Confused

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by dwreel, Aug 23, 2006.

1. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    If my new rod says," 5/6 line weight". Thats OK, but, what about the leader and tippet?? These are in like 2X, 4X, 8X etc. Don't understand what these XX mean. Is there a chart somewhere that converts it to pounds/oz.? Also, what XX works with 5/6 ;line weight. I'm totally confused. I've read examples of which to use etc, but i'd like to have a choice for the different fishing i'll be doing.

I've fly fished before, but now that I want to get back to it, so many things have changed. Thanks for any help. I Really need it.

2. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dick,

Pretty soon a real fly fisherman will come along and straighten us out, but for now here is what I remember.

The 5/6 is the weight of the fly line. Bigger numbers are heavier line for heavier fish, and you would use bigger hooks and SMALLER X leaders/tippetts. You pick the leader/tippet size by the fly you are casting. You can apply the "4 rule" or "3 rule" or some other method that works for you.

The 4-Rule works this way. Let’s say the fly you’ve selected is a #12. To apply the 4-Rule to tippet selection, divide 12 (the size of the fly hook) by 4. The product, 3, suggests the right tippet to use is 3X. It’s the same thing as saying, "tie a #12 dry fly to a 3X tippet."

The 3 rule is the same as the 4 rule, but you divide by 3 instead of 4.

As for a chart, it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer how they rate them, but they are within a lb or two of these values typically:

SCIENTIFIC ANGLERS FRESHWATER KNOTLESS TAPERED LEADERS

Item No. - Size Butt Tippet Lb. Test
    SA19000 OX .022 .011 10
    SA19001 1X .022 .010 9
    SA19002 2X .022 .009 8
    SA19003 3X .022 .008 7
    SA19004 4X .022 .007 5
    SA19005 5X .022 .006 4
    SA19006 6X .022 .005 2.8

HAve fun, and let us know if you catch a nice fish!

Dave

3. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the chart and info Dave, I was wondering this myself.

4. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Thank you,Dave. I like the 3-rule/4-rule. That makes leader choice a whole lot simpler. I hadn't thought hook size would determine leader/tippet size, but it makes sense. Reps to you for the help. :0a31:

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Dick it will make a lot of sense if you try and tie a size 22 fly to a 1X tippet.:big_smile: :lol: :smile2: :eek:oooh: Often in the west on some rivers at low water we would use 8X tippets with 22-24 size flies or nymphs.Even harder to believe is we would catch 3-5 lb trout on those tippets and flies but a 9-10 ft flyrod is a heck of a shock absorber.I would say this to all over 40 would be fly fishermen.Get some good GLASSES.:big_smile: :lol: :smile2: :confused2:8X Daiichi tippet material was 1.2lb test if I remember correctly.

6. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Thanks, Jim. I do have good glasses, by the way. I have a spool of 5X 4# tippet and I thought that stuff was small. Can't imagine 1X.

Question: I know that most knots reduce the line/leader/tippet strenght. With such a small tippet, what knots would you reccomend?

7. wooleybugger

wooleybugger New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It depends ont the water and species if your fishing for trout in Gin clear water then you need to go to a smaller tippet like 7 or 8x for blue gill or bass you can use 4lb monofilament also in clear water flourocarbon is the ticket I love orvis mirage

8. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    Ahem hem** remember that tippet (3x, 4x etc. ) varies according to brand and material. 99% of the tippet packages say what lb test it is on the bottom in tiny letters. For example ** Orvis flouro tippets do not have the same lb test that orvis super strong does, because orvis super strong is monofilament. Less visibilty with flouro and more abrasion resistant, but typically slightly less lb test. I prefer Flouro knotless tapered leader ( in tapered leader the lb rating usually counts for the tip (thinnest) part of your tippet) Its not complicated it just looks it at first glance...

9. Urban Fly Fisher

Urban Fly Fisher New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ideally, the best knot for your tippet to fly connection is the Palomar. With such light line and various flies, it can be more difficult to tie. I generally use the Palomar and Orvis knots, but you can get by with a general Improved Clinch, even with a 6XX or 8XX tippet.

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I have come to use the UNI for everything particularly joining two lines like leader and tippet.Once upon a time kleaders were made by tying progressively smaller in dia and lb test, lines together.Can you Imagine?:crazy: I alway bought 9ft tapered leaders.Then I removed the last 1-1/2 ft and tied on my tippet material.AEON,DAIICHI,and ORVIS were the tippet materials of choice back then.Today I would use a flouro leader with tippet material.Flouro tends to a little stiffer but I always liked a softer mono tippet ,particularly in the smaller lb tests and with tiny flies.:big_smile:

11. Urban Fly Fisher

Urban Fly Fisher New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The UNI system for connecting small diameter lines together seems like a lot of work, man. :smile2: Even my young eyes would strain a bit. I'd much rather tie a triple surgeons or even do a loop to loop connection.

There are still guys who tie their own progressive leaders, but they'll never constitute a majority....not when it's easier to buy smooth, commerical leaders and then replace tippet as needed.