Continuous Lake Norman Fishing Report

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Rather than start a new thread for LKN fishing reports each week I will just use this thread.

Today (July 13, 2007) was a cloudy day with N to NE winds of 3 to 8 MPH and the water (surface) temp. was 84 to 86 degrees. Three boats that I know of were fishing this morning for cats, plus two NCDNR shocker boats. Two of the three catfish boats caught 10 fish each and one of the two caught 30 white perch. It was a late bite, starting about 9 AM and lasting until around 10:45 AM. My group had two doubles and the other boat had one. I was using carp, bass and white perch strips and the other boat was using white perch only. The third boat got into some schooling bass and white perch and only caught one cat by accident, but got a bunch of bait for the freezer. I am sure the shocker boat caught more bass, perch, cats, crappies, etc. than every body combined fishing on the lake.

I have not detected a thermocline on LKN as of this date.

2. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Lite wind out of the North, water temp. was 82 to 83 degrees. Work Creek, off of Reid's Creek. Started at 6:15 AM and finished at 8:30 AM. One large soft shell turtle, 12 or so white perch, one 6 pound channel, 6 blues in the range of 6 to 8 pounds and two small ones. Two of the larger blues still had eggs in them. One blue appeared to have already spawned based on the marks on the body. The blues and the channel hit white perch heads. Only caught one fish off of white perch filets. Had to leave the fish due to three ski boats which were all coming within 75 to 100' of my boat. :angry:

3. MERUSS

MERUSS New Member

State:
    nc
    hey mac nice report,
    I went to norman at 6;00 and fished till 11:00 and got squat!!
    Used live bream and cut shad. Had only two bites and muffed them both.
    I fished at stumpy creek marked alot of bait but not many big arches.
    Am I in the wrong spot or maybe I can't catch a catfish on Norman??
    Have a great day I did even with no fish.:big_smile:

4. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Bro., you need to cut the bream/gill up. Filet the side meat and then cut the head off. Cut the shad at an angle cut at the stomach. Then use the head as a bait and the side meat as a bait for both the bream and shad. Walter Lively (new Carolinas Catfish Club member) and myself fished Stumpy Monday AM and did alright (5 to 7 fish, can't remember which). We had two good pole benders but, they did not make it to the boat. Live bait is okay for flats at night but, during the day time hours it appears that cut bait is the king for both blues and flats.

5. MERUSS

MERUSS New Member

State:
    nc
    Thanks for the info I might give it another shot in the morning:wink:

6. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Jake Bussonlini, author of new book about sonar and what it depicts and his brother in-law, Ron furnished me the following report. They fished in Reids Creek in close proximity to Work Creek from 8 AM until a little after 12 PM. They caught 29 cats, mostly channels and a few 4 to 7 pound blues on cut bait drifting. The area they fished has several islands, above and below ground, and is fairly shallow (1 to less than 20'), but located close to a main channel.

My fun fishing partner, Cliff, took his Step Father and son fishing on the same date and fished (jigged) a long point close to Marker11 (next to a small island) and caught a striper, plenty of white perch and several cats. Later they drifted the same area and caught some more cats in the 3 to 6 pound class. Cliff was using white perch strips and heads. Cliff fished in 10 to 40 feet of water.

7. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Went fun fishing with my weekly partner, Cliff Compton DDS (used his 24' craft), in the area of Marker D9 and worked some long points. We would catch a few blues working our way out to the end of the points and in 28 to 32' of water we would find the white perch. Weather man called for winds of 2 to 3 MPH out of the southwest but, as usual he got it wrong. Water temp. (surface) was 84 degrees and water was stained.

Not a good day for numbers or size. Cliff caught 6 blues and I caught 3. Bait of choice was white perch heads and filets of perch, what else! Fished maybe 3.5 hours and called it a day. Very little boat traffic and not a skier in sight. :big_smile:

8. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Yesterday, we had a flathead bite (slight lean on the rod) but, it did not follow thru. Went back this morning and found little or no wind, blue bird sky and no boat in sight. Set up six rods for a slow drift and baited the rigs with live bream, white perch heads and carp strips. Caught some 3 to 6 pound blues for the first hour and then made a turn to go back where we had the flathead bite yesterday. On the turn, the inside long line started to made the rod lean just a little bit. I picked it up and relased the reel into a free spool position with my thumb on the spool and the line started moving. Let some 50 to 75 feet out and then locked it down. Rod loaded up and then the fun began. See attached photo's. PS, had to get another fisherman to take photo.

9. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Nice fish man. Didn't know that Norman had flatheads like that in it.

10. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Nice fish Mac, I know he was a welcome edition.

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Nice flattie Mac!! Did you get to put a scale on her?

12. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    WylieCat, no biggie likes yours, it weighed in at 29.8#.

13. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i heard report of some stripers getting caught at night on norman. man said he caught 22 in one night. no big ones but average for norman. live bait drifting blue back herring.

nice flat too!

14. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    I can believe that! The evidence is on the water the next morning with me seeing two or three dead every morning. NCDNR wants people to keep them (stripers) that they catch during the summer. They (stripers) wear themselves out and a large percentage die when released due to the stress of being caught and the hot water. Limit is four stripers per person (two under 20" I believe from June to the last of August).

15. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Catfishrus, the striper situation is not so good on LKN and there are a lot of reasons why. The NCDNR stocks approx. 165,000 fingerlings (about 1" long) each year and of that total approx. 10% live to be 20" long, which takes several years of growth. That leaves about 16,500 20" stripers available to be harvested per year. Some people estimate that there are 7,500 striper fishermen fishing LKN each year. If each fisherman got one limit per year that would equal 30,000 stripers. But, we all know that this is not the case and as someone on the board has stated many times, only 10 percent of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish.

With little or no current, LKN cannot move enough water to cool down the lower parts of the lake and thus, oxygen supply at the lower depths is poor to none at all. Add to this equations is the hot water flow from Marshall and McQuire. In years past we have had fish (striper and baitfish) kills in the thousands. In the eighties and early nineties we had aerators located thru out the lake and there were plenty of stripers and the limit was eight per day and it was nothing to accomplish this quota, along with a big fish of 18 to 20# plus. Now, the average size striper is around 5 pounds.

So, when I hear of a fisherman catching 20 or so stripers during the summer I am very discouraged. I can not totally blame him or her for their catch or efforts, because they don't know what they are doing to the supply. They probably think by releasing those over the limit they have done a good thing. But, we know that releasing a striper in warm water conditions will not lead to that fish living. Some do, but there are some that don't. The striper will stress itself out
    when caught, which leads to them using up their oxygen supply and then they are released at the top of the water surface in 82 to 86 degree water with little or no oxygen to get them going again. Sad, but true.

I did not mean to preach, but I did want to share my limited knowledge of the striper situation on LKN and to make people think before they act. Mac

16. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    It has been and up and down week for catfishing on Norman. One day it is hot and the next day just so-so. A couple of nice fish were caught, of which I got two and some others got two. Wind has been out of the southwest to northeast and we have had some cloud cover up to 8:30 AM+-. Water temp. has hung around 82 to 86 degrees. Some guys have had success fishing deep water points and getting a couple off each point. I have stayed in the back of creeks and did okay (8 to 16 per outing, plus some white perch). Still no reports of any big blues.

I fished today with a young lady of seven years of age and she caught 9 cats (8 blues, largest 5.2# and one channel cat). I would leave the rod in the rod holder and she would reel them in. She had a ball! See attachment.

17. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    It's funny that you guys are talking about stripers. I just got back from AZ visiting some family and I did some striper fishing out there. Man was it fun! We fished off a dcok under the lights for about 3.5 hours and caught around 80 betwen three of us. This lake has so many stripers that DMR as raised the limits on them. Most were between 5 and 7 lbs. with the big boy going 14 lb. for the night. Now that was fun. It was like brim fishing for stripers. Saw some nice flats that came out of there too. Overall a nice trip! Oh and I asked abot the mortality of the stripers and my buddy said, it's not even a problem. That water was 77 degrees and every one we turned loose swam off good. I asked him about fish kills and he said they hardly ever have fish kills out there. I find that interesting, but this lkae was 300 ft. deep at the dam. He said the water temp. creep s up around 80 degrees a little while and that's it. Hard to believe in Phoenix, but I seen it! We had some nice fillets too. We kept about 20 fish and the fish in ther can and do reproduce naturally. Huge river feeding the lake and I guess they have enough river to spawn in. Anyway, had fun out there. 110 degree weather is a little tough on me though!

18. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Lite Northeast wind, water temp. was 82.5 degrees and water was stained.

We fished the hump at Marker 3 and caught a couple and then went into Reids Creek and fished one of the streams that feeds the lake. Bite was slow on bream heads, so I fileted several of the bigger bream/gills and that was more to the cats liking. We ended up with close to thirty cats, mostly blues but two flatheads in the 8 to 12 pound range. Biggest blue was maybe 8 pounds. The best bite was in 25 to 34 feet of water, which we worked to death. Fishing time was approx. 4 hours.

I introduced him to the Sabiki rig and he was more excited about that than the cats. It blew him away catching 4 to 6 perch at a time. He liked my approach of just having a Sabiki out while you are fishing for cats and stripers and then hitting a school of then little white things and bringing them in.

For the last one and half hours we had two ski boats pulling kids on boards and coming within 75' of my boat, started to get upset, but each time it happen we caught a cat.

Last, but not least, we exchanged a few fishing stories while out this morning and it was nice to have someone on board who could assist me. He didn't have to, but wanted to. Some that know me, know that I would get uptight about taking someone of this caliber fishing, but it didn't last long. A good bite cures all ills. Mac

19. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Sounds like you had a pretty dang good morning. That little Sabiki rig drifting must be pretty darn fun. Also I was wondering if you had any pictures of these white perch. Just want to see if what I've been calling white bass all these years are actually perch or if I was catching both or what. Thanks in advance.

20. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    FATFLATTIE, per your request see attachments. Mac

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.