Contra Loma Reservoir

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by EastBayPunk, Jan 11, 2007.

1. EastBayPunk

EastBayPunk New Member

State:
    California
    Hi guys, I have been having problems hooking into Catfish. My friends and I went to Contra Loma reservoir in Antioch, California last weekend. Two of my friends have a float tube and were catching some catfish suspended from the bottom. I don't have a float tube, so I was fishing from a dock. I decided I would try a slip float rig so I could suspend my bait down to about 25 feet.My problem is that I would get hits where my bobber would bob down a couple times, and then it would just stop.. I was using chicken liver. I dunno if I should try something like Mackeral or what.. I justw anted these damn cats to take the bait and keep it down... any suggestions are appreciated.

2. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    First off Craig, let me welcome you to the BOC.
    Now, in regards to your slip float rig you might try adding some weight to the line just above the leader so the float is easier to pull under. when the bite is slow due to cold water the fish wont hold on to the bait if they feel too much resistance from the float.

3. EastBayPunk

EastBayPunk New Member

State:
    California
    Yeah, I should have described my rig more. I do have an egg sinker slipped on right above the swivel and leader... so the bobber is fairly easy to pull under. I may try adding a little more weight, and see if that helps.

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Brother Craig, is the cats taking your bait? You can try some tread ( 12 in) loop it around the liver and cinch a few times. This will help it to stay on better. Now Tom is right. Cats right now don't normally hit quick and hard (at least around here in Fresno). They hold it a lot softly and longer. I try to leave slack or use my bait runner or penn with clicker. I actually prefer to watch the line. Be patient:wink: There are some brothers up in your woods and will be along shortly. Welcome to the best dang cat site out there. Enjoy:big_smile:

5. EastBayPunk

EastBayPunk New Member

State:
    California
    They don't usually steal it, they take part of it though. Maybe I should try smaller pieces. I am gonna give mackerel a try this weekend.

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    You can also try treble hooks too. Keep at it. Let us know how it goes:wink:

7. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Craig dont fish contra loma. Unless you can get in a boat or float like your buddies your waisting your time there. You have the delta to the east and north of you, and the Auquaduct south eastabout 20 min away. Hit the antioch pier, you will have to deal with some shakers but the cats are there. Or go accross the bridge to rio vista, always a good place. If you dont mind a thirty min ride you can go out to discovery bay. All these places are good but stay away from contra loma.