·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
282 Posts

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
282 Posts
Ok. It’s been a few days since I asked a dumb question. So, it’s time for one: Aimed, maybe at Denny, since he gifted me with my first baitcaster reel:

I’ve watched several YouTube videos about baitcasters. They mostly have low profile reels, and talk about the various brake systems on them.
Here’s the question: Do round baitcasters have the brakes? If yes, how are they adjusted?

Tight lines, all !!!

Reactions: D schuerenberg

·
Premium Member
Southeast mo Mississippi river
627 Posts
Yes you take off handle side between it and spool if they are still there you slide them up for on or down for off you shouldn't need to mess with

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
282 Posts
Yes you take off handle side between it and spool if they are still there you slide them up for on or down for off you shouldn't need to mess with
Ok. Thank you, Denny. I was wondering, because nobody even mentioned them in videos about round reels.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
GP, the friction brakes are not adjustable but can just be on or off. I think Denny is saying they are on so you should not need to change them yet. The friction brake assembly is attached to the end of the spool. If you loosen the three screws on the crank side cover you will be able to remove that cap. It will come off as a unit so parts will not be flying everywhere. That will let you see the friction brake system.

Now here is a little bit of a warning. When putting the side cap back on, it is easy to get one of the brake blocks (a small piece of plastic) caught by the end cap because the brake is extended too far out.

First rule, Never force anything. If it is right it should go on with no more than slight pressure.
Second, Since the brake blocks will sling in or out with just gravity effecting them, Bold the reel so the brake mechanism is up pointing at the ceiling. That will take gravity out. Physically just each block inward. Press the button to disengage the spool then put the end cap back on. With just a little jiggling it should slide back into place. Then tighten the three screws finger tight. I snug mine down but just slightly.

eezzz - peeezee

But go use it first. catch a fish, drowned a worm. You get the idea.

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
282 Posts
GP, the friction brakes are not adjustable but can just be on or off. I think Denny is saying they are on so you should not need to change them yet. The friction brake assembly is attached to the end of the spool. If you loosen the three screws on the crank side cover you will be able to remove that cap. It will come off as a unit so parts will not be flying everywhere. That will let you see the friction brake system.

Now here is a little bit of a warning. When putting the side cap back on, it is easy to get one of the brake blocks (a small piece of plastic) caught by the end cap because the brake is extended too far out.

First rule, Never force anything. If it is right it should go on with no more than slight pressure.
Second, Since the brake blocks will sling in or out with just gravity effecting them, Bold the reel so the brake mechanism is up pointing at the ceiling. That will take gravity out. Physically just each block inward. Press the button to disengage the spool then put the end cap back on. With just a little jiggling it should slide back into place. Then tighten the three screws finger tight. I snug mine down but just slightly.

eezzz - peeezee

But go use it first. catch a fish, drowned a worm. You get the idea.
I get the idea, Tom. Try it first. If it works don’t mess with it. 😀

·
Premium Member
Southeast mo Mississippi river
627 Posts
Yes what Tom said the better you get at undoing back lash the less you will need to do it

·
Banned
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Well I backed off the new purchase of a rod and reel for a week or two

I really needed a new net and some terminal gear.....i got a new net, some little bitty splitshots and a new 60# big game 1/4pound spool for leaders. My wife is always needing some fishing line to hang her decorations and she has decimated my 60# spool...yeah I don't get it either but it is what it is....so I bought a new spool....lmao....right now a 1/4 pound spool is only $6.99 at cabelas.....i bought many. I need an 80# but that changes to a 1 pound spool and that is basically 35 bucks

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
282 Posts
Ok. Here’s a good one.

Ryobi VM406, low profile baitcaster reel.

Has anyone ever heard of it and/or owned/used one?

To give a hint to how “vintage “ it is, on the left side (with the magnetic brake control) it says, “Magnetic cast control... Patent Pending”

Does this mean that Ryobi invented the magnetic brake system?

It’s a very small reel. Looks like it won’t hold 100 yards of line.

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,188 Posts
Yep, I believe that is the V-Mag series of reels. They were from the early 80s and competed with Diawa at the time. I used a couple bass fishing on boron rods.

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
282 Posts
Yep, I believe that is the V-Mag series of reels. They were from the early 80s and competed with Diawa at the time. I used a couple bass fishing on boron rods.
Steve, yes, everywhere I saw the Ryobi reels, it said V-mag. I watched a video, a young guy cleaning an old V3 that his dad gave him.
He said that the “V” meant the reels have an almost V shaped spool. And, of course, mag- magnetic brake system. (It looked a bit odd when he showed the magnets)

On this reel, what weight line would you recommend? I’m new to baitcasters. I am about to spool it up with some cheap 4# mono to use while I practice with it.

Reactions: SteveMcK

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
282 Posts
Thanks,Steve

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
282 Posts
I usually ran 12 or 14 pound mono line.
Well, sir, I found out, first hand, 4# mono is too dag blasted small for the Ryobi Vmag reel.
My grandson has sot12# that I’m tryto talk him out of a few yards to put on the reel.

I filled it with the 4#. Darn thing wouldn’t turn. Feltlike it got jammed or something.
So I took it off. Gggrrrrrr!!!!

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,188 Posts
Did it get in the gap around the spool? I would think it would cast like heck if it didn't break.

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
282 Posts
Did it get in the gap around the spool? I would think it would cast like heck if it didn't break.
I think it might have. The spool doesn’t have the red or blue or whatever color line just inside the edge of the spool like I’ve seen on some higher end reels. Iguess I was thinking that darker line was it.
NOT! It was, in fact, the edge of the spool.
I’ll try again. And stop before I get there

Thanks for pointing that out.
I am determined to get this down by Spring spawn. 😀

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,188 Posts
Starting with about 3/4 spool might help you learning to cast. They tend to be less finicky with a spool that isn't full. They also don't cast as well or far for a seasoned caster with that 3/4 full spool. So when you get the hang of it then fill it up and learn a little more.

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
282 Posts
Ok. I respooled it with the 4#. Stopped short of the edge. Just to test it, I tied about 1/16 oz jig head hook on it and fid the “drop test” thing. It floated to the floor and the reel stopped.
One last question, though. When I got it, it was on a 10’ MH rod. I put it on my 6’ medium action rod. Question is, which would it work “better” on?

41 - 60 of 64 Posts