Congaree River catfishing

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by big corey, Nov 25, 2007.

1. big corey

big corey New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    hey my name is corey im new to this site i would like to know if anybody
    fishes the lower congaree river if so any tips on locating the fish
    please reply:big_smile:

2. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Hello Corey,Welcome to the Boc glad to have you with us. I don't know to much about the Congaree but i'm sure someone on here does. It doesn't usually take to long and someone will chime in with an answer to your question.

3. big corey

big corey New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    any advice on the hooks i should use in the congaree ill be fishing with 3to3
    and ahalf in. bream or shad heads should i use circle octupus or baitholder
    hooks

4. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I can't really answer either question, but I tried the Congaree off 601 a few weeks ago. Beautiful river, lots of bends and deep holes. I caught nothing, but I spooked one hiding behind a big rock in shallow water. From the distance between his dorsal fin and tail I'd guess 30 lbs. So they are there, now you just have to figure out how to get em on your hook.

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Corey welcome to the BOC. I havent ever actualy fished the congaree but I have fished where it comes together with the wateree and down river. i have never caught any real big fish up there but alot of 6-20# blues especially in the spring of the year. I would use a 5/0 gamagatsu octopus circle hook on a caroilina rig. Good luck and let us know how you do.

6. big corey

big corey New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    yea that is were i fish to i put in at 601 bridge and go down river to the wateree and go up the wateree a ways but not realy had any action
    but i love to fish i am only 15 so i can only go when my dad wants to go
    i only been down there about 4or5 times just getting into fishing heavy
    i havent give up on it yet i am interested in it would you please tell me
    the tequnique that you used to catch fish at wateree and how you locate
    the fish

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Corey,

Hang in there someone will be by to help ya out. What I can tell you is that a lot of people are having a hard time locating fish, its just that time of year. If you do find them you can end up with some huge fish. Just don't give up, keep looking and take this time to learn your water and maybe even log it in a journal....you will love it come next year if you do.

If I were you I would look around real hard at the shore line when you go out in the boat with your dad. I can understand not being able to take the boat out alone yet but pehaps you can bank fish somehow. I'm willing to bet that if you hook up with a few biggins dad will want to fish a lot more also, LOL,,yea I know, sneaky but no harm done ; )

Good luck,
    -Jim-

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Welcome to the gang Corey.

9. pog2

pog2 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hi Corey, welcome to the BOC. I fished the Congaree for the first time about 2 months ago with a friend right off of 601 nice river, fished all night only caught 6 with the biggest only about 13 lb. and seen 2 gators.

10. big corey

big corey New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    were you fishing in shollow or deep water and thanks pog2