need all the information on how to understand woman all the time in every situation. lol.Said i talked in my sleep a little the other night and said Good Lord we need a bigger net.The next morning told me your not normal most men dream of beautiful woman you dream of fishing.{Hey what can i say so i told her i already got a beautiful woman im still after that world record catfish.} She told me to Dream on lol lol.

2. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am not sure if I understand the question, but I have owned a stick steer boat. Mine was a 16/42 lowe with a 96 25 merc. I liked the boat alot but had to sell. The throttle was on the right and the steer on the left. Two seperate deals. I think now that it would be ideal for bodies of water that are full of trees or shallow water because I sat in the very front of the boat and could see everything. Hope I'n not stepping on anyones toes here.

3. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    Shadguts I don't see why you would be stepin on anyones toes! I Own two of those stick steers right now and the people that don't like them probably like something else. and, thats about as close as you can pin it down to. As to converting his tiller steer to a stick or wheel steering it shouldn't be to much problem. The reason no one has stepped in to answer is because we cant see the boat and how it has to be laid out to install the hardware The push button start I'm assuming is in the end of the tiller so all you have to do is extend the wires to a point up wherever you want to set. You have to be able to shift forward and reverse so you have to buy ,borrow, steal the controls for that.. Approximately$200.00 bucks. Now as to steering the complete kits are available from a bunch of places. I suggest (iboats.com) or(cabelas) or just look at a lot of used boats in back yards in your neighborhood. lots of people will give them to you just to get them hauled off and quit watching so many game shows ,,,If you lived closer I'd even help you do it jus for fun
    Stubby in Kansasa

4. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    OK Marshall, disregard the previous post-you're the mechanic not me:embarassed:

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Marshall may be the mechanic, but you gave a very good answer Stubby. I had one of those stick boats down in Louisiana. I was the terror of the Cypress groves and the aligators. Wasn't nothing I couldn't do. lOL

6. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks guys but im okay with the steering part i was wondering about the controls setup for the throttle and shifter.Duel or Single?:smile2:

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    As I recollect, there are two sticks. One controls your port/starboard movement, the other controls your speed. The futher forward you push the stick, the faster you go. If you pull the stick to the rear, your in reverse. And, the farther to the rear you pull the stick, the faster that goes. Sees like my left hand was in control of directional movement and my right was the speed control. That what your asking? There was only two sticks for the whole setup. So for your question - "throttle and shifter.Duel or Single" I'd say the answer was single.

8. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Yes thats what i was after you see on this evinrude the throttle is on one side and the shifter is in the other of the motor and i did not know if it would take a single or duel control setup for my shifter and throttle.

9. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    Marshall you could actually use either one. A dual control has one lever that controls the shift and the other controls the gas. with the dual lever control you actually shift into gear with one lever and then feed gas with the other lever. On a single lever control the first inch or so shifts into gear and then you ease it on into the gas feed part. I've owned both and there isn't much benifit of one over the other that I can see. I think the single lever type probable came in back in the 60's.

10. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks guys thats what i needed to know now.Now i can get back on E-Bay and see what i can find.

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I'm kinda partial to the two stick model. Makes me feel like I'm doing something. Got a boat in my back yard I'm gonna make a stick steering boat. The boat was gave to me, but I can't get the registration - haven't really worked on that yet - been too busy fishing. LOL