conserving the great miami

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by katkiller77, Nov 19, 2008.

1. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    please check out this web page friends of the great miami trying to get this river in scenic status. here is the link rick

http://www.fogm.org/ Good group of people rick

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Scenic status? from what i know about "scenic rivers" i hope the GMR NEVER becomes one! just found out this summer that state "Scenic rivers" are off limits to things like "Wading" and "swimming". what good is it if you cant enjoy it? are we on a path to making our waterways "do-not touch museums"? i used to donate money each tax year to scenic rivers, but i will never do it again! how can swimming or wading ruin the "scene" of a river?

3. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Dink, where did you hear that??? I am heavily involved with the group that is working on making the Mad River "Scenic" ( almost 3 years now and its almost there) and nowhere does is ever change the access, landowner or angling rights to the river? Are you thinking of the OGF thread that went thatway regarding no swimming/wading etc?? If so that was because the property was still privately owned and for no other reason. Give me a call, and we can discuss it. All the designation really does is get the state more PR and the biggest reason for watershed organizations to push for it is because it makes them a higher priority to recieve EPA 319 Watershed Grants which pays for things like GMR Maps, Extra signs at Dams, education pamphlets with access and helps pay for constant monitoring on the waterways ( IE: USGS Gauges are often funded through EPA grants)

I hope this helps, and it DOES help when you donate to Scenic rivers funds, it is one of the rare funds that the state can NOT rob or borrow from to pay other things so its a good thing!

Salmonid

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yes that is where i read about those "rules", will have to go back and read up on it again. also when i get time i am going to research more about "scenic rivers" and see for myself what "rules" there may be. after reading through that OGF thread, and seeing how those statements were taken as FACT, it just really struck a nerve with me. you know how i carry a Machette with me to clear out paths and spots, would i be in "violation" doing that on a "scenic river"? how about building a fire? not trying to sound like a "smart-@@@", just curious?

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Rick, be carefull 1st is senic status, then a few years later it's no fishing..Or the laws are so strick you cant even have a good time for fear of disturbing a blade of grass.

6. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    ok see your point rick

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i havent researched it yet, but will hopefully this weekend. it is possible i am jumping the Gun. However, i am very suspicious anytime some area becomes designated a "Park", "Reserve", or anything along those lines. they usually come with all kinds of new rules, regulations, and "codes of conduct". the areas where my Dads family are from and still live (New River Gorge area in WVA) have become virtual "Museums" in the past 10-15 years after being labeled "Scenic" and "Parks". in the words of one family member..."you better not get caught moving a rock or picking a weed around here now or your liable to get fined...."

8. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    dink I like to see the water become cleaner in great miami to have more fish population. I love that river now best two fishing river in the area where I do well catfishing is the great miami and the mad river. thats my two favorite places to fish as well for largemouth and smallmouth bass bluegill rockbass and carp as well as saugeye in the great miami . just want to see the water quality get better for better fishing rick

9. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    come to think of it little miami river is a scenic river as well as the stillwater river in the area rick

10. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
  11. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    cant argue about the cleaner water, it actually has improved greatly over the past 20 years. i grew up fishing Pay-Ponds, and most of the folks i knew did cause it seemed you couldnt catch hardly anything but Carp and suckers in the area rivers. have also talked to some "old timers" i have met along the river and they say the same thing about the improving water quality. one even told me the GMR used to run a different color each day due to all the paper mills/printers who used to dump directly into the river. ..." slightly green one day, yellow the next, red, etc"...

12. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    Because of the water quality being better in the great miami I would not even think of pay laking anymore get some liver nightcrawlers or bluegills and it is on that river can be a catfish factory when it is hitting rick

13. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    i love gmr i go there atleast 20-30 times a year i cought many-a-flatheads there its a great fishing river but its been really low lately that sometimes makes it hard to fish.:roll_eyes::cool2::cool2::big_smile: