Conowingo Dam?

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by MrFlathead, Jun 23, 2009.

1. MrFlathead

MrFlathead New Member

State:
    Il
    I have a silly question... I fish alot down there for flatheads, Stripers and Walleye and have caught a couple 20 pound stripers in there and alot of 20 pound flatheads and a couple 30s but there have been 2 occasions that I have hooked something VERY big and both times the fish swam real slow just taking line and ended up breaking the abrasion weakend 40lb test power pro spectra which I will never use where there are rocks ever again DANGIT! The first one was hooked on a big ole fresh shad head and the other was on a live bluegill as big as my hand. Now back home in Illinois I have caught a couple big flatheads the biggest being 43lbs and it reminded me of that except the real slow swimming. These fish bit like a flathead just pecking at it like they do down there but what has me confused is are there flatheads in the 40lb range down there yet? I didnt think that they had been in the Maryland waters for very long. Unless it slipped through the gates when they were opened or something. I know there are BIG Stripers that come up there but it just swam so slow i wouldnt think it would be one of those.

Oh.... For any of you that didnt know, Conowingo Dam is an amazing place for Flatheads and Channels its just one right after another if you know how to get them and I highly recomend this place to you all! Here are a couple pics of fish from there.

Attached Files:

• 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      22.3 KB
      Views:
    • 13.jpg
      13.jpg
      File size:
      32.7 KB
      Views:
    • 14.jpg
      14.jpg
      File size:
      23.2 KB
      Views:
  2. MrFlathead

MrFlathead New Member

State:
    Il
    moreses

All these were from Conowingo Dam

Attached Files:

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Did you know there is any eating advisory for for catfish on the Susquehanna?

One meal per month is suggested!:wink:

4. MrFlathead

MrFlathead New Member

State:
    Il
  5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    what ever was taking your line out real slow and just tappin on your bait could of been a big turtle, i've seen some big turtles down there, hell the one time we were about a mile below the dam and i thought a big rock was sticking out of the water and when we got closer in the boat we seen it was the biggest turtle i've ever seen, the shell had to of been as round as the bottom of a 55 gal. barrel, i couldn't believe it

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
  7. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    yep, crap rolls down hill:wink:

8. I knew somebody would come up with that one.:eek:oooh:

9. stash

stash New Member

State:
    NY
    Zach: I'm new to fishing the Conowingo dam and I was wondering about the techniques used there for flatheads? I've only been there once, mainly to observe since it is a pretty different place to fish. I tried some plastic shads, some live eels and a bluegill that was given to me. I did have some bites but I think I reacted slowly and was taken into the rocks. I lost quite a few rigs...not sure if I should use light weight and bounce the bait off the bottom, or use a heavier weight and attempt to hold bottom? Do you use circle hooks?

Please PM me if you (or anyone else here) is willing to help me out?!

Thank you

Henry

10. realtree69

realtree69 Member

State:
    Marietta ,PA
    I know some people gonna get upset at this but , Would have alot more 40lbrs in the susky if people wouldn't keep the all the fish they catch.

11. bigcats.

bigcats. Active Member

State:
    pa
    glenn and i both fished a tourny on sat on the susky. it was a cat tourny. glenn and i were the only ones to release our fish. there was alot of them left on the floor of the boats. i have no problem people eating catfish they catch. but most people only keep the big ones. the small fish up to 10lb are the best to eat. i know 2 other guides, and about 3 other guys if we decided to keep all the big fish we got in a years time, there would not be many left in certain sections we fish. i catch alot of fish with hook sores in their mouth that were caught before. so even if there are big fish out there, they don t grow that big overnight. last year i had over 5000 lbs of catfish in my boat from the susky. you take 4 other guys doing same. that would be 20,000 lbs of catfish that the common retard won t catch. so for those you you that eat the big fish, thank us guys that put them back so you can stuff your face.

12. catman30

catman30 Member

State:
    Pa
    Put them in the livewell and take them somewhere safe from the meathunters and killers.

13. jb31980

jb31980 New Member

State:
    pa
    I also hate to see people keep every fish they catch! I also wouldnt eat anything out of the susquehanna! A single 10-15lb catfish makes a nice meal for 2,3, even 4 people, any more then 1 or 2 fish is just wasteful. There are reports ive heard about the smallmouth bass being asexual, having both male and female organs...due to polution. Does anybody really want to eat fish that are exposed to that?? I put EVERYTHING i catch right back...after a little CPR "if over 30lbs" That way someone else and myself can enjoy catching these river monsters again and for years to come.

14. realtree69

realtree69 Member

State:
    Marietta ,PA
    X2 You hit the nail on the head .

15. fmac713

fmac713 New Member

State:
    Pa
    100% agree with Glenn and Lee

16. catman30

catman30 Member

State:
    Pa
    We are in the new generation of internet fishing. The net easily informs people of where to go and how to catch catfish. Some folks would've never had as much success catching them without being informed via the net. Some of these people I wish remained uninformed due to mishandling etc.
    If you are a successful catfisherman and are conservation minded, it might be best to keep your secrets to yourself. I see that this is a rising trend among veteran catmen. As Bigcats once told me, loose lips sink ships.

17. jb31980

jb31980 New Member

State:
    pa
    When people ask me were i catch such big fish i tell them anywhere between harrisburg and maryland... nobody told me where to go, what to use as far as gear, what to use for bait. Had to figure it all out on my own. Im not against other people fishing for flatties, but im not putting them on fish. I love this site for the river reports and seeing photos of big fish.

18. mike_4843

mike_4843 Member

State:
    Shippensburg PA
    Us, as catfishermen. Need to try, to get Pa to lower the creel limit of 50 catfish per day down to around 5. But, I keep to myself most of the time about people keeping every catfish they catch because I keep most of the gills I catch, for bait. And I'm sure there's alot of unhappy panfishermen, getting ticked off at me for doing that. With that being said, catfish are too valuable to only be caught once.

19. sgt413

sgt413 Member

State:
    Pa

I love to catch large catfish as well but what makes someone a common retard for keeping as many catfish as they want? Don't we take as many bluegills,chubs, shad etc that we legally can and basically waste them trying to catch catfish? I have heard several other guys complain about ponds they use to be able to take their kids to to fish for bluegills be void of bluegills now because of our behavior keeping as many of the breeding size bluegills as we can all in the pursuit of catching another fish just to throw that other fish back. Aren't we doing the same thing but to another species of fish? Are we to be considered common retards for our behavior? We do not even eat them but yet we call someone a common retard for taking however many catfish they legally want and eating them. Maybe I misread the post but that sounds kind of hypocritical.

20. bigcats.

bigcats. Active Member

State:
    pa
    what i was getting at is the common retard needs to thank the guys that cpr the big fish. so when they sit down with there family and eat the 30 lb fish that dad brought home in the trunk of the buick skylark .
    as for bait fish, there are what they are. they are bait. there are way more bluegills, and chubs in pa then there are 30 lb flatheads. flatheads are also not found in local farm ponds and other places such as bait fish. so the guy that can t catch blue gills maybe needs to move down the road to another spot and catch more. once the big flats are gone there gone. they did nt grow over night such as bait fish. i have no problem with eating small fish. i belive thats what it said on my post. the real ? is are you a common retard? or just an internet fisherman that learned everything you know by lerking on this website?