Conservation Meeting Hillsborough MO. September 18th 8:30 a.m.

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by stlcatman, Aug 12, 2009.

1. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    There is going to be a meeting held on September 18th at the Jefferson Community College at 8:30 a.m. The location is in Hillsborough MO, just about 30 minutes south of St. Louis. There are several BOC members that are planning on attending to discuss getting a 34" rule and a no transporting of live fish across state lines. If this is something that you are interested in coming to please let us know. There are some members talking about coming in from the KC side of the state so there are opportunities to carpool over. I hope to see a bunch of us show up for this one. If this is something that you believe in and you can't make it there is a petition in my signature that you can sign as well.

Thank you, and I hope to see you there!

Ryan

2. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would definately be up for going if I wasn't so far away! I totally agree with only one catfish over 34", but how will this affect tournament fisherman? Even though all of the tournaments I have ever fished you MUST return your fish to the river. It would kind of suck to catch a limit of fish over 34" and only be able to take one to the scale. I wonder if they would make exceptions to the larger tournament trails? I doubt it! It is probably going to be an all or none deal!

3. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    I think some of the tourneys in tenn you can pay for a permit.

The ones ive fished down there with 2 people in the boat you
    can bring in 2 fish over 34" the rest must be under
    it makes it very interesting and a lot of fun.

later
    slider

4. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    I don't think anyone has gone around the rule yet for a tournament but I have heard talk about it for some of the bigger ones. Most of the fisherman I have talked to say it makes for a really good tournament. You have to still find two big fish over 34" and then switch up and find the smaller ones as well. I think it makes for a more rounded tournament. Everyone has the same set of rules to fish by so it is still fair, the only people I can see it handicapping are the ones that fish by themselves. These two rules are designed to protect the larger fish. It keeps the pay ponds from other states taking our Missouir fish. It also limits the amount of large fish the commercial guys can take. I know I would sacrifice being able to keep 3 more fish over 34" in a tournament for these laws.

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I don't mean to single you out or cause any hard feelings (you just happened to ask the question first:smile2:), but I do want to take this opportunity to voice my feelings on this particular question.

This question gets brought up every time it's mentioned and I guess to me it invites another question - does it matter how it effects tournaments if it helps the fishery? :big_smile:

Me personally, I hope it would be the same for tourneys as it is for anyone else out fishing. Most tournaments are catch and release and are getting better at having someone present to weigh in big fish during the whole event, but you and I both know some fish just don't make it after being in a live well all day or night. Some anglers also won't go to the trouble to bring them in early to get weighed even if someone is there until they realize they might croak and cost them a few pounds. By then the fish probably isn't going to make it, anyway.

Tournaments are great and I have nothing against them, but I also don't think they should get a different set of rules than everyone else.:wink:

To me it's about more responsible use of the resource first, then about what it does to the tournaments.

I'm going to go ahead and put in a vacation request for that Friday and plan on heading over to do some fishing on the lower MO and Mississippi while I'm there. Maybe we can get a few of us from the KC area together and road trip over for the weekend.

6. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A-Sounds like a good idea to
    me

B- I find it gut busting funny that some have jumped on the "But what about Tournaments bandwagon"

If we are all so concerned about these fish that take years to grow why risk it boys... CPR not Cdrag it all over the place and weigh it in laterPR.

7. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo

lmao :smile2::smile2:

yep i agree do away with the tournaments !!!!! if your not gonna eat it ,, throw it back asap !!!!!

only seems right dont it ???

:wink:

8. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    Sick of this CRP crap in my opinion everyone wants to push their beliefs on every one else if i want to keep a fish or two i will i like to eat fish along with other game it is not your every day Joe we need to worry about its the commercial fisherman with no regard for future generations just concerned about money don't get me wrong all for limits but limits across the board for EVERYONE including Tournament and Commercial Fishing

9. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Sorry, didn't mean to get this off in the weeds. I don't think anyone is saying that they support this limit only to make tournament fishing better, only asking the question of the ramifications to tournament fishing. I can't seriously see anyone who supports such a rule changing their mind based on what it might or might not do to tournament rules.

The reason I posted what I did is that when that when the question is asked, it can give that impression.

Me personally, I fish for enjoyment but I do have fun at the 1 or 2 tournaments I might fish in a year. But I'm one of these weirdos who thinks seeing a big a$$ fish is reward enough in itself (Well, seeing the fish and maybe some braggin' rights from the picture:wink:). I don't get too competitive about it or think much about the money side of it.

Tournament organizations and clubs are doing more and more to promote sustainable fishing and I don't mean to imply that they're not. The rules increasing the chances for a fish surviving a tournament are getting better all the time (no stringers, "weighers" at the ramp through the duration of the event, etc) and I would assume that that trend will continue.

10. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Like it or not this is a tough issue for some and will bring tough questions. Lets work through them and use that inforamtion to answer questions later and be informed at the times we need to.

11. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Everyone has a right to his or her opinion. Ryan stated that if you believe we are doing the right thing then please come over and help get this started. We are not forcing our opinion on anyone. We are merely trying to organize those that share our opinion.

12. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri

Well I guess I am the bad guy now for bring this up! People are awful touchy around here. You ask one question and get killed over the deal, I am 100% CPR big fish anyway! I was going to add that I don't care either way, but I was trying to get out of work so I could get on the river! If they pass the law I am sure us tournament fisherman we deal with it. I would much rather them pass the law! I hate seeing big fish die!

13. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    This thread is for those who are interested in attending this meeting or signing the petition. If you don't agree then go to the meeting and argue for the other side. I don't want this to be another CPR debate. It is not my intention to start one. I am just trying to get the information out there so that people who agree with these laws can show up and voice their support.

However these laws do limit the commercial fisherman to one fish per person over 34" a day as well. The law to not allow the transportation of live fish across state lines is also directly designed to keep pay pond netters out of our waters. These laws have proven to work in other areas of the country.

So if you can spare the time on the 18th please make plans to be there. If you can't please sign the petition.

14. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    I am sorry i came off that way. I will not keep a big fish. I am all for the 34 in law. Was just saying it needs to be for everyone. Tournaments and all not going to keep it set it free. Commercial fishing is another problem that needs addressed there is no need for it in the US they can farm fish and do. I will come to the meeting and argue for the 34 in law. Once again I'm sorry did not want to upset anyone

15. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm all for the 34" in rule. As far as tournaments go, you'll just have to abide by the stae regulations no matter what they are. Look at Tournaments on Pickwick/wilson known for big fish. They have a 1 fish over 34" rule, and they still are holding a Cabelas National tournament this year. By having that rule maybe more people will start catching bigger fish. I still think they should cut back on the number of hooks trotline/limb liners are aloud to use.

16. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Trust me you don't have to apologize to me, there are no hard feelings at all. And I apologize for being blunt. This topic is always vigorously debated on here and I was just hoping that this thread didn't end up that way. I think this meeting would be beneficial to both sides to come to and voice their opinions. I think commercial fishing needs to be regulated here in Missouri. They pretty much can run wild on the catfish in the Mississippi River without limits on size, or numbers. Something needs to be done and I have heard a lot of people on here b*#ch about this very thing. The thing that aggravates me is that when it is time to quit talking and do something about it a few step up and it seems to get awful quiet for the most part. We need to step up to the plate and make some changes.
    If at one time you have complained about the commercial guys, or set liners or rod and reel guys keeping too many big fish, or have complained about the pay ponds taking big fish then do something! Here is your chance to do something besides just complain about it. If you honestly can't make it to the meeting then sign the petition.

17. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Ryan, can you post the address of where this will be held? Then I can just plug it into the GPS and go!!

18. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    I am waiting on my buddy at the department to confirm that this is the location. He is pretty sure that it is at this college but it might be an extension campus a little closer this way. I will know by next week.

19. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Date- September 18th
    Location- Jefferson College near Hillsboro(main campus)
    Time- Presentations to the Commission will start at 9:00 sharp

20. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Just put in for that Friday and the following Monday off - I plan on being there unless work goes nuts and I can't get away :big_smile:

Any of you East side types got room in a boat over that weekend or should I plan on dragging Das Boot over?