Considering buying lip grip?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by archer1914, Jul 10, 2007.

1. archer1914

archer1914 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have seen these on tv but not used in person thinking of buying one but not sure has anybody used them they are listed in cabelas as lip grip, grip master, and boga grip

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Good for takein the pic. I've found that the scale is hard to read. Also I really don't trust em for landin a fish. I'm a net person. LOL! Thats my story and I'm stickin to it.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I'd hate to have one of those things stuck in my mouth. Guess it depends upon your intent and purposes... if its table fare I wouldn't think twice. CPR - I'd have to scratch my head... seems like those scrape marks made by the cats teeth are red badge of courage symbol. LOL

4. baitshop 2

baitshop 2 New Member

State:
    georgia
    the good lord gave me two lip grips they do get a little soar now and then ???????????:wink:

5. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I have the Cabela's grab-n-weigh 50 # model and it is great. They don't offer it anymore called as such but you can buy one for $50 bucks now called Great White. The scale is very accurate and I have used mine for a year now. They will work for landing fish provided the fish has it's mouth open when it is at the boat. I have a couple fishing buddies that have replaced their nets with one but I won't go that far because I have seen fish that wouldn't open up come loose that would have been landed with a net. The way I use mine is to net the fish then use the grabbers to remove the fish from the net and also to hold the fish while removing the hook. Boca grips are the best but are very expensive. Rapalas are total junk as with most of the others. They will let go of the fish if it flops real hard. Bocas and Great Whites will not turn loose. I have used mine on fish up to 32 pounds with no ill effects on the fish. At least no more traumatic than a hook and being wallowed on the bottom of the boat.

6. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    Mine has been a great purchase. I got it on clearance at Cabela's for $20 last year and has been a great help to landing cats (and carp) on shore. It does no damage to the catfish. I don't really trust the scale (I have another I use that is very easy to read). But for help landing fish on shore and getting a good grip, they work well.

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I have a extened handle berkley lip gripper. I love it and use it on all catfish works especially well on flatheads. I think for CPR it is a wonderful invention. I wouldnt trad mine for anything.

8. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Jared I didn't trust the scale when I first got mine but I compared it on several blues from 2 to 15 pounds against a Berkely digital and it was on the money everytime. If it is off then the digital is too by the same amount.

Cheez