Controlling Fleas

Discussion in 'Hunting Dogs Talk' started by Indigo Flats, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    What is the best way to control fleas? I have been putting ADVANTAGE on my dogs and it will keep the ticks off but has no effect on fleas. What kind of dips or sprays do you use?

2. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    Have you tried giving them flea collars? Also, you should clean their bedding thoroughly; those flea eggs are pretty tough.

-- Rich

3. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Flea collars have no effect. My wife and I have had house dogs since we were married forty years ago. Never have we had this problem. We live in the country and our dogs have the run of the place. As I said the ADVANTAGE keeps ticks off but apparently the fleas are now immune to ADVANTAGE.

4. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Get yourself some Frontline,that's what I use. It kills both fleas,their eggs, and ticks. It's good stuff!!---------Sister Pat:big_smile:

5. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Like Pat said get some Frontline. I used to work for the company that makes Advantage. Tried it once and went and got my money back. I have a German Shorthair and it keeps on working even when he goes swimmin. Get it out and he will come and stand so I can apply it. Guaranteed to work.

7. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    our dogs got fleas and the house was over run by them. We used bombs etc. And found 20 team borax killed all the little buggers. Safe wont hurt anything. We just sprinkled it in the carpets and dog beds. It sucks the juices out of the fleas. It works.
    Bill

8. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    The theory behind the Borax is that on a microscopic level the crystals of the boric acid are sharp and abrasive and cut the waxy protective coating on insects exoskeletons causing them do dehydrate. The only drawback to this is that it's a slow acting method of treatment...do not expect an overnight "fix"

Sanitation is the key for controling fleas...clean animals,clean bedding and clean living quarters make it hard for a flea to survive. Flea larvae can live on organic materials and droppings of adult fleas in animal bedding.

Frontline is good,I use it on my dogs. My wife worked in a vet clinic for several years and said they used a product called Capstar when badly infested animals came in and said the dead fleas would outline the pets in their cages...dunno if it's an over he counter or restricted use only product.

If you have them in your house vacuuming is an effective way to remove fleas from your carpet/furniture. Just be sure to throw the bag away as a vacuum does not kill the fleas and they can crawl back out of the bag to re-infest your home. Vacuuming up a little flea and tick powder can kill fleas in the bag.

If you choose chemical control only use products that are labled for fleas and use per manufacters directions. By mixxing the flea spray stronger than recomended risks making you and your pets ill. Also look for products with IGRs (insect growth regulators), IGRs prevent the larval stages from developing into adult, breeding fleas.

hope this helps...

9. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Indigo: Frontline is your best bet. Smuggo (Chemical Ali) knows what he's talking about. Pay close attention to him. He has some good advice. John

10. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I got some stuff from a pet store that you mix with water and spray all over your yard it kills fleas, mosquitos, ticks and a bunch of other insects.

11. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    For our outside dogs We use medicated cattle ear tags . Do not put it on your dog hang a little peace of one on and under the dog house it will control fleas ticks, flies
    you can also hang them around your porch to keep the flies away

for the inside dog we use K-9 Advantix IT WORKS GREAT!!

12. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Thanks for the advice. I will try the suggestions especially Frontline.

13. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    frontline early in the spring, and then treat lawn, dogs, and sleeping areas with sevin 10 (NOT sevin5).

sevin dust will not harm your dogs. i have 5 dogs, from 15 to 115lbs and i use it on all of them. have done so for several years. i have 3/4 of an acre yard and 3 or 4 10lb bagc applied twice a year works wonders. just sprinkle it on your dog and rub it in, then sprinkle it on their bedding and in shady areas of the yard.

it will work indoors, but it makes a mess. and don't treat your lawn if there is rain forecast - it washes away quickly and your money is wasted. i buy sevin 10 from our local lowes.

14. chadf

chadf New Member

State:
    Bossier, La
    if you only have 1 dog then go with the frontline. If you have mutliple dogs you can try Bayer tree and shrub in the garden section of lowes or homedepot. It has the same active ingriedent as advantage but is much more dilute. about 15ML for a 70# dog.

15. gonecatn

gonecatn New Member

State:
    arizona
    Just incase anyone wants to try the frontline thats been recommended here (I use it to, well not me, the dog does :). Don't get it from the vet. Go to
    http://www.1800petmeds.com
    I got 3 packs for the price of one from the vet. That's 60 bucks in your pocket or gas tank in the boat or bait........

16. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I messed around and got fleas in the house and I had the wife to Vacuum the carpet good and I got a bread pan and put soapey water in it and hung a drop light (one of those kind with the bugel looking refector around the bulb and a squeeze clamp) and hung it over the pan of soapy water at night with the other lights out. What it will do is the fleas will jump toward the light and fall in the soapy water and drown. You will be surprised at the fleas in the pan the next morning and keep using it till you see no more fleas in the pan.

17. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Try to feed your dogs a garlic clove a week in there food.
    It has to be a fresh clove and see how it does fer you,unc told me this and it works for my 4 dogs. It is a ole wives tale/home remedy and it works fer me....so check it out.....it is prety good fer the pennies it cost.(LOL)
    Just get them to eat it!

18. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    we treated our yard with corn glutton meal and dried molases earlier this summer to get rid of the fleas and mosquitos that moved in this year. It worked to repel them out of the treated area. My dog runs freely while i am home so she would get into other areas that were not treated. we used the frontline for her and that kept ALL fleas and ticks off of her. She also doesnt seem to be bothered by mosquitos. The Advantage did not work for me, i tried it for 3 months with no results and just went and got the good stuff