Construction of big cat rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by cathouse, Apr 19, 2007.

1. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    This thread was brought about by a thread in the repair help section concerning the big cat rod. First off i was disapointed that they dont have a blank through handle,so while i was cleaning and respooling i also do my usual drag testing you know scale tied to stationary object and so on . Anyway back to the reason for this thread . While conducting my drag test i also became incresingly concerned when i noticed the feel of flex in the handle of my own big cat rod not a sturdy feeling in my opinion. Definately not one i would have the confidence to take to a cat fight with the fish if a lifetime. Now on the other hand same test on my tiger rod no flex felt solid and assuring i might just trade or sell my medium power big cat and purchase a medium power tiger or maybe even a uglystisk catfish rod . After reading that post and noticing the feel of flex in the big cat i could not honestly say i would have the confidence to take this rod out and put it through the paces chasing a trophy fish . I am by no means a tackle tester or any thing of that nature but i do know that you must have confidence in your gear or you are already losing the fight with that trophy. For those of you that use them and like them please dont take this to heart . But i personally am weary now of this particularly flaw in this product , to my knowledge which i admit is not as vast as some others here most rods intended to fight big strong fish have a blank through design , why did quantum chose to scimp on this feature when the rest of the rod is in my opinion is pretty well made just my .02 .

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    All you have to do is look at the price of the rod. Then you will have your answer.

3. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    I could have and probably should have gotten the ugly cat rod in the first place but you live and learn . i have learned so much here . Thanks again BOC for the wealth of knowledge that can be obtained here .

4. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    I actually expected to here from more members on this one hasnt anyone else not the differance in the feel of a rod with out the blank through design especially under the load of a big fish . I am also ashamed to admit thats not how or why i noticed the differance as mentioned in my origfinal post on this thread .My experience came from a simple drag test in the back yard. between two different rods one big cat one ugly stick (tiger to be exact) blank through and non blank through a definate difference in feel . just an observation on my part .

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I guess the reason I havent noticed the same thing, with my 'cheap rods' is that I wont buy any rod that is not a 'blank through design' The Eagle Claw Catclaws that I use cost 29.00 theyre blank through and a heck of a buy in my opinionalso my 19.00 Berkly big game rods are blank through ,another 'cheap' rod.

6. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I agree about needing to have the blank through handle. I am not familiar with the "big cat model" but personally would not purchase a rod without this feature. Cathouse you are right about needing to have confidence in your gear! Last thing you need is a rod to blow up on a monster Cat!

7. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    223reload, I agree with your views on the Eagle Claw Cat Claws. I have one that is wonderful. I payed $19.99 for an 8" one and will get a couple more in a few months. There are some decent, cheap rods out there. Just research what you buy before you buy it.