Conservation Lakes, Small creek fishing?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by rubikscube, May 20, 2009.

1. rubikscube

rubikscube New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I may not have very good luck asking about some of these places but heck I'll wing it.

I live up about forty minutes north of Columbia and I'm looking for a couple new spots to fish as I'm located in kind of a bad spot and I don't own a boat. I don't have gear really suited for fishing below dams from the bank or I'd try my hand at Mark Twain.

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys have been fishing around any of these places or know someone who has and might be able to hit me with a bit of info.

Robert M. White II Conservation Area

Little Dixie Lake Conservation Area

Union Covered Bridge (Elk Fork, empties into the Salt River anything on the Salt River would be good)

Rocky Fork Lake Conservation Area

Those are a few of the places I'm looking at, I've never really tried fishing any of the city owned Lakes up here(Mexico, etc) but I imagine most of them are heavily fished. I'm pretty much looking for catfish and I imagine most of these places just have channels.

Anyway thanks for any assistance and if you have any suggestions on other places to fish for cats (no boat mind you) feel free to share. :wink:

2. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    adam i live here in moberly and there r lots of good places to fish for cats around here even from the bank...most all of your city lakes will have cats in them u just have to be patient and willing to take the time to figure out where they r at and what they like to bite on....a buddy of mine caught a 14 1/2 lb flathead tonight out of rothwell lake here in moberly. and most ppl will swear they r not even in there. there r some good accesses to the salt river just look on the mo dept of conservation website. also i have heard stories of a deep hole a lil ways down river from the covered bridge heard of a lot of big cats coming from there so just give places a try and u never no what will happen. there r quite a few fellow boc'ers from your area on here so just pm some time and maybe we can hook up and do some fishin.

3. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Adam… You have some great spots with an hour of you there… For Blues you have the Missouri which does have public access along it where you can bank fish… For lakes, Little Dixie is noted for some nice blues as well as Hunneywell, Henry Sever and of course Mark Twain Lake. Little Dixie, Hunneywell and Sever all have boats you can rent for 5 dollars a day, just bring a trolling motor, battery and your set… bring your own PFD’s in case… Hunneywell and Sever have great bank fishing and I believe Little Dixie does also but not sure of that one… Enjoy, these conservation lakes provide great fishing... :wink:

4. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You can call the Fisheries Biologist in your area he or she should be able to help you out.

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Adam.

6. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Adam. Looks like you are getting great advice. That is what is great about the BOC. Full of great people willing to share the knowledge.

Tom

7. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC, Adam. Yeah, there's plenty of good fishing in your area. I live right near ya. I fish Mark Twain, and there are several access points where you can fish from the bank. Also, look into Cedar Bluff Conservation Area, if you like fishing small streams. It has catfish of all types, bass, and even a few smallies. It's right down the road from Union Covered Bridge, and is better fishing. The access isn't all that big, but you can fish there, or wade, or float from one bridge to the next. Some good flatties have come out of there. That's where I caught my very first one! Check it out. If you need more info, or any help at all, PM me any time.

8. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hunnewell Lake, just north of MTL, has crappie, bass, channelcats, and BLUE cats. Big cats are caught there. You can rent a john boat for $5 (Just read a PDF that said they are free, but last time I was there, I think it was $5). You can bring your own trolling motor. I'm thinking about heading up there Monday.

9. rubikscube

rubikscube New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Woah, thanks for all the information guys. I'll have to give some of these places a few tries whenever I can get some free time.