Contest

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by bowfin, Apr 8, 2007.

1. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I think we should have a contest to see what river in North Carolina can come up with the best catfishig

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Sounds great.Come on up to KY and get me and i'll help out all i can...:happy: J/K,I wish!

3. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    im with you man lets start it up.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I offered to do that last year basicly using the same rules as the BOC fishoffs.

No one entered a fish according to the rules after all the talk.

5. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    I did :sad2: i thought??? It was the cape fear VS the neuse and i thought we entered a few but none were posted from the cape fear???

6. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
  7. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    i will post on Wed one or two maybe even 12 for the cape fear. Im seeking revenge on those wiskers that got away last weekend.

8. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I thought I posted on that one too and the neuse was WAYYY in the lead.

9. CapeFear910

CapeFear910 New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carolina
    Judging from the pictures on the wall at Riverside there's no way the Cape Fear gets taken down.

10. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    as far as numbers go i think badin and high rock may give them a run but as far as size goes i know they got high rock beat.

high rock is full of pan sized cats. and i always have a good day at badin

11. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    So are we going to do it? If so I think the rules should be like last yearand lets put it where everyone can see. That way more people may join in and let's have it open to all the rivers in North Carolina.

12. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    how do we start it up?

13. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    is it gonna be all rivers in nc or just the neuse and fear cause if it is just fear and neuse ill never be fishing in it and what shall bethe rules??
    will it be a numbers race or a size race??

Eric

14. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    I say all rivers and its all about the numbers and size. Becasue you could have a couple big ones and thats it and win, or you could have a ton of small ones and win so both has to be in consideration.

15. kylekutta

kylekutta New Member

State:
    NC
    Sounds great! I am in just let me know what the rules are!

16. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I looked back at the posts from last year and markj was right. I only saw one fish that was entered by the rules. Everyone else just used it as a chat room. If your going to do it again everyone needs to follow the same rules. If you cant post a picture or didnt take the time to follow the rules then you shouldnt post. The rules from last year are posted in the second link by cattledogz, posted by markj. They sound pretty fair to me, just need someone to run the show and its on.

17. carolina hit man

carolina hit man New Member

State:
    NORTH CAROLINA
    i love to do this i fish both rivers so lets give it a try again

18. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The original concept was that it would be a study done by BOC members and not a contest. But the competive nature of people makes them want to throw the objective out the window for victory.
    A contest shows nothing of 2 bodies of water.
    A study would take into account different parameters such as there were 40 fishing trips on the Cape Fear compared to 15 on the Neuse river.
    A study would show where the most productive fishing per fishing trip within the study occurred on each river if the rules are followed.
    A study would show what bait produced the best results in each river for each species.
    If its a fishoff everyone one wants we have the BOC spring fish off fixing to get underway with around a 1000 dollars in cash and prizes up for grabs and I'm not going to detract from that.

This state lacks catfish studies in a time where there is a push to get the catfish recognized as a gamefish. A few of have been in contact with wildlife officials and state senators about gamefish status with promising feedback. There have been catfish studies on the rivers by universities but I am not aware of any fishing studies current or past.
    This study could be broken down when completed and be forwarded to the NCWRC.
    If that is our agreed intention then the guidelines for the study have to be strictly adhered to. I wouldnt want another global warming episode over the Neuse and Cape Fear rivers as I like to fish both myself.
    I dont have a problem with recognizing the biggest fish but I prefer we record all fish caught whether in a single photo or group photo.
    We could really tune this thing in a way to maximize what we all learn from these two bodies of water.

This idea doesnt have to stop here. A study by dedicated BOC members could be done on any body of water in the state with results submited to the NCWRC and state senators.

19. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Mark I couldn't agree more and I would enter the fish off but I already have 2 fishoff's that I have been voulnteered for so im kinda catching for two already. I just thought that it was going to be a contest becasue of the rules, but a study would be better. It could be the little bit of information that we need to get them recognized as a gamefish, so how is it going to work?

20. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    It would work basicly like a fishoff except the concentration is on the fish not the fisherman.
    Originally the question was which is the best river. The Cape Fear or the Neuse. A contest wouldnt tell you what the best river was and a study probally wont either, but a well done study would come closer to telling you where your best chance of success is at.