Confused ?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by koakley1, Sep 27, 2007.

1. koakley1

koakley1 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    About three weeks ago fishing was dead so i thought I would buy a jar of dip bait and give it a try. It wasn't long before the bait clicker started singing, but no hook set. Every five or six minutes two or more poles had bites but no fish. I tried loose line, tight line, slip sinkers, no sinkers, and suspended with a bobber. I tried leaving the pole alone for quite awhile and trying to set the hook at any movement ,still nothing.
    The worms that came with dip bait are 1 1/2" long X 1/2" od, ribbed with holes, and treble hooks. I thougt the hook might be to small so I tied on a bigger one and then smaller. I even ran another hook though the other end and pulled the lines out of the middle of the worm. NO LUCK !! Iv'e tried two other days with the same results. What am I doing wrong ?
    :eek:oooh:

2. grillking

grillking New Member

State:
    omaha, nebraska
    welcome to the BOC kevin. youll love this site. I sometimes use the same style hook with the worm on it as you described. I only use dip bait when nothing else seems to be working. half the time it doesnt work either. I dont know why your not getting the hooksets. I just usually let the fish hook itself. I leave my rods in homeade holders that are almost straight up and down. the fish normally just pick up the bait and go. when the rod bends over, i grap it out of the holder and give her a little yank back. havent missed many fish this year, thank god. good luck to you
    :0a23:

3. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Welcome to the BOC. from Arkansas.

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I hate to say this but it almost sounds like turtles biting. Only a thought.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kevin Welcome to the BOC.Take the time and check out the BOC library. Lots of info to be found. A slip sinker rig should work good with the dip bait. Down the road you might want to check out one of our sponsors."Looper Rigs" This rig holds dip bait on a lot longer and gives you more time to set the hook.There are also times the fish just pick at baits and never really take it. Just a part of fishing. Good Luck.:smile2:

6. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Sounds like lil ones to me.
    its that time of the year.

7. koakley1

koakley1 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks to all of you for the advice. Tried the dip bait again last night but it didnt get touched, not one bite. but we went through 3 dozen worms and caught 42 very small chanels all 4 to 10 inches long, it was fun. My daghter and I had a blast! I wished it was allways like that. Thanks again

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I was going to say the same thing,ive had that happen with small turtles.Really not much you can do about that im affraid but change bait or locations.