Considering using astroturf but what glue or is there anything lighter then glue

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Montgomery, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    my father once painted his little jon boat. and put astroturf all through it . it looked great. but since i have grown now and own a small jon boat. he has suggested to me NOT to do this. he said he prolly added 150 extra pounds . in the astroturf and glue . he said he prolly used pounds of glue . well is there any other addhesive that could be used. i work with installation . and we use a very sticky addhesive for certain things. it comes in a spray can . not sure if it will hold up or not . on this project. but there has to be some thing out there cheap , and spray on and light. can anyone help me with suggestions. i was in desperate need to sell this boat. but i think god gave me signs to keep it .lol well at least thats what i told the old lady :wink:. no my motor works fine and great. had 2 people come to lok at the boat and motor. both times had the mototr runnign good . sitting there idleing . and sure enough 20 minutes before each person. it stoped and refused to start. either i got bad luck . and its done and i missed my opp. to sell. or god said your keeping the boat. lol but anyway any tips would be great. i dont have money for about anything . so the best will get paint a astroturf . andi dont really know how to build things to well . so a floor is out . here is a couple pictures . she isn't much of nothing . but its all i got . i really wish i could some how install swivle seats on the floor in the middle of the existing aluminum seat. like where your feet is supposed to go. my back seat is way to close to the motor . i'm wide shouldered and cant hardly turn around enough to drive.any suggestions on removing old swivles. and some how mounting swivle seats on the tall post. i hope i explained that right . or heck any tips for a small boat like this at all. i do understant i am extreamly limited on my options. i dont have much to work with . i got the basic of basic in boats. money is just not avaliable....

Attached Files:

2. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    If you clean the surface really good you can use a really thin coat of out-door carpet glue. look at Lowe's or home Depot next time your there. it took me 2 quarts of 'Henry' adhesive to do the front and back decks of my 18footer. About a 1lb each deck or a little less. they have light weight outdoor carpet 2. It's lighter than astro turf and bonds with less glue a lot less.

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Just an idea that came to mind, what about that garage paint with the specks in it. Its an epoxy based paint that should hold up. It comes in a kit from Home Depot for about $60.00 I think. Hope this helps.

4. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Mike
    Don’t sell that boat of yours short. That’s looks a lot like my little boat before I started on her. A lot of fishermen I know would give a lot for that boat. I put outdoor porch carpet & glue on about the bottom third of the floor from Menards three years ago, and it looks great yet, but I do keep her covered with a tarp through the winter. I don't think altogether it would weigh 30 lbs. I would not want a floor in her, not very often I am standing up in this size of a boat, it would be pretty tippy, but I did put a little floor in front of the front seat, and keep my tackle locked up there, moved the front seat to the middle. If I had it to do over I would not cover the floor with carpet, rather would lay rubber floor mats on the bottom. the carpet is very hard to clean. But watch the mats going down the road so they don't blow out. The stuff on the floor is mostly to quiet the sound of stuff on the bottom. The swivel seats: I installed a clamp type swivel and moved the rear seat over to the right, and the middle seat to the left side. I put my 6 gal gas tank and trolling battery to the left side and works good for me to reach over my left side to pull the rope and run the tiller. Fishing & running I kind of face towards the left side of the boat, but works ok. I know about the money thing when you are young and have a family, take your time fixing up the boat using mostly thinking and sweat from the brow. If you sell it I bet you will regret it. Luck

5. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    thanks for your post. and am certain iwill not sell it now . work is getting better. and i got all winter to prettier her up.

6. Brushy Bill Roberts

Brushy Bill Roberts New Member

State:
    Spencer Indiana
    Have you considered using the roll-on bed liner liquids?
    It doesn't take a quarter inch layer like the truck beds to quiet it down & add some slip proof. I would just go up the sides mabey 2-3 inches.
    Rolling it on will let it go on alot thinner than spraying.
    Just my two cents worth. ( you sure don't get much for two cents anymore)

7. Brushy Bill Roberts

Brushy Bill Roberts New Member

State:
    Spencer Indiana
    By the way, I would not sell it either. Unless you already had another that you were sure you liked. It looks to be in great shape.

8. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    well i removed the add. well tried to anyway. she is mine to keep. and i feel pretty good about haveing all winter to. like i said i wont do much. and it dont need much. i should have had it on the water more this year. but my trailer isn't ready yet for the street. and loading into and out of a truck by my self wasn't fun. i twisted my wrist . and it still is messed up . its been 2 months now . well thank you guys . any suggestions about my seat problems ????