The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't really put this on both topics so I will put it here...

I have had a good last quarter and have been buying gear like a crazy man.

I have been looking at the Okuma SST Sturgeon rod. 13'-10" heavy...moderate to moderate fast action....8 to 12 ounce casting weight. I like everything I am reading about it but have never laid hands on one.

It is a casting rod, not a spinner....which brings in the question about what reel to go with it.

I am looking at the 7000c3 and it's a definite candidate....the 7000 pro rocket is also a candidate. Both have a 20# drag

I am also looking at the Shimano Calcutta 700B but.... even though I know it is a fine reel...the 16.5 pound drag is something I am not stoked about.

I have also been considering a hi capacity, low profile reel. I have an Okuma Komodo 471 and I like it. Not sure how it's bearing would hold up on repeated long distance slings. When you swing for the fences, that spool is screaming....the Daiwa Millionaire surf casting reel has special bearings were designed for 30,000 rpm's

I figure I need about 100 yds reserve after the cast. If I cast 100 yds...then I need 200 yds on the reel. The Komodo holds about 220 yds of 80# spiderwire...yes I am positive of that....measured what was left on a 300 yd spool after loading it on the reel. Not perfectly measure but I know it's close.

Just not sure the bearing on this reel are designed for the amount of force and abuse they would take attached to a nearly 14'-0 rod

any opinions?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have you looked at the Diawa sea gate? I got 2 and love them. If your set on Abu’s look at the C4 models, you get a faster retrieve. Not sure on the SST, I have a Celilo 9’ heavy action, one of my favorite rods.

·
Banned
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you looked at the Diawa sea gate? I got 2 and love them. If your set on Abu’s look at the C4 models, you get a faster retrieve. Not sure on the SST, I have a Celilo 9’ heavy action, one of my favorite rods.
I have seen the Sea Gate...not my first choice. I have handled a few C4 models and they seemed to be kinda "stiff" when reeling in. Don't know if I was handling duds or what but the tension on the retrieve seemed weird and off.

I happen to like low profile reels....it's my newest thing. If they can hold up to the strain and abuse, I will probably go that way but I don't want to be the guy blowing the bearings out of a 250 dollar reel to find out

·
Banned
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have an 8'-6" light action SST.....SST stands for "Salmon, Steelhead and Trout" but they have models for kokannee, a halibut and a sturgeon.

It's a good rod...IM8 construction. My only complaint is the guides are too small. Not Micro guides but still too small to set a bobber stop at any real depth. The stop hangs up in the small guides and drastically reduces casting distance if you are setting depth more than 6'-0

·
Premium Member
10,920 Posts
hahaha, which would be illegal in many states. But you might catch a fish before you had to pay the piper.

·
Premium Member
Southeast mo Mississippi river
622 Posts
Don't over look older Penn's on eBay I got some GTO 220S I never cast them since I mostly drift fish a while back I put a 3oz bank sinker on one and was very impressed it will out cast my 7000 big game narrow spool by at least 10 to 20 yards don't know the specks I hear the GTI also cast good

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you have a long rod and want to cast a long way, you might look into some of the distance casting reels for surf fishing like Avet or Tica.

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
270 Posts
hahaha, which would be illegal in many states. But you might catch a fish before you had to pay the piper.
So true. Three rods, 3 hooks each here in Oklahoma. Makes me wonder why people buy Sabikis.

·
Premium Member
10,920 Posts
Sabikis's here in the Hoosier State are limited to three hooks also so two hooks have to be removed and are generally replace with spoons. I don't spend my pennies on them.

·
Registered
Big Sam Arkansas
5,993 Posts
Oklahoma is seven rods unless they changed it last year.....I'm sure some of the smaller lakes inside the city limits won't let you use seven so I'm not sure on that...

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
270 Posts
Oklahoma is seven rods unless they changed it last year.....I'm sure some of the smaller lakes inside the city limits won't let you use seven so I'm not sure on that...
On the ODWC site and app, it says 3 with 3 each. But, I watched an Outdoor Oklahoma video a couple days ago (filmed on Lake Eufaula a few years ago). He said 7. And another Outdoor Oklahoma video on Lake Texoma, he had 5.
So, it might be 3/3 on OkC waters.

·
Premium Member
10,920 Posts
Your ODWC is only a phone call away.

I wouldn't ask on here, since each state has different regulations. Some members don't think about that. And since I would rather spend my money on gear and not fines, I contact the State DNR (in Indiana) for one of their primary purposes,,,,,to answer questions about their regulations.

If I want the answer in writing, which I often do, I ask the questions with an email and get a signed email in return.

good luck and tight lines

·
Registered
Big Sam Arkansas
5,993 Posts
We got checked in Oklahoma by the warden on the water recently very recently and he looked at our stuff and we were good to go.... We had five rods each... And one went down while he was sitting there😂

·
Premium Member
10,920 Posts
I didn't say you were wrong. And I did't say you shouldn't answer the question. But it is a much better option to call those enforcing the regulations than just asking on a forum. I could say three rods since that is what Indiana allows on strictly Hoosier waters.

If I have legal issues I wouldn't ask for advice here either. Seems like a lawyer would be the better choice.

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
270 Posts
Your ODWC is only a phone call away.

I wouldn't ask on here, since each state has different regulations. Some members don't think about that. And since I would rather spend my money on gear and not fines, I contact the State DNR (in Indiana) for one of their primary purposes,,,,,to answer questions about their regulations.

If I want the answer in writing, which I often do, I ask the questions with an email and get a signed email in return.

good luck and tight lines
Exactly, Tom. That’s more or less what I did on the question of goldfish for bait.
I texted our friendly Game Warden. (And, per your advice, I still have our exchange on my phone)

So, again, I’ll take your advice and call or email ODWC. Probably email, so I can keep their reply.

Thanks, Tom.

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
270 Posts
I just found the following on the ODWC website (all it takes is a little effort and a few minutes to find what ya might want to know. Yet another advantage of today’s technology over what was available 30 years ago😀):

“These methods are legal for taking game and nongame fish throughout the year, statewide, unless restrict- ed under "Public Fishing Waters" special regulations.
Rod and Reel: A person may use up to seven rods while fishing unless restricted further under "Public Fishing Waters" special regulations.”

Reactions: twaskom

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
270 Posts
We got checked in Oklahoma by the warden on the water recently very recently and he looked at our stuff and we were good to go.... We had five rods each... And one went down while he was sitting there😂
Sam, which Lake were you on when the Warden checked you?

The grandsons and I can be at the lake, fishing. The local Warden cruise up and check 30 (just to pick a number), and never ask us. (Of course, the boys are 12 and 13, and we’ve chatted so many times, he knows I have Lifetime Senior license.)

Reactions: Big Sam and twaskom

·
Premium Member
10,920 Posts
Glad you checked it out GP. We (old folks) are a little behind the curve when it comes to using this new technology but we'll get there.

Have you got a spool of line for that bait caster yet? I really think you will like it when you get used to it so don't get frustrated. Take your time, make slight adjustments slowly and you will do fine. Now I do not change weight sizes often so once my reels are set, I leave them clown. And as you get used to the feel of casting a bait caster, you will control it a lot yourself. All those that I hear criticizing bait casting reels seem to be those that have yet to give them a good try. Not saying anything against a good spinning reel here. They are a fine piece of equipment too.

tight lines

1 - 20 of 50 Posts