Congaree in South Carolina - May 29-30.

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by mudfishmusic, Jun 1, 2009.

1. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    We put the boat in at 601 about 6:30pm then fished all night. Took out about 7am. Caught 3 blues total. One in the low to mid teens and 2 in the low to mid 20's.

This was hard fishing. The river was full of water and flowing hard. The water was muddy and full of trash and logs. We tried several different set ups but anywhere there was current the trash was abundant. About midnight we decided we were done dodging logs and trying to fight the current. We moved up into a flat on the back of a sandbar where there was little to no current. I stretched the boat out betwean 2 anchors and we cast out around with slack lines like a spider. I dropped the Hydro light over the side and we finally had a few bites. What action there was all came on blue back herring. We had out some cut bream as well but nothing doing there.

Now I'm not ready to give credit to the green light yet but I have noticed that twice lately I've ended up in similar situations and both times it has seemed that the fish might be responding to light. Last weekend we were in a very similar spot and it seemed that everytime you would run a Qbeam over the surface around the willows the bait would start splashing. It would only be a minute before a rod would take off. This weekend wasn't quite as obvious but we certainly had a lot more action during the time the light was on than when it was off. Of course we were in a different set up so the experiment was hardly scientific. Has anyone else had similar experiences with lights?

2. boedict

boedict New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Lawrence I know what you mean about the trash and hard running muddy water.I was out friday till 11 and only got one blue just over 10lbs I fished a few different spots with no luck. I was using white perch,thread fin shad and gizard shade. I dont think it mattered what you used the bite was just slow.If we dont get a bunch more rain this week it should get better. When you going to try to get back out??Im going sometime this week.

3. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I knew the bite would be slow. It seems that when the river is like that I always manage a few fish but it's just tedious.

I'm playing it by ear this week. I'm watching the water levels. If the water drops about 2 feet at Trezvants and I get the chance I may go back out Wed. I've got band practice Thursday and I've got a wedding in Greenville to attend this weekend so that's shot. It may be sometime next week before I get back out. I'm planning to spend next weekend on the water for sure.