Congratulations

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by oh no, Sep 13, 2006.

1. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE
    1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!
    First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking .

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem .

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no text messaging, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents .

We played with worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays,

made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them! <o:p>

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO
    DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

and while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Whooo Hoooo, I still love the taste of lead paint!! :big_smile:

3. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I love this post and if I may I'd like to quote that in my Book/journal if I may?
    Yup, I can still taste that ol' lead paint...oh the memories..lil garbled but just the same!! :lol: :tounge_out:

4. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    what???? i really hope that ur saying that all those things only apply to you! they dont. many of those things apply to the kids of today because i see it everywhere in my town and everywhere else i go. u said bb gun at 10, i got mine at 7. my parents turned the air bags off in our car and never made us wear the seatbelts and yes they do side with the law and i for one enjoy drinking from the hose. and as for the outside playing all day thing... i too do that except its in the woods or at a lake fishing or hunting all day. i have an xbox but its collecting dust in its box in my closet. my phone doesnt have text messaging and i dont talk on it often anyways. i know adults that text more than some kids these days do. and all of these things dont just apply to me because ALL of my friends are like this and most people that arent my friends are too!

just to clear up a few things for ya :)

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    you and your freinds are some of the few ,wil. most of the kids i see a spoilt . the luxeraries of the like i never saw as a kid . the only time my kids play outside is when i push them out . but then im in more than they are lol gotta have my dose of the BOC everyday

6. Prospector

Prospector New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Thank you for your post. I too am a "classic model" 1957 to be exact. I had 2 older brothers who used me as a test dummy. Bend a tree sapling down, put me on it, cut the rope and then measure how far I flew!! Or tie me to the back of the old sow and turn her loose through the blackberry patch. Or see how much fun it was talking me into pissing on an electric fence. But IF this were to happen today... kids would call the law and holler "Child Abuse"!! Kids today are spoiled. Dont have common sense God gave a goose.
    They get online, like in 18 and over poker rooms, and use vulgar screen anmes, use the "F" word ever other word, pesterate people just because they can. But they're supposed to adults. All they're doing is showing how they were raised!! I will now get off my soapbox, cause it will lead to some of the actions I've seen on here!!

THANKS AGAIN for the Great Post!!

7. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Glad that FW included the 30's or I'd been left out. :lol:

Playing.... I was outside working most of the time, not much time for play on a farm.

And about the street lights... we didn't get electricity until I was 13. :lol:

I will say I was raised in a different world from today and in some ways a much better place.

8. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    I remember getting our first VCR when I was in 9th grade, That thing was almost as big as the tv set!

9. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    I remember having window fans and the heat outside was not a problem. Now with everyone having air they think the temps have went up over the years, when in reality people just got spoiled. Even me.