Contaminents In Lake Worth??

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by burlycat, Aug 27, 2006.

1. burlycat

burlycat New Member

State:
    Burleson,TX
    HEY EVERYONE,,GREAT SITE I LOOK FORWARD TO HANGIN' AROUND AWHILE,,,STILL CURIOUS ABOUT THAT GETOGETHER,,,WHERE AT???
    ANYWAYS,,iVE HEARD A RUMOR LATELY THAT LAKE WORTH IS FULL OF CONTAMINENTS AND THE FISHING IS RESTRICTED. IS THERE ANY TRUTH TO THIS???

2. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    First of all Larry, Welcome to the BOC.
    Second, Lake Worth has had high levels of Mercury content for a long time and the fish are not safe to eat. It's a good lake for fishing but you must not eat them. Catch and release only.

Third, We are haveing a gathering at Lake Tawakoni the last weekend in September at the State Park and you are welcome to attend if you can.
    All the info is in the Forum "BOC MEMBER GATHERINGS".
    Hope you can make it.

Thanks

3. burlycat

burlycat New Member

State:
    Burleson,TX
    Thanks L.M,,,catch all ya want,,dont eat,,,gotcha,,,,Ill go check into that forum about the gathering,,,,sounds like fun. By the way,,what is the cause of all the mercury???

4. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Carswell Air Base and Lockheed Aircraft plant. Do not eat anything out of that lake and don't swim in the water.

5. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Not sure why but it has been that way for many years now.

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Is there a swimming advisory on Lake Worth? Mercury poisoning from water is through ingestion, usually of fish fatty deposits. If water contact can give you mercury poisoning, then maybe one shouldn't even fish the lake, or wear long gloves. I checked the advisory for Lake Worth. Its not mercury levels that is the problem, but PCB's. That's even worse for fish consumption. With mercury, its usually only a few species affected, but PCB's makes all fish off limits for eating. Here's the link for the Advisory:

http://www.tdh.state.tx.us/bfds/ssd/map/pdf/lakeworth.pdf

7. Wildchilde01

Wildchilde01 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Poly-Clorinated Biphynols's are even harder to clean up than mercury or lead. If theres a PCB warning there, don't even stick a line in the water IMHO, and that opinion is backed with 6 years of hazardous waste experiance as a compliance officer and material handleing supervisor.

8. nathan king

nathan king New Member

State:
    vernon tx
    you know that ought to bo illegal for the government to let companys get away with that if its the air base and lockhead then they ought to have to clean it up

9. mch4fishing

mch4fishing New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I would have to agree with Wildchild I worked with Hazardous waste on the west coast for years.
    There is a trailer park in Lake Los Angeles Ca. that has a contamanated water well Merc in Water all kinds on cancer skin boils raw flesh wounds Exc Exc Exc and thats nothing in compairison to PCB,S
    If PCB,S are there Stay clear Dont even Get around the evap
    Studys have proven that vapor or mist from PCB,S can and will cause Cancer and a list to long to note.
    Be ASCARD Be Very ASCARD:sad2:

10. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas
    The sad thing is there are a few lakes in North Texas with PCB warnings on them.

11. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    About 10 years ago I used to fish Lake Worth, and eat what I caught!

Maybe thats what is wrong with me!!!!