Connecting anchor lines

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by nosnag, Jan 21, 2006.

1. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Ok, here goes,
    I use my boat in both shallow and really deep water.I may need only 50' of anchor rope one time, and 400' the next.I have been using Quick Links on the ends of each 100' rope and one 50' rope.These are the type that have a tie bolt to secure the connection.I have a loop at the other end to hook the connector through.
    I am wondering if anyone has a better idea of a way to Tie these ropes together without having all ropes permanently joined?I've thought about rappel clips but I do'nt trust the springs if they should rust.
    Any input would be appreciated.
    BILL

2. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Try using a bowline knot at the end of each rope. It is a atrong knot and easy to untie even after being pulled tight. I'll try to find a link with a description.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I used to fish and crab in 2 feet deep creeks to 50 + feet in lakes,sounds and coastal waters.Safty called for a min.of 3 to 1,up to 10 to 1 max.line to water depth ratio.I look for the worst to happen,and hope it don;t.I have known a lot of people,in my 60 years,that look for the best and don;t worry about it.I am here and my bad times were just inconvenient.The ones that don;t worry,well most of their bad times were terrible,and for some,they were their last time.I spliced galvinized harness snaps and rings into both ends of each of my anchor lines.I could snap my two snaps into my two rings (doubling my safety facter),and lenghten my lines as needed.I allso carried a float with a ring attached and "NOT ABANDONED"with my name and phone number on it.I could snap this on in a hurry,if I got a fish on,and needed to follow it.peewee-williams.

4. Rivercat1

Rivercat1 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use the repel clips for years and never have had a promblem.

5. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am with Joe, learn to tie the bowline and you will be good to go.

6. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
  7. Jed R. Plymesser

Jed R. Plymesser New Member

State:
    FREE kOUNTRY u.s.a
    I can't get in2 da chat-room:crying: :sad:

8. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Thank you for the input guys,
    I guess I left one little part of the question out when I wrote it.I have quite a few people with me at times and I try to keep it simple ,so I do'nt have to depend on their knowledge of knots when they are up front handling the anchor lines.I lost 300' of 1/2" nylon rope once doing that.Hurt the wallet bigtime.
    I used to use the bowline knot myself when I fished mostly alone.But I found it easier to have the connectors on the ends so that when guests were with me they only had to run the connector through the eyes and lock up the nuts.I have the wrench attached to a lanyard so it is handy.
    Trouble is I have to put grease on the threads to keep away the salt water corrosion/rust, and it can get messy.I had repel clips on the old boat cover, and the salt just ate away the small springs under the lip,so I ended up with just hooks on the end.
    I know that they make the connectors from stainless steel and I was just
    hoping I could save the expense of having to buy them.

BILL

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I generally use the bowline, but if you're worried about the spring clips rusting out in the rappel clips (carabiners), use the locking type that closes by screwing it shut; there's no spring involved. This isn't a good choice if you go months and months, or even years between using the clips. Should they start rusting, you need to clean & grease the threads or, like a nut & bolt left out in the weather, they could rust solid. But don't get the idea that they're bad about rusting; I've used one for years on the safety chain on my jonboat trailer.

10. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    why not have 450 feet of anchor line in a bucket or some other way of keeping it stored securely and using a cleat on the bow of the boat? I mean you can find an anchor line on a roll at most boating stores that will give you 450 feet of line, though im not sure how much it would cost... probably not too much... It'd all be one piece of line so you don't have to worry about too much with it at all.

11. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    You might look into using Large Brass Snaps one one end and a Brass ring on the other. I've used brass snaps/rings when Scuba diving & fishing for years without any real problems. And trust me I have not babyed them either. The only one I ever broke was my fault entirely.

Frank

12. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Sorry Brian,
    Have you ever seem 450 foot of 3/8 rope all at once?It would fill a washtub.Plus the twists in the lay of the rope would make it impossible to remove the kinks.
    I finally broke down and bought some s.s. connectors,thimbles, and u-bolts.I did'nt like the final cost,but figured that it was worth it to save the cost of replacing all that 3/8" line.The nuts on the connectors are fairly easy to finger tighten without using a wrench.
    Again, I thank all for the input.

BILL

13. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    I would have posted this link sooner but I couldn't remember what it was. I think every useful knot imaginable is on this site.

""www.animatedknots.com "" if it doesn't comeup go to "animated knots by Grog"

14. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    450 ft of continuous line takes up less space then joined line...

15. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I forgot a couple of very important things.Your very first anchor line,needs to be large enough in diameter,that you can easely handle the weight of your anchor,when it leaves the bottom,and you are bouncing around in the waves.I used a 40 lb.fire door anchor for years,on a boat with a hull weight of 370 lbs.Also,cleats,eyes,or what ever you tie up with.Will they hold when the going gets rough?From Santee to Tybee Rodes,I have seen the fittings torn out of many large boats,in 2-4 ft.seas and swells when people tie up.It ain;t the size of waves and swells that are dangerous.It is the shape,and the way that they are breaking.Our lives depend on the worst that is going to happen,comming in a split second.Worse,the lives we have lost,are sometimes the ones we value the most.If you can not anchor properly around the Carolina and Georgia Coast,Your boat,with your remains,may be found drifting off Jacksonville Florida.Think of every place that would be dangerous to drift into.Then make sure that you won;t.peewee-williams

16. Waynell

Waynell New Member

State:
    VA
    To: Nosnag

"Sorry Brian,
    Have you ever seem 450 foot of 3/8 rope all at once?It would fill a washtub.Plus the twists in the lay of the rope would make it impossible to remove the kinks.
    I finally broke down and bought some s.s. connectors,thimbles, and u-bolts.I did'nt like the final cost,but figured that it was worth it to save the cost of replacing all that 3/8" line.The nuts on the connectors are fairly easy to finger tighten without using a wrench.
    Again, I thank all for the input."

BILL

-------------------------------------------------------

Hi:

I have a similar problem with connecting anchor lines and cleats
    Please describe in detail how you connect the s.s connectors, thimbles and u-bolts to everything. What got connected to what?

Thanks,
    Waynell

17. Southerncats

Southerncats New Member

State:
    Alabama