Connecting in Parallel

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Liver Slinger, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Liver Slinger

Liver Slinger New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Last year I bought a battery from O'Riellys told them it was for a TM. They sold me a Marine Start battery, at the time I did not know any better.
    It worked fine last year but this spring loses its charge faster each time I charged it.
    Any how it shot craps on me Saturday had to use my motor to get back in an elc. only lake.
    I went to Wal-Mart and bought 2 "Ever Start" Deep cycle 115amp hr.
    batterys. Has any one tried the Ever Start Batterys?

Thinking about connecting them in Parallel.

Will this double my amp. hr. run time with out smoking my TM?

How about charging and discharging?

Im not really sure If I want to do the Parallel , main reason I bought 2 was one for my TM and one for night fishing to run a light.

Thanks Ron

2. Cuda

Cuda Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    Hook one up to start the motor and the other to the TM. That way you can always hook them together to charge while you are running the big motor. That way you will still get the motor started. They make a battery isolater that lets the charge go through but it will not drain the main battery. Google it you will find them.

3. Liver Slinger

Liver Slinger New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I have an outborad pull start motor

??????

4. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    yes if u parrell them + to + and -to - its like having a battery twice the size u have as far as draw down time goes it shouldn,t hurt tm u r not increasing voltage ,just capacity

5. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD

:0a27:

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I'd buy a 24 volt motor. They are more effecient then 12 volters.

7. osthusna

osthusna New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    yeah that guy was right positive to positive and negative to negative. me and my buddy just did that with our everstart and our interstate batteries. If you hook them up parallel and NOT series you still have 12V not 24V but we've noticed that our run time actually increase by a pretty hefty margine. I recommend hookin them together.

good luck

8. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    not sure of the charger name but they make one that will charge both batteries at the same levels instead of having a full charged battery and a half charged battery they will just both be and the same level..

9. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    In parallel, you add amps, in series, you add volts.

Two 12v batteries in series = 24v, and will cook a 12v load.

10. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I agree totally, you are correct. If he decides to go with the deep cycle batteries, he'll need to use a trickle charger to maintain the state of charge. We all know they don't like rapid charging ( vehicle's alternator)

11. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    i have the wally world everstart maxx. it gets me around for 3 or 4 days of bassin on one charge and i have an 17' alum with an old johnson tm. you should be able to run for 2 weeks!

12. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    right on dumptruck, in one of my boats a made a "quick connect" for my two batterys' in parralell, just so I know when the TM battery needs charged, deep cycle battery's need to be drained and charged(completely charged) it helps them last longer.

13. Wiskerstickerr

Wiskerstickerr New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Hook them in parallel. I have done it on my boat. I have 3 batteries...one for the big motor and two others hooked in parallel to run my TM and all of my other lights and additional livewell circulation pumps. I have been out fishing almost 24 hours running almost everything and still showed good on my battery charge.