The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
282 Posts
Glad you checked it out GP. We (old folks) are a little behind the curve when it comes to using this new technology but we'll get there.

tight lines
Besides checking the website, I also texted the Game Warden whose jurisdiction is Oklahoma County, asking him.
He said that, what Oklahoma calls “Close to Home “ fishing waters in OkC area (Draper, Hefner and Draper Lakes) it’s “3 with 3”. So, we’ll keep it legal.
I think it was you who said, “The money is better spent on bait and tackle than on fines.”

The C3: When Denny gave it to me, it was spooled with some line. So, I figured that will be good to start with.

And, again, thank you very much, Denny. I look forward to wetting that line...and, hopefully, hooking into a decent set of whiskers!!

·
Registered
Big Sam Arkansas
5,998 Posts
I lived in Oklahoma for 25 years the rod limit is 7 unless otherwise specified on special lakes or special waterways..I fish Kerr texoma eufala ...

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
282 Posts
I lived in Oklahoma for 25 years the rod limit is 7 unless otherwise specified on special lakes or special waterways..I fish Kerr texoma eufala ...
Game Warden told me it’s the OkC lakes that limits it to 3 with 3.
I went to Eufaula once, years ago. Caught a few cats, a large drum, and ex wife caught a 3’ long gar. Its teeth scared the stuffin’ out of her. 😀😀

·
Premium Member
Southeast mo Mississippi river
627 Posts
I think it has 50 pound braid don't remember brand after you get casting down would be good idea to reverse the line or replace it it's been on it awhile. Don't want to louse a nice fish because of old line

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
282 Posts
I think it has 50 pound braid don't remember brand after you get casting down would be good idea to reverse the line or replace it it's been on it awhile. Don't want to louse a nice fish because of old line
Oh yes, Denny. That’s what I had planned to do. You told me the other night that you didn’t remember how long it’s been on the reel. So, I was going to practice casting it. Then, by fishing season, I had planned on putting some 25-30# fluorocarbon on it.

Reactions: D schuerenberg

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
GP, D makes a good point, that 50 pound braid would work fine for you and if after practicing with it for a good while, you reversed the line on the spool, it would be almost like new line. The 50# line would be overkill but that doesn't really hurt anything and braid is small diameter so would react about like 14 pound mono. Just use a mono leader and learn how to tie a Palomar knot. Great quick knot for braid.

Just an opinion and may save you a little cash.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Hey GP, fluorocarbon may not be a very good choice for a reel. As a leader it might be ok but it is a stiffer line than the other choices thus it would tend to have more memory and want to uncoil more. This would make bird nests more common.

Again I would reverse and use the braid. That would make the new end like new. Or I would go with 14 to 20 pound mono.

Give it some thought. It is your choice.

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
282 Posts
GP, D makes a good point, that 50 pound braid would work fine for you and if after practicing with it for a good while, you reversed the line on the spool, it would be almost like new line. The 50# line would be overkill but that doesn't really hurt anything and braid is small diameter so would react about like 14 pound mono. Just use a mono leader and learn how to tie a Palomar knot. Great quick knot for braid.

Just an opinion and may save you a little cash.
Funny that you recommend a Palomar knot. Since that is my “go to” knot. 😀
About the only one I can tie with complete confidence. It’s the only knot that my grandson, Philip, ties when he rigs his line.

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
282 Posts
Hey GP, fluorocarbon may not be a very good choice for a reel. As a leader it might be ok but it is a stiffer line than the other choices thus it would tend to have more memory and want to uncoil more. This would make bird nests more common.

Again I would reverse and use the braid. That would make the new end like new. Or I would go with 14 to 20 pound mono.

Give it some thought. It is your choice.
I’m glad you pointed that out.
I have some 30# braid on a spool from a spinner reel that, irreparably, broke. I’ll spool the 50# onto a “factory” spool I have, then spool the 30 onto the Abu, and be ready to go. I have some fluorocarbon that I’ll use for leader. I think it’s 30#. And, it hasn’t been in the water yet, so it’s new line.

I love this forum. An old goat who hasn’t fished in 35 years can learn ALOT from younger guys who have been at it that long.
Thanks guys!!!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Your ODWC is only a phone call away.

I wouldn't ask on here, since each state has different regulations. Some members don't think about that. And since I would rather spend my money on gear and not fines, I contact the State DNR (in Indiana) for one of their primary purposes,,,,,to answer questions about their regulations.

If I want the answer in writing, which I often do, I ask the questions with an email and get a signed email in return.

good luck and tight lines
What is really confusing is the New Cumberland pool on the Ohio River. It covers 3 states (PA, OH, WV).

Between OH and WV if fishing by boat or the WV side the main channel is covered by WV regulations although there is some unified regulations on some species when it comes to creel limits and size. WV allows unlimited rods. Ohio allows 2 rods in the state except the Ohio river where if you are fishing from the bank you can use 3 rods. However the way I read it if I am in a boat and go up the stream off the river then I can only use 2. Then I have to watch that I don't get into PA without following their regs which for example is a 3 rod limit.. Fortunately for me I am a PA resident and I buy both WV and Ohio NR licenses.

In Ohio I can use a 5' cast net, WV is a 3', and PA I have to have a special license (I don't get it since I can only get it for the Ohio River and wouldn't be good for back waters).

I don't keep fish out of the river so that helps alot when it comes to the regulations. However you really have to watch what you are doing and where you are doing it.

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
282 Posts
What is really confusing is the New Cumberland pool on the Ohio River. It covers 3 states (PA, OH, WV).

Between OH and WV if fishing by boat or the WV side the main channel is covered by WV regulations although there is some unified regulations on some species when it comes to creel limits and size. WV allows unlimited rods. Ohio allows 2 rods in the state except the Ohio river where if you are fishing from the bank you can use 3 rods. However the way I read it if I am in a boat and go up the stream off the river then I can only use 2. Then I have to watch that I don't get into PA without following their regs which for example is a 3 rod limit.. Fortunately for me I am a PA resident and I buy both WV and Ohio NR licenses.

In Ohio I can use a 5' cast net, WV is a 3', and PA I have to have a special license (I don't get it since I can only get it for the Ohio River and wouldn't be good for back waters).

I don't keep fish out of the river so that helps alot when it comes to the regulations. However you really have to watch what you are doing and where you are doing it.

That supports my theory that “ Any time a government agency starts writing regulations, they try to make it as complicated as they can.”
That way, no matter what you do, you’re likely to break a rule, somewhere, somehow.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Craig, there are several unusual situations between Ohio and West Virginia concerning the Ohio River.

Steve Douglas was fishing a tournament in Ohio. Decided after the tournament and while still there, he was going to do some fishing on the Ohio River. Because of getting an Ohio non resident he was good to go,,,,,,,,or he thought he was.

Well, while fishing the Ohio River, the rod tip went down and went down hard. Shazzam,,,,,it was a monster. Steve lands a huge Blue cat. He calls around because it would be a new State Record. When he gets to the ramp where the Game Wardens were, he finds out they are West Virginia Game Wardens and that his fish can not be even considered for a State record. Why,,,,,,,,,,, Because Steve was actually fishing without a license. A non resident can get a non resident license from Ohio and fish Ohio waters. But the Ohio River is not Ohio waters unless he is fishing from the bank. The Ohio belongs entirely to West Virginia due to an agreement between States. Now an Ohio Resident can fish the Ohio River with an Ohio license because that is part of the reciprocal agreement between States. But a non Ohio Residend is not covered by that and has to get a West Virginia license. And it also depends where he is fishing from. I guess if he is fishing from the Ohio bank it is ok but from a boat he has to have a West Virginia license. I think when that was explained, Steve was overtaken by a little pucker factor and some tissue would have been handy.. Fishing without a license and then calling the Game wardens to weigh your fish. Ouch.

Now so as not to chuckle at this too long, a very unusual thing happened. The Game Wardens totally understood that this situation was a common misunderstanding and did not hold Steve at fault. They shook hands and parted ways. Steve could have had a nice orange jump suit with numbers on it and lord knows West Virginia has plenty of big rock in the State that need to be busted up but Wardens are people too. And all was ok.

Now if you don't believe this story and you think I am telling exaggerated war stories or maybe have had a toddy or three, look up Steve Douglas' youtube videos and look for a video about a new Blue Cat Record. It is as good a video and my short story keeps you glued to that chair.

tight lines all.

Oh never mind looking it up,,,,,,here it is.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
It is my understanding that It was actually because the State of Ohio decided they did not want any responsibility for the Ohio River Ohio. So they gave it to West Virginia. West Virginia then said if we are responsible for the entire river any revenue to be had should be ours to pay for hat is required. I guess I would agree.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I can't really put this on both topics so I will put it here...

I have had a good last quarter and have been buying gear like a crazy man.

I have been looking at the Okuma SST Sturgeon rod. 13'-10" heavy...moderate to moderate fast action....8 to 12 ounce casting weight. I like everything I am reading about it but have never laid hands on one.

It is a casting rod, not a spinner....which brings in the question about what reel to go with it.

I am looking at the 7000c3 and it's a definite candidate....the 7000 pro rocket is also a candidate. Both have a 20# drag

I am also looking at the Shimano Calcutta 700B but.... even though I know it is a fine reel...the 16.5 pound drag is something I am not stoked about.

I have also been considering a hi capacity, low profile reel. I have an Okuma Komodo 471 and I like it. Not sure how it's bearing would hold up on repeated long distance slings. When you swing for the fences, that spool is screaming....the Daiwa Millionaire surf casting reel has special bearings were designed for 30,000 rpm's

I figure I need about 100 yds reserve after the cast. If I cast 100 yds...then I need 200 yds on the reel. The Komodo holds about 220 yds of 80# spiderwire...yes I am positive of that....measured what was left on a 300 yd spool after loading it on the reel. Not perfectly measure but I know it's close.

Just not sure the bearing on this reel are designed for the amount of force and abuse they would take attached to a nearly 14'-0 rod

any opinions?
Listen , iv used everything ABU GARCIA has made and fishing for giant catfish theres none any better than the 7000,s nomatter what model. Easy to cast as far as needed w plenty of line Left bc you always use heavy poundage line when hunting freshwater giants. Drag is PERFECT and the looks are better so usethen n confidence knowing use own and use the best ,,

·
Banned
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Listen , iv used everything ABU GARCIA has made and fishing for giant catfish theres none any better than the 7000,s nomatter what model. Easy to cast as far as needed w plenty of line Left bc you always use heavy poundage line when hunting freshwater giants. Drag is PERFECT and the looks are better so usethen n confidence knowing use own and use the best ,,
The only issue I have with the 7000 series is the low retrieve rate.

Being shore bound, i need to get the bait and weight up quickly so I can avoid as many snags as possible. The 4.1 to 1 (22" per turn) is pretty lame. I want better than that. The Calcutta is a little better but not much.

If I was in a boat, it wouldn't matter but since I am not, it does matter. I have 6.4 and 7.1 in my komodos...

That works. Just wish they had more line capacity for the big sling.

I don't static reel anyway...I pump and reel...fish on or not. My drag doesn't slip when I recover line regardless the retrieve ratio

·
Registered
62 Posts
Craig, there are several unusual situations between Ohio and West Virginia concerning the Ohio River.

Steve Douglas was fishing a tournament in Ohio. Decided after the tournament and while still there, he was going to do some fishing on the Ohio River. Because of getting an Ohio non resident he was good to go,,,,,,,,or he thought he was.

Well, while fishing the Ohio River, the rod tip went down and went down hard. Shazzam,,,,,it was a monster. Steve lands a huge Blue cat. He calls around because it would be a new State Record. When he gets to the ramp where the Game Wardens were, he finds out they are West Virginia Game Wardens and that his fish can not be even considered for a State record. Why,,,,,,,,,,, Because Steve was actually fishing without a license. A non resident can get a non resident license from Ohio and fish Ohio waters. But the Ohio River is not Ohio waters unless he is fishing from the bank. The Ohio belongs entirely to West Virginia due to an agreement between States. Now an Ohio Resident can fish the Ohio River with an Ohio license because that is part of the reciprocal agreement between States. But a non Ohio Residend is not covered by that and has to get a West Virginia license. And it also depends where he is fishing from. I guess if he is fishing from the Ohio bank it is ok but from a boat he has to have a West Virginia license. I think when that was explained, Steve was overtaken by a little pucker factor and some tissue would have been handy.. Fishing without a license and then calling the Game wardens to weigh your fish. Ouch.

Now so as not to chuckle at this too long, a very unusual thing happened. The Game Wardens totally understood that this situation was a common misunderstanding and did not hold Steve at fault. They shook hands and parted ways. Steve could have had a nice orange jump suit with numbers on it and lord knows West Virginia has plenty of big rock in the State that need to be busted up but Wardens are people too. And all was ok.

Now if you don't believe this story and you think I am telling exaggerated war stories or maybe have had a toddy or three, look up Steve Douglas' youtube videos and look for a video about a new Blue Cat Record. It is as good a video and my short story keeps you glued to that chair.

tight lines all.

Oh never mind looking it up,,,,,,here it is.

I missed this post. Yes I saw that video a while back and yes it is easy to misunderstand the regs there. Steve is a great guy and I have learned alot from his videos. He is a good teacher and I think I have now watched all of his Youtube videos.
That is why as a PA resident, I buy both the WV and Ohio NR licenses so that way I am covered license wise no matter what. Then I just have to watch where I am at so that I follow the correct regulatoins.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Indiana and KY have the right idea. I am an Indiana Resident but can stand on the Ky bank and fish the Ohio River with my IN license. I just follow the KY regulations. No need to buy two licenses. Indiana and Illinois have the same agreement for the Wabash River that borders the two States.

Now if we could just get Ky to stop pandering to the Commercial fishermen we could get the catfish population back up toward where it should be. Right now they are more interested in getting there money.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The only issue I have with the 7000 series is the low retrieve rate.

Being shore bound, i need to get the bait and weight up quickly so I can avoid as many snags as possible. The 4.1 to 1 (22" per turn) is pretty lame. I want better than that. The Calcutta is a little better but not much.

If I was in a boat, it wouldn't matter but since I am not, it does matter. I have 6.4 and 7.1 in my komodos...

That works. Just wish they had more line capacity for the big sling.

I don't static reel anyway...I pump and reel...fish on or not. My drag doesn't slip when I recover line regardless the retrieve ratio
I only fish from shore and understand all the ROCKS AND SNAGS , I tie all my RIGS 2 breakaway n heavy cover but that's where the giants live so that's only place to Hunt for them , good look w your decision , 7000 will do the job 2 get up and on the bank .

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
282 Posts
The local high temperature is forecast to be 61 tomorrow. So, I think I will hit Lake Overholser tomorrow for awhile to see if I can get a hook into something. And see if I can cast my “new” baitcaster without making too much of a mess of it.
Either way, I’ll post the results.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts