Considering the shimano stradic

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Spongiform, May 6, 2009.

1. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    So I've got a few bucks to spend on fishing gear and am considering this setup:

Shimano Stradic (using this rod/reel combo)

With this line

Not sure if I should use the 10lb or 15 lb line.

10 LB
    .006" DIA. (.15mm)

vs

15 LB
    .008" DIA. (0.2mm)

What do you guys think? I know the reel is rated for 6 lbs, but if I remember correctly (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that's talking about standard size monofilament right?
    6 LB
    .009" DIA. (.24mm)

This pole will be my 'active' fishing pole for baitfish, bass and small channel cat at night. Also I'll use it for my lightweight backpacking/camping trips, fresh fish out on the trail is NICE, so I need something doesn't add much weight to my pack.

I already have a dedicated catfish pole that I'll be re-stringing with that same line using this size:

40 LB
    .012" DIA. (0.3mm)

My budget is about $400, so this leaves me with enough for another box or two of hooks/bait kits and I have a pretty decent selection as is.

2. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    If I were you I would go with a quantum reel. In my opinion the quantum reels are better and Cheaper priced than shimano.

3. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Brian I have a few stradics on st. croix rods I use for bass fishing and other game fish. I've had mine for about 11 years now, and they have given me good service, no complaints. I think you'll be happy with that setup, I will say this you might want to shop around for a rod. The reason I say that is, I bought my st. croix rods at a cheaper price when they came out with new models or had old inventory.

4. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I dont know anything about the rod but I think you will be happy with the reel. I have had a 4000 stratic going on 10 years or better now and have not had any problems with it. I have caught many fish with it up to about 8lbs. I would use a good 8 or 10lb test on the 2500. I have always used McCoys Mean Green 12lb test on my 4000 with no problems.

5. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I think you all guessed what I would say, go with the Stradic. No kidding though, I only use Shimano reels and alot of them have some age on them. You can't buy a better reel for your money in my opinion.

6. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Since I posted this I've been reading up on reviews on a few different sites and comparing specs/prices. Price isn't my biggest concern, for something I'll likely get 10 years of enjoyment from, spending a little extra isn't a problem.

What really sold me on this model is how durable it is and it can be used for lightweight salt water as well as fresh water.

It's light enough to do some trout/stream fishing and heavy enough to catch a decent eatin size cat. It's perfect for my backpacking/lightweight fishing trips.
    I haven't decided on a rod yet but right now I'm leaning towards a 5'6 2 piece lightweight ugly stick.

The weight it's spec'd for match up to what I intend to use it for.

What do you guys think? Any other suggestions? :-D

7. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Brian if i had the money to drop on a new reel....Shimano all the way,You can't beat there quailty and they last forever with little or no maintence at all!!!

8. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have my 4000 on a 5'10" medium ugly stick and it cast and handles well.

9. Fatman

Fatman New Member

State:
    Vermont
    Shimano makes a great reel, make sure you open the bail and then reel to trip it and see if the bail close's all the way. The last year of so they had some problems with it but the newer models don't.

I've got Shimano spinning reels I've used since the 1980's that are still going strong and have never been repaird only cleaned. It's the only spinning reel I'll use. Worth the little extra money you might have to spend for them.

Fatman

10. BluecatSC

BluecatSC New Member

State:
    SC
    I have a shimano stradic. I got at a flea marker around here. I have used it for 6 years without a single problem. Just a little oiling ever 6 months and they are good to go. I got a 15lb channel on it last year. It did the job well. Shimano is a little pricey but they make awesome reels.

11. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I settled on the Stradic 2500MgFB (being on sale helped too! :-D)
    For a rod I went with this:
    Bass Pro Shops® Extreme® XPS® Travel Spinning Rods

I was looking for quality and portability and this rod solves both. Breaks down into 3 pieces and fits into a carrying tube, which will fit right into my backpack.

Rod, Reel, a new floating lure and 150 yards of powerpro 20 lb line ran me $270 /w shipping.