Controlled drift

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by center12, Jun 28, 2008.

1. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Tom(n2fishn), I read a post you made about controlled drifting. In that post it sounds like you "slip" nose into the wind and use the trolling motor to control boat speed and direction.........sound about right?? Anyway, have you ever tried "pulling" into the wind? I've got more than enough battery to go all day in a moderate wind and was thinking about following breaklines on the GPS. I can spider rig for crappie at .3-.5 mph(gps) so thought about giving cat's a try with a similar technique. Won't use any of those nasty shad or stinkbait in my pretty boat, but thought I could use chunked whitebass for bait(busting the flats on Clinton big time).

Warning.......Garmin E-trex Legends don't float:embarassed:. Supposedly my new gpsmap 76s does:cool2:

2. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    That would work.I will go both ways just depends on the wind.I would rather go into the wind (better control) but if the winds are over 15-20mph i like to let it slip backwards.Just works better for me and my boat.

Just catch some shad in the old cat boat and take them in a bag
    (no mess)..!

I know a guy thats been catching some nice cats already driffting at Clinton.

3. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    No mess.........you'll have to fish with me sometime Tom!! I'm still finding dead minnows in the boat from the crappie tournament last Sunday.........we did poorly, for those with inquiring minds:smile2:.

Back to the drift thing, do you drift a Carolina type rig or a Kentucky rig.........or some bastardized hybrid Kansas rig:cool2:. Thanks for the incite. Charlie

4. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I like to use a three way with about a 18" leader and about a 8-12" drop to the sinker.

I like to keep my lines right beside/under the boat not drifting out.And I mainly hold my rods and just let the weight tick the bottom.Way less hang up's this way and better control and fill.

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Thank You Tom for the advice.I drift fish for Channel cat all the time and have never tried your way.I have always kicked the boat sideways popped out two drift socks if the wind called for it and My lines out about 30 yards or so and have always done pretty good but i will try it your way.Thanks again and Reps. your way. J.D.

6. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Thanks John for the reps...i too will drift sideway's especially if i have 3-4 people in the boat.But if its just me or a couple guys with me i have better luck staright down using the elec motor.Plus by holding the rod you get to fill the strike.Which to me about 70% of the fun.

7. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Charlie, if you don't like to smell up your purdy boat, you might try Gulp
    minnows drifted with a leadhead jig. I've hit a couple of cats from the
    bank on these and I imagine they might work for you too. There are other
    non-stink prepared baits out there that I have seen but recently my
    bookmark list got eaten somehow.(Computers are largely a mystery to
    me, in spite of my furtive attempts to understand more about them.)
    There's a company out there that makes baits from standard food items
    and they have some baits designed with cats in mind which caught my
    eye in passing this spring, but I ran out of money before I could buy
    any. I'm gonna have to find those links again, but I've just been lazy.

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds smart to me if you are fishing a body that has no current. Otherwise let the water do the work for you