Confusing wording

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Ghoulscout 13, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    ok so i checked the NC regulations site today (just to make sure nothing has changed recently) and this is what it said. and the phrasing i am confused about is in bold

"
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A resident may fish with natural bait in his county of residence without a basic fishing license in inland public waters. "Natural bait" is any bait which may be beneficially digested by fish. An individual must carry a form of identification that indicates the name and current address. This exemption does not apply to the special trout license.[/FONT] "

so here is my question Dose stink bait and comercial baits fall under this duristiction? i mean can they be Beneficially Digested by fish?

what are your opinions?

2. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    what i was told by our local GW is that any natural bait may be used, this is bait make of fishparts, dough, (chicken livers, by the way are not native to the waters of north carolina). Since most stink baits are made from fish, cheese, liver ect it falls into natural baits. but the object used to hold the bait may be looked as not natural and there for fall into that gray area, gray area in the laws are inetpret by the game warden, We get this same in hunting waterfowl using the wildlife ramps where it says no firearms are alowed but the ramps are there for the use of boaters, when i question the GW one day when we were coming back form hunting he was checking and never said a word about the guns, so i asked, his reply is what we were hunting and the sign is for people not using the guns around the ramps. but the wording could easly have got us a ticket if the warden wanted too.

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    the cheapiest answer to your question would be to buy some license. one GW will say your okay but the next will say you are breaking the law and write you a ticket. then you got to go to court to try and beat it. either way you gonna loose. i would buy the license but you do have a great question. the thing i see with stink bait is that it is a commerically made bait to me and not natural. can a fish benefit from it? well that would take a rocket scientists and three lawyers in superior court a year to get a answer.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Jeff, just so you'll know, there was a thread a while back in the NC section talking about guns on boat ramps.
    I emailed the NCWRC and received a prompt reply.
    It is LEGAL to posess firearms on ALL NC Wildlife ramps.
    If you can find the thread in archives I posted the reply from the NCWRC.
    Obviously if you are hunting, your rifle or shotgun wouldnt be loaded before you got to your hunting area or if you were returning.
    If the ramp you are using is in a state park the laws could or would be different.
    Be aware of federal property too like Lake Mattamuskeet. You'll get the gas chamber for posessing a butcher knife there.
    The intent of the Wildlife ramp concept is access for the pursuit of fish and game.

5. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    As far as the natural bait goes, I would say anything like worms and baitfish are fine, but when you get into the commercial stink bait I could see them having a problem. I would just buy a license since they are doing away with the natural bait without a license on january 1st. Thats also when they are starting the coastal recreational fishing license. its just a little crazy what they consider coastal. Everything from the big bridge in newbern out to the ocean is considered coastal, so basically everything in carteret county needs the new license. You can possess firearms at the boat ramps, they just have to be unloaded, then once you leave the ramp load. Oh yeah and if you use cast nets your supposed to have a special device permit. So basically they will get me for about $60 a year once the coastal water license goes into effect.

6. dredgeman

dredgeman New Member

State:
    n.c.
    I would just buy my license so i could fish with whatever i wanted.:0a18:

7. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You cannot use stinkbait as natural bait! As of Jan 1st you will need a license to fish with natural bait in your county as this law will cange and you will get a ticket for fishing without a license!

8. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey jaync or anybody else does this special device license (cast nets)that jays referring to apply to inland waters too.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Unless you are disabled or a welfare recipient.
    I wonder what house bill this was hidden in the bowels of.:crazy:

10. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    well sometimes mark if watch me throw a cast net, you would think i was disabled to throw one.:lol: might better check in on this for my good cast.

11. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    i would like to thank everyone for their opinions, i never really use stink baits unless im going to a pay lake and i think the fish have been programed to approce commercials as food. other wise i use bait fish caught on worms.

i think that you should be allowed to fish in your county of residence with out a lincese, you pay your local taxes there and that should give you the right to fish there. you paid to install and maintain public fishing areas there and should be allowed to use them at your leasure.

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Counties dont govern or enforce state fishing and hunting laws. Game Wardens are state employees.
    A big part of license fees goes to the payroll of the Commission employees.

I fish alot in my county with live bait and I dont have a problem buying a license. 15 dollars a year to fish in freshwater isnt asking whole lot of anyone disabled, on welfare, or otherwise.
    Many people blow that 10 times over on the lottery or fast food resturants. Those on welfare included.
    Its a small voluntary tax to pay to fish virtually anywhere in the state you want to wet a hook.

We need more game wardens in this state. Most counties have just one and More violations are gotten away with then those that are caught.
    Its hard to be out on the lake checking fishermen and boaters and be in the woods enforcing hunting laws at the same time. Entire areas suffer in wildlife and fish management alot more then I do extracting 15 bucks from my wallet.

13. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    At least you dont get the "Double Whammy" Here in Washington NC the railroad bride seperates "inland" from "coastal" waters. I put my boat in on coastal and then go upriver to inland...so I have to have it all on Jan 1 2007 to go out at all..LOL

14. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I just bought the special device permit just so there is no grey area. I know that some wardens interperet the rules differently and if it says special device on my license then they cant say anything. Besides its only ten dollars, most people spend that much on either soda or beer in a week, and its good for a whole year.

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    They will write you a ticket if you dont have it in Johnston county.
    Some of these rules its better to ask a warden where you are going to fish or either pony up and cover your butt.

16. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Cast nets are NOT special permit items. They do however have rules that go with them.

17. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    They are special permit items if the warden interprets it that way like the one here does.
    These aint speeding tickets that I can represent myself on and easily have them reduced or thrown out. You cant fight the NCWRC.

Just like I've had 2 different wardens tell me two different things about catching bait in one place and carrying it to a different body of water to fish with.
    One says you cant, the other says I can all day long as long as the the bait is natural to the body of water I fish.
    I fixed that problem. Everytime I go catfishing I got a bream pole with me regardless of where my bait comes from but I always caught them around that bend over yonder.:lol:

18. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    man you guys are confusing me here. at first i thought this was a new law taking effect in 2007 but some think its a old law. i really havent looked at all the laws that close. i guess the fastest way to find out is get caught using a cast net. i never been check for bait but i know the days coming.

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    We have a member who about 18 months ago was nabbed casting a net from the bank in the tailrace of Holt's lake.
    The warden told him he had get a license for it so Keith left and went straight to the bait store and bought the license.

the game and fishing laws in this state arent written very well. They are written with alot of fancy talk.
    If those idiots up there in Raleigh would realize that alot of us are just plain ol dumb uneducated heathens that partake in the hunting and fishing and wite the rules accordingly it would be a blessing.
    Even use some pictures, especially if you aren't going to print it in Spanish.