Congregation at El Dorado

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Catfish Fever, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Calvin,
    What's it look like for us congregating at El Dorado this year? Is the lake still pretty low? This time there'll probably three of us. If we have to wait a little longer/later in the year this time, that'll be okay. I don't remember just when it was last year. Let me know, thanks.

2. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    The lake is still low Jim. It came up a few inches last week. If we get another good rain it should come on up. The first one had to fill up all the watersheds up above the lake. Tyler & I hunted turkeys in the snow this morning. I'm not sure I can remember doing that before. We got about four to six inches in many places around here Friday. I'm looking forward to having you guys come down. I'd say sometime in May will be the best for fishing at ElDorado. I'm taking a week's vacation in the middle of May to go to Toronto. Maybe you can make it down there too.

3. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Calvin, I don't think I'll be able to make both, I'm pretty sure Jerald would'nt be able to either. What kind of camping facilities is there at Toronto Lake, pretty much like El Dorado? How far is it in relation to El Dorado, closer, farther? I've heard you guy's talking about Toronto Lake a few times, but I'm not really familiar with it my self, I'll check out the map and see where it's at. Looking forward to fishing with you all again, heck, we might even catch some fish this time:lol:

4. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Calvin,

Let me know when you are going back to Toronto, I might make it up there for a 3 day weekend again, I love that lake!

5. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Jeff, I'll probably be going over there again in a couple of weeks. Jim it is about 50 miles east of El Dorado. Camping is much like ElDorado. I know you would like it. There are no blues there but some of the biggest channel cats and flatheads in the state. I'll be fishing both places this spring and would love to fish with you guys at either one or both. I am also planning on visiting you at Milford before it gets too hot. I'm still doing my rain dance, hoping to get some water back in ElDorado.

6. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Calvin,
    I searched the map last night, couldn't find it, mostly cause I didn't know where to look:roll_eyes: , found it right off with your "explicit" directions:wink:. Yeah, that looks pretty good, not really much farther, if El Dorado doesn't come up, we'll meet you there. If I can get a fairly approximate date, as far in the future as possible, as one of the guy's coming has a popup trailer he said he'd bring, but he needs advance notice to schedule time off, he's one of these guy's that "has to work":crazy:. So let me know as soon as you can.
    I'm going to get a season pass for the state park this year, they lowered their rates this year, specially for us old farts, I think it'll only cost me like $10.75 or some thing like that. I'd just as soon fish a new lake any way, let me know. Thanks

7. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Jim, I'm on vacation for a week during the middle of May. I think its the 16th but I'll have to look to be sure. It's the week of the dark moon. I'll probably go over Friday night and stay until the following Sunday. I want to catch some of those big channels and flatheads. I might even hunt turkeys some. I'm sure you guys will enjoy Toronto. As for ElDorado, I'll be fishing there several weekends this spring and summer and I'm sure we can get together there. I'm planning on going to the Keystone Gathering in June too.

8. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Calvin,
    The 18th is the Friday of that week. I'll let Jerald and Matt know and see what they say. I hope the snowy weather is gone by then:roll_eyes:. I'd like to head that way on Thursday afternoon and leave Sunday evening. But it'll probably work out to where they can't leave till Friday evening. If that's the case, maybe I could come on Thursday if you think you could put me up for one night. Then I'd meet up with them Friday.
    As for Keystone, I doubt we'll be coming, just a little to much of a ride for Lydia with her problems. We don't even visit our son anymore(in Arkansas).

9. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Jim, I'm pretty sure I will be there on that week. I'll come down on Friday, May 11, and stay until the 20th. You are, of course, welcome to stay with me. They are calling for more winter weather this week but I am sure it will be over with by then. Of course the weather can be a major factor at Toronto. that lake can rise faster than any in Kansas after a good rain. If the lake is flooding we may have to fish El Dorado or Milford. But barring excessivly high water I am confident we will be successful with the catfish that week.

10. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Calvin,
    Well, for now at least, it looks like it'll be Toronto in May. If Matt can't make it, and Jerald can, we'll just haul a trailer down, I'll get it on post, I'll bring the boat, he'll bring the trailer. I'll talk with them tomorrow. Otherwise, I'll just come myself, I can make out just fine in the topper of the truck for the weekend. I'll let you know soon as I can.

11. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Calvin,
    Talked with Matt(MDSpoula), he's in for the weekend of the 18th at Toronto, he's bringing the camper, me and Jerald will bring the boat, desire, expectation and the BEER! :big_smile: :big_smile:. Are your plans still the same for that weekend? Sure hope so.

12. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    My plans are still the same Jim. I'm looking forward to it. Bye the way. Either your in-box is full or something else is wrong. For the past two or three days all the e-mails I've sent you have come back as "undeliverable". That usually means your in-box is full.
    I think you will like Toronto. There are no blues but some of the largest channels in the state and the flathead fishing can be great. We may even want to slip over to Woodson County Lake, about five miles away, for an evening too.
    I'm going to Keystone this weekend and will have a report for you when I return.

13. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

sounds like fun to me

14. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I may venture up that way, depending on what is going on with the house. Not sure the boss will let me get away or not.

15. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Barring too high of water that should be a good week to catch some fish. The moon is dark and the flatheads are going to be getting ready to go on the nest. You may have to just shirk your responsibilities for a couple of days Jeff.

16. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I am going to print that post out and show it to my wife.........then DUCK!:lol:

17. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Calvin,
    I usually don't get on the PC till late, 11:30/12, some times a whole bunch in there, lotsa junk. I've experienced that with you too:lol: Sure looking forward to seeing and fishing with you again. You'll have to let me know the area you'll be camped in, I know it ain't right, BUT, if you can, hold us a place next to you. I'll give you a holler on the phone fore we come down.

18. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Calvin,

You still going up next weekend? I was not sure what all the rain did to your plans, or what all the water would do to the fishing up there. I know it is pretty touchy as to the river and lake coming up and down in a hurry.

Let me know, I think the boss is going to let me get away for the weekend. We break ground tomorrow on the basement, so there is not a whole lot I can do yet on the house.

PS - Did you have any luck last week over there?

19. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    nevermind I had a brainfart and forgot when you were going up....you are already there, and Eldorado to boot!

20. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Calvin,

Caught one Sunday night about 28lbs, picture is on the flathead forum. Do you think any of those flatheads hang out up under the spillway? All the way up there?

Seems logical they would, constant fresh, deep water up there. But I never see or hear of anyone catching any up there. What do you think?