Controlled Drift on the Missouri

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by duckalot, Sep 4, 2009.

1. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well after reading Johns last article in the last In-Fishermen on fishing a Controlled Drift I decided I would devote my whole day to practicing this technique. I just spent 8 1/2 hours on 10 miles of river and I am exhausted!!!! Defiantly a learning experience!! On the list of things I learned are, (1) Braided line is a must. the rig I stared out with had 50 lbs Mono and was fine bumping right behind the boat, but once I got a good distance from the boat I lost feel with the bottom and could feel line stretch. (2) My river rods are to heavy and will wear you out. (3) My 55 or 60 (not sure) pound thrust trolling motor is not enough motor.
    This is what I ended up doing. I took with me Three pieces of Log chain In 2-4 ft lengths. Plus I had a Two ft piece of Barge Chain (3 inch links) witch weighted around Ten pounds. According to my Gps the current was moving me just under 3mph. And after messing with different lengths of Chain and rope I ended up with 4 ft of log chain and the 2ft piece of barge chain linked together on the end of 125 ft of rope. This in the main channel would slow me to 1.55-1.65 mph. This was better, but I was still running up on my bait faster then I could walk it away from the boat. Twenty-Thirty ft below the boat was all I could get. BUT, with this drag I was then able to kick my trolling motor on and slow my drift to 1 mph and even less. And thats when I was able to walk my baits the furthest down stream below the Boat. I ONLY caught Three fish all day with the biggest being just over Six pounds, But for me I thought it was a Successfull mission!! And just for the record when all three fish hit I never felt a pull down, But felt complete slack in the line as if the line had been cut right at the water!!! I learned after the first fish when you felt the slack line to reel down and the fish was there. For Bait I was using Skip Jack filleted in long skinny Strips (Two snelled hooks) and Asian carp filet's. Two fish bit skip jack and one took Asian. On my immediate shopping list is a new Heavy/Extra Heavy graphite rod with line counter reel and a new spool of 80 or 100 pound power pro!! A new 100 pound thrust auto pilot would be nice but not in this years budget. LOL :sad2:

Sorry for Such a LONG post, But I have been alone on the river all day.:smile2: Tight Lines,
    Rob

2. Scaley Cat

Scaley Cat Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks Rob for your post. I have been planning to do the same thing my next time out. I will remember the things you shared here.

3. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Try 2 to 3 10 lb window weights wired to some chain :wink: and shortten ya anchor to line to 40 ft and use 2 to 3 ounce bank weights on ya rods with a 3 way rig. Tried and true method. On the Mo use ya trollen motor to shift with the channel and dodge bouys. Expect a few hang ups it happens logs ect. And Be perepared to drift 20 miles of river to get good fish. Use ya trollen motor to hug rip-rap banks and trail dikes as its the best areas to drift. I seem to do the best @ channel changes and along the deep water 25 to 30 ft along the trail dike lines that runn with the box dikes on the MO in the gasconade area. Juggres helped me get the pattern. It ant ant a numbers game but good fish can be caught. Yea gona share this try pitchen a 1/2 ounce jig ahead of dikes to and even to hold in ya hand wile ya drift with a big chub or cut bait the results can scare ya.:wink: make shure its a good stout jig head saltwater style. 3 rods a drift and one to pitch out and work back.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  4. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Thanks Rob. I have been fishing the Mo. for years and wondered just how much trolling motor it would take. I have tried just drifting with the current and had very little luck. But I have caught a couple. I had some friends that did the log chain thing and it just sounded like a lot of work. I am lazy.

5. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Thanks! I tried that also a few times after catching trout on the Kenai River the same way, but with no luck. Now I see I was doing it wrong by simply dragging behind freely, I guess un-controlled drift. I'll have to try your developing method and experiment with that a bit.

6. ShotgunBill

ShotgunBill New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have been wanting to do it but had not been able to yet. The question I want to know is how much juice as left in your batteries. I have 72 pound thrust on a 2070 triton. I think if I go all day I will need extra batteries. I just run normal deepcycle trolling motor batteries. I have to try it before teal season.