Considering getting a boat (my first)

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by harper81, Mar 15, 2008.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    I have been thinking about this for awhile and I can't see me fishing another year from the bank. I am looking for advice on where I could find a cheap boat. I am looking for 2 things, it floats and it runs. I am looking to spend $1K or less so the newspaper is not helping me any. I figure this would need to be a personal deal to get a boat in my price range. So if anyone has any ideas or knows someone that has a cheap boat please let me know.

2. catlow37

catlow37 Member

State:
    Union, SC
    I don't think that you will kind a boat that fits both of those catagories for that price. If you don't won't to spend no less than that on a boat, I suggest a small john boat with a troling motor.

3. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    keep looking there out there, lots of old tri hulls and such for around that price, im looking myself , try riding around and looking, ive found alot like that alot of people dont putem in the papers, i would say stay away from the jon boats unless you plan to fish calm water, just my opinion

4. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "keep looking there out there, lots of old tri hulls and such for around that price,"

Ditto. Now, for that kind of money you don't get new, but with some careful shopping you should be able to find one with mostly cosmetic problems. Try "Craigs List", I have seen many a deal on there.

Here is one to look at,
    http://columbia.craigslist.org/boa/600137688.html

5. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I would check Craigslist and E-Bay. You might also want to place an ad in the paper letting readers know what you want. There may be a reader who has an old boat sitting around that they may just give you (just the boat - no motor, etc.). Then buy a trolling motor or a small used outboard. If you can't find anything for under $1000 you might work a deal by offering to mow their yard for a couple months or go shopping for them (especially if elderly). Just a few ideas. Good luck!

6. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Harper,I'd try to stick with a aluminum boat,easier to pull,can get by with less horsepower and the wateree river rocks wont be as hard on it.Ive read your post on the wateree river,you dont see many fiberglass boats in there especially up towards lugoff.You probally wont find the exact boat that fits you so you may can find just the boat now and a motor later,and in the meantime rig the boat to fit HARPER.Good luck on finding one and if I see something up this way I will holler at you.I'd say you could get by with a 14 ft wide jon boat.I wouldnt want one of the narrow models,they might be ok for ponds or small lakes but not for me on big lakes and rivers.

7. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Ideally I would like to find an aluminum boat since I'll be in the river mostly. Plus I own cars, so the tow rating is not very high so I need something light. But if something comes along that fits the price category, runs, and floats I am not going to turn it down.

8. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Hey Bill,here is a ad that is in the Rock Hill Herald paper today,thought you may be interested in it,i know its higher than you said,but its sound like a fair deal and may be just what ya need.
    It reads- 14' Jon boat,w/trailor,15hp Johnson w/electric start,runs well,$1250,803-366-4853
    Hope this helps,would be great for the wateree river where ya fish,good luck in your search:wink:

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yes, with the economy such as it is, there's lotsa rich folks selling their "toys" to save their homes. Cash is king right now. Follow Craig's list daily and you will swoop up a deal. You should absolutely be able to find a boat in your price range. I'd jump on the above mentioned deal.
    BB in SC

10. tigman

tigman New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Bill, I just bought a boat off Craig's list. I found a nice 14' Lund with a 9.9hp motor.

11. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a rule around here-bare minum 1000.-should have 15-18 though.....Not sayin it aint out there either my first boat was 500.00-good luck,dont get ansey and look hard!Youll find it!

12. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Hang in there and just keep looking . I found a 16' boat with a 18 horse motor and trailer for $1200 not long ago. It was an older riveted boat but fixed up nice. Good luck!

13. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
  14. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    That does like nice. I guess i did this out of order. I should have got the money, trailer hitch for my car then started looking. Hopefully it will still be around in a few weeks when I get everything in order. Thanks everyone for all the help. I didn't even think about craigslist. There is a lot of boats on there so I should be able to find something that fits the bill.

15. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...there's lotsa rich folks selling their "toys" to save their homes..."

Very well said!

It is truly a buyers market, and that does not just apply to houses. Luxuries like boats are being let go, and rising gas prices do not help matters. Luckily for you that you are the "buyer".

Be PATIENT! Take your time and keep your eyes peeled. It is not going to get better overnight!

16. recatfish

recatfish New Member

State:
    north carolina
    looking thur iwanna paper ashevlle nc saw a few boats in it that looked like pretty good deals might want to check it out

17. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yep the iwanna paper are great. There's always some 5 to 900 dollar boats in there. You can also go to there site. Just search iwanna I think.

18. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i looked for almost a year, finally found one on craigs list. bought it and changed the title to day. so keep looking

19. captinparker

captinparker New Member

State:
    SC
    I'll keep an eye open. I run across a deal every now & then