confusing day

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by massa_jorge, Nov 21, 2009.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    what a frieking day i have had. it all started this morning at 4 am. we headed up to the lake meredith federal lands to hunt, since today was opening day of mule deer season, and there's a great population of them up there. our plan was to hunt the backcountry, where no motor vehicles are allowed. getting tired of the 4 wheelers on the river doing donuts in front of where i am hunting. public land. we got to our spot, a secluded canyon in between two accessible canyons with roads. the short way is a little over a 2 mile hike. from the canyons with roads, it sounds like world war 3. not 30 minutes after we sit down a heavy 8 point whitetail comes down one of the three main deer trails through the rows of salt cedars. my buddy took a shot and missed, and the deer disappeared into the cedars. i laid down with my rifle across my pack and waited, as there's a bluff right behind the deer, and clear ground in front. 5 minutes later, he came sneaking out perfect broadside, but a long ways off. i took my time and shot, and he did the stiff leg drop thing, then rolled over on his back. i watched him through the scope while his legs relaxed and remained still. after some celebrating i started down the hill. when i hit the bottom i looked up to see how far my buddy was behind and a herd of 15 or so mulies blew out of the cover to my left and ran up the hill. when they slowed down 150 yards away, i picked out a fat spike to shoot. he didn't give me much of a target though. for those that don't know, spooked mulies will often stare away from you when they stop, unlike whitetails. all i saw was his head, so i shot him in the ear. we then proceeded through multiple salt cedar thickets, getting cut hands and whips in the face. i get to where the first buck was and he's gone. no blood, no nothing. i found his tracks and where he was laying, but no deer. i know for a fact there were no other people in the canyon, and there were no other animal tracks. i made bigger and bigger circles for an hour around where he was down, and nothing. the weather was getting warm so we had to go. this has never happened to me before. climbed up to the mulie and field dressed and tagged him. since he was shot in the head, the 'handles' were out of commission, and this dude had several thorns and cactus spines in his legs. mulies are notorious for this. i ended up having to carry him the 2 miles back to the vehicle. so even though his rack wasn't big, the journey out will always be memorable! i am a meat hunter anyway, and no meat damage done here. got 1 3/4 70 qt coolers full of meat right now, to process tomorrow night. do you see those 3 trails down in the valley behind me? they get traveled a lot! i love hunting this canyon. going out again at 4 in the morning to try some more. thanks for reading.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  2. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Still a nice spike, do ya suppose ya coulda went to the wrong spot for the other deer, and found tracks of a different deer?

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i suspected that, but i counted the cedar rows before going down, and he was laying by a big red bush when he fell. when i got about 100 yards out looking for him, i lined up with the rocks i was sitting in, and confirmed that this was the bush i was looking at. might have to open up this pic, but you can see the red bush above center and left, against the far bluff where it curves to the right. the light spot to the right of the bush is the deer down on his back. i have had deer crawl off and hide or crawl off and die after a hit in heavy cover, but there was always massive amounts of blood. on this one there weren't even tracks leading away from the slick spot in the sand. just right of the slick spot you could see where his hooves dished out to the right as he fell. that's what has me so messed up about it. i doubt this, but if a bullet hit an antler could it knock a deer stupid for a few minutes? i watched him for 3 minutes through the scope and didn't even see a twitch after he relaxed. the ears were laying down and everything. i didn't shoot through any cover, the deer was totally clear. couldn't see if the toungue was out or not. i don't know.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Congrats on the spike, Jordan to answer the question,YES you can knock one out by hitting an antler. I lost the biggest mulie I ever shot by clipping his antler just below his brow tine. I thought he was mine,unloaded my gun and headed to fetch him. Looked up to watch him dissapear over the next sandhill.Oh I did get "half" of a rack.:wink:

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Congrats on a spike.

6. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Meat in the pot! Congrats.