Congaree River report

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by IndianCoach, Jun 20, 2007.

1. IndianCoach

IndianCoach New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Anybody been down to the Congaree? I'm sure it's shallow but that ought to put the fish in the deep holes for sure. About to get into some time off and I was looking to get a report before I try it blind. Any help is appreciated.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I haven't been there lately, but I did cross the river both on 601 and I-77, and I can tell you it is very low. I'll be back up toward 601 and the Wateree tomorrow, but probably won't have time to fish. :sad2:

3. IndianCoach

IndianCoach New Member

State:
    S.C.
    We got skunked like never before. Put in and had lines in the water with large cut herring at 8:30. Tried one of my favorite deep holes and not a nibble. Went further down to the confluence with the Wateree and fished another hole and NADA. Some fellas in a large boat were fishing a couple hundred yards from us in the middle of the channel and I heard them catch a large one. Lots of flopping around and tail slapping. I figured maybe they are shallow. We moved on down and set up in 9 foot and nothing. Even tried stink bait for some channels and not a bite. No gar bites or pickups from anything. It was a beautiful night however and it was surprisingly cool out there. After the cool ones were gone we headed in about midnight without so much as one bite. Might try Marion tonight around the river channel. Can't do much worse.

4. maddkatz22

maddkatz22 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the report, Where did you put in at? Good luck in the Main Lake....

5. IndianCoach

IndianCoach New Member

State:
    S.C.
    601 Bridge. Hitting Marion tonight. Gonna get around the channel on the south side of the bridge. Gotta be some cooler water out there. Will be a bit more comfortable as we are breaking out the 'toon. Hope the wind lays. Supposed to be 5 outta the south.

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Dann, I was up there yesterday, working near 601 and the Wateree and back down toward I-95. Wateree was real muddy, up just a little, but falling; maybe that had something to do with it all. Didn't see many boats fishing at all. Thanks for the report.

7. IndianCoach

IndianCoach New Member

State:
    S.C.
    We had a decent night on the Marion. Set up on the channel on the deep side first and had no luck in 25'. Moved over to the other side in 10' right on the ledge and did fairly well. Cut herring was the bait of choice and most bites came from the edge of the channel. Ended up with two blues 10,11 and one Flathead 19.5 which was my bro in law's PB. (He's a pond fisherman.) Lost 4 more due to wrapped stumps and one big fish just pulled the hook. Not bad for a three hour trip. Water was 89 in the cove and 84 next to the channel. Deep water summertime mode seems to be in effect.