Conservation of fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by captain kirko, Feb 20, 2008.

1. captain kirko

captain kirko New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Fishing license?
    Who needs fishing license?

I have not had my fishing license checked by a conservation officer in over 5 years. :roll_eyes: this year will be my 6th year!
    When was the last time you had your license checked?
    Did you have your license with you or not?
    Were you fined or just warned?

Do you really know where the money goes?
    Should a conservation officer be armed with a deadly weapon?
    Is a larger fine needed or do away with the fishing license all together?
    Are conservation officers really doing what they are supposed to be?

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I can only answer for my part of the my state
    #1 the last time i was checked was last spring in April
    #2 as i am over the age to need one i did not have one with me , but i did
    have a 3rd rod permit
    #3 nether
    #4 some goes to the county some to the general state fund
    #5 yes there have been several killed in the us over game laws
    #I think we are ok there
    #6 Yes and no some are doing a good job some are slackers same as any
    group of workers. They all have to much ground to cover

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I live in Ohio and have had mine checked 7 times the past 3 years.

Last year I had two wildlife officers hike for dang near two miles to check my license.

4. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Been quite awhile since I was checked learned the hard way.Was pond fishing had a nice stringer of channels and had to put them back due to grabbing wrong tackle box.Was issued a ticket that had me goto to court.
    Had to go plead guilty/not guilty in front of a judge.Then was asked if I wanted an attorney.I said no and was issued another court date.
    Went to court the next time different judge and showed him proof I had my license before given the ticket.He asked me why I didn't show it the first time I went to court.Told him I did but no one cared to see it.He dropped everything on the spot.License is always with me I get a duplicate.One stays in glove box and the other in tackle box now.
    As for Conservation officers armed yes.Would you want to out on a call for poachers and show up unarmed.I sure wouldn't want to.In Indiana they have the same authority as a Trooper best not to piss one off.
    As for the fees checkout this site you see where the money goes.
    http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/about/
    I think that they are spread out to thin but again Floyd County is so small don't think theres much of poaching scandals and such around here.

5. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    I had a county officer that wanted to check mine last summer but didn't want to walk 200+ yards on muddy bank to check it.Didn't want to get dirty.

6. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Fishing for over 40 years and had my license checked twice within a 10 day period two years ago. Had a my license.

Do we really know were any of it goes?

I think all law abiding people should be armed. I can't imagine stopping armed people without a firearm. Especially if they knew it.

The few DNR officers I've dealt with were good guys and avid hunters and fishermen. Even provided fishing tips etc. I'm sure they have their share of goofs too.

An Indiana note: Equipment such as guns and vehicles used in violation of fish and wildlife laws may be seized for evidence, and upon conviction, confiscated at the discretion of the court.

This means EVERYTHING gear, boat, truck etc! So I'd be careful to not get too heavy with an officer when you get caught. They can take everything upon arrest and keep upon conviction! I've never had an issue with a fishing license fee. But deer tag fees have gotten out of control in my opinion.

7. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I work for the DNR in SC - but not as a law enforcement officer - a biologist.

I understand your frustration, but please don't blame the officers. I don't specifically know about Indiana, but I do know a bit about SC.

Natural Resources law enforcement does not get anywhere near the funding that the regular police do (on a square mile basis). Think of your own town, how many officers are there? What size area do they patrol/cover? The coast of SC - that's a straight line distance of almost 200 miles, with literally thousands of miles of rivers, creeks, sounds, bays, etc is patroled by something like 5 or 6 officers. And rember that they don't just look for fishing/boating violations - typically they are also responsible for checking on hunters, lost hikers, problem wildlife, and on and on and on.

Should they be armed? Heck yes! I have heard the statistic quoted many times that "Game Wardens" are shot at considerably more frequently than are the regular police. They do a tough job in remote locations (often with no help anywhere nearby) dealing with a public (hunters and fishermen) that are often if not usually armed!

More officers would certainly help, but not many people are willing to pay for them.

8. IndyCatGuy

IndyCatGuy New Member

State:
    Greensburg, IN
    Q.When was the last time you had your license checked?
    A. Last time I fished the Ohio...a few weeks ago.
    A. Yes. The law says to carry it on you.
    Q.Were you fined or just warned? N/A

Q. Do you really know where the money goes?
    A. No, but the DNR requires a lot of cash to do all they do. They arent perfect and are VERY underfunded, but I think they try to do a good job with what they have.
    Q.Should a conservation officer be armed with a deadly weapon?
    A. Would you want to go into the woods and catch a poacher knowing that he was probably armed, possibly drunk, and might think you are a deer without a weapon?
    Q. Is a larger fine needed or do away with the fishing license all together?
    A. Larger fines and have the offenders do community service cleaning up the banks of our rivers and boat ramps.
    Q. Are conservation officers really doing what they are supposed to be?
    A. Yes...they do a good job.

9. IndyCatGuy

IndyCatGuy New Member

State:
    Greensburg, IN
    You are obviously a "keyboard fishermen" otherwise you would know that by NOT buying a fishing license and abiding "by the rules" means that you are only hurting the sport the rest of us love. Unless you are fishing a private pond or pay lakes, you are breaking the law...plain and simple.

10. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    fisherman and hunters do more for conservation that the bird and bunny nut wacos. paying your fee for fishing license and deer tags help with this. i fish the great miami river off the beaten path 12 am catfishing miamisburg police checked my license yes regular police can check also. i bought them wow i could have lost my chevy 400 dollars in equipment not to mention the fines and court cost. these fees have helped out in cleaning up the great miami river.in fact the cop came back to fish himself 30 minutes later down stream from me. get your license do the right thing it pays off rick:smile2:

11. crazyjet1

crazyjet1 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Im only 18 and have had a fishing liscence since the state mandatory age of 17. I have been checked four time on the ohio river on my boat and a buddys everytime it was for lifejackets and fishing liscence. They were all pretty cool guys. One time here in indy i had to walk 20 yards up the creek to show it the DNR officer. My father told me they can take everything you have if you dont have your liscence on you up to your truck boat and trailor. Also with us running our baitshop up here in indy that we just closed down. with the new liscence system going up you can just get it off the internet or if you get it in the store make like ten copy's because its on a piece of computer paper and you never know when your liscence will go MIA. Dont sign it before you make the copies because then its invalid. Sign it after you have made the copies. MIA (Washing it cause your pants smell so bad you didnt want to reach in your pockets, raining when fishing, oops where did it go, lost it) all im saying is a extra copy can save alot of money. I also agree with Indycat, not having a liscence he's not helping the sport at all. ALWAYS CARRY YOUR LISCENCE ON YOU WHEN FISHING!!!

12. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've always had every license required. Even when I wasn't sure I'd have time to use one. The first poster doesn't feel the need not me. My only complaint has been deer tags going up. Plus you need one for bow, one for firearm, one for muzzleloader, one for antlerless etc. I'm sure they thought when they raised the fees they would double or triple the revenue. I've heard idiots brag that they now wait until they kill a deer and then run to get a license. I hope they get busted. I shouldn't whine I spend way more on things I enjoy a lot less. Maybe we just had it cheap for too long.

13. diver268

diver268 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The last time I was checked was about 3 weeks ago in Linton. We were ice fishing and was way out on a lake. I looked up and sure enough here came a CO to check our license and see how we were doing. I have a lifetime hunting and fishing so I dont worry. As far as should they be armed. The answer is YES. I respect anyone who does what they do. I sure would not want to go into the woods alone looking for an armed pocher. That is rediculous. Anyway I am glad for them. I have even had them stop by my place in Spencer just to talk when they saw me outside.

14. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    ? 1--last year

? 2--had it

? 3--nope

? 4--most deffinatly (they better be armed with some of thier attitudes lol)

? 5-- ?

? 6--i do believe they are doing what they are suposed to do yes.

they are very under maned in this state thats for sure. the license fee jump was a little uncalled for imo. thats why i got the lifetime license! with all the stamps and taggs i wouldnt be able to justify doing half of what i do!! if they would have raised it a bit at a time they mite have gotten away with it.

what are you pissed about anyhow friend? i personally dont want the C.O. snifffing around my fishing hunting spots, do you? lol i dont break the game laws but i do like to get a snoot full on the river now and again:big_smile: cant even do that legaly now!!!! like im going to run over someone with my 16ft boat with a 6 horse motor, please.

welcome to the b.o.c. by the way kirk!

15. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    I get checked all the time!

They are doing their job, but there are always a few bad apples. Like anything.

We need CO's, plain and simple.

And I have been ticketed before, but I deserved it.

16. Tberryman

Tberryman New Member

State:
    New Albany, Indiana
    When was the last time you had your license checked?
    Last year 2 times on Lake Hardy IN

Yes
    Were you fined or just warned?
    Checked all safety equipment

Do you really know where the money goes?
    I'm sure to the funding of Conservation of Fish and Wildlife

Should a conservation officer be armed with a deadly weapon?
    Absolutely ! Would you like to try and arrest a drunken armed group of
    illeagal hunters without a weapon ?

Is a larger fine needed or do away with the fishing license all together?
    I don't think so.

Are conservation officers really doing what they are supposed to be?
    I met a Conservation Officer at the boat ramp in Clarksville across for the hydros. The river was really moving that day, and I was uneasy about the strong current. My brother thought it would be fine, I asked the Officer if he'd keep an eye on us for a while, in case we had any problems moving across the heavy current. KUDOS ! that officer sat on the ramp for 4 hours watching our boat !

17. captain kirko

captain kirko New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks all,

First of all... The crappies and bass are biting in indiana!
    Green jigs fished V E R Y slow the bite is very light but are there.

Second...
    This is good information about why we need fishing license and sheads some insight other than my own.

We all need to do our part to conserve what we enjoy and focus attention on how to better control the poching and others who do not purchase license.

My keyboard fishing mounts make me laugh every time I see them on my wall. I once asked a prominent angler just how much time and money did it take to achieve his accomplishments?

Grinning from ear to ear, the gray haired angler happly replied, between my fuel and boat cost and my devorce, about $290,000, give or take a few thousand here or there, the agler said happily, it took me a lifetime to find true happiness.

REMEMBER TO FEED THE POOR, HELP THE HELPLESS, EXPECIALLY THE OLD, FOR IT IS YOU WHOM WILL BE REPAID FOR YOUR GOOD DEEDS.

18. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    1. You Do!!!! Fishing without a license is POACHING, I hate poachers!!!
    2. 3 Times last year!
    3. Always carry it!
    4. They don't give warnings here for not having one!
    5. Never cared as long as I could fish and law breakers got fined!
    6. I don't think that sidearm is enough in some sittuations. Yes they should have them!!!
    7. Yes they do but, most states don't have enough of them to do the job that is needing to be done.

19. Shadow Hunter

Shadow Hunter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I get checked by CO`s almost every time i go fishing. I feel vary grateful when i do because i fish alone most of the time at nite and it`s good to know someone is watching out for me. My vehicle is being watch. I have a small 14ft. boat and on the reservoir seems like i`m a target for the drunk rich boy`s to try to swamp me, but with CO`S around i`m safe. When i hunt turkeys in Linton i check in at CO`S office to let them know where i`m hunting and they check on me for my safety, lots of idiots in the woods nowadays. I think they are as good of people you`ll ever meet, they share info when asked. Asfor being armed, Should a policeofficer be armed? Should a fireman have access to water? I think so. Thanks to those who serve this country at home and abroad in whatever service they serve.

20. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've been checked about once per year for the last 3 years. Most of the COs are good guys and do a very good job...and yes they should be armed. I know several of them up my way & have heard some stories.

I think the cost issue is absolutely irrevelant! The amount of entertainment and basically free food most people get from fishing cannot be compared to anything. Think about it, $17 for all the fun you get out of a fishing license? Man, you can barely go to the movies anymore (once!) for that anymore. And, Indiana is still one of the cheapest states to purchase a resident license.

Finally, license fees go to funding fish & wildife management & research. When all the stuff went down after 911 & the national ecomony began the decline, many other state & federal entities were adversly affected. In Indiana, your license dollars (coupled with federal Dingell-Johnson and Wallop-Breaux funding...every license that the IDNR sells, they get a match from the federal government to help fund fish & wildlife activities) pay for management activities, biologists salaries, and research. When all that went down, the fish & wildlife part of DNR was protected pretty well because the Division of Fish & Wildlife doesn't use hardly any general funds money. Parks & reservoirs had to up useage fees because they weren't funded with the "protected" license monies.

Buy your license!!!!!