confused

Discussion in 'LOCAL ALABAMA TALK' started by southpaw, Aug 3, 2006.

1. southpaw

southpaw New Member

State:
    alabama
    i have done alot of reading up on these giant cats.i caught a 31# in 9 ft. of water a 35# in 20 ft of water and my most recent a 20#in 11 ft of water. everyting i read on blus is fish deep.flats shallow in cover and i havent caught a channel yet.the only flat i caught was a 10# in 20 ft. of water.the thing i want to know is was this all an accident?am i fishing for them wrong?another thing i would like to know is if anyone of you go to a new area what is the first thing you look for? i am a firm bieliver in the big bait big fish theory.do the bigger giants like real deep water? i watch to many tv shows.lol if you can give a littli advice on this subject please do.:eek:oooh:

2. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    Doesn't sound like you're doin' anything wrong to me.

3. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    those are some good questions... although i'm not a pro catfisherman yet, i do have to say that all water is different... fish move to different parts of the water, it all depends on the water temp, food source, cover, people on the water, time of year, time of day/night, water current, moon phase (so i've heard, it seems to affect all animals), and fishing pressure... there prolly are more things that i may have left out... what i look for at new water is, food source population... more food = more and bigger fish, type of food source... this is what you should use as bait, location of food source... the fish know where dinner is and so should you, local cover near food source... bigger fish like to grab dinner and run, and fishing pressure... the fish seem to know when they are being fished for... try looking for these things, if you can find a good food source near some cover, then drop your bait between the food source and the cover... it makes it an eaiser target... use line and terminal tackle that is really hard for the fish to see... even though catfish use smell the most for feeding, they still have eyes, and i'm sure that if they see a big shiney hook in the back of a shad they will leave that one alone... a big thing to do is make your bait injured if you are using live bait... fish will eat the injured fish before a healty fish... its their way of keeping their home clean and not littered with dead fish... the easiest way to do this is to cut the tail off, or cut the fins off, or just make a cut in the fishes back or tail section... after all this, if you still don't catch some fish... try a different spot... lol... a spot can look perfect, but still may not hold fish because of fishing pressure... catfish can be very illusive at times, you just have to be a little patient and your time to catch a monster will come.

4. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    I think Kenneth pretty much nailed it. Different times the cats are in different places depending on many factors. Sounds like you've had success doing it like your doing it. Keep at it.

Scott

5. southpaw

southpaw New Member

State:
    alabama
    thanks for the info. i will use the advice you gave me.i am determined to catch a bigger fish than 35 lbs.in fact i heard of a 96 pounder caught on this river system.i know that they are there.to me catfishing is like deer hunting.scouting plays a big roll in this.plus bieng in the right place at the right time.

6. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i never thought of it like deer hunting, but really its just like deer hunting... lol... yes... scouting is important... and being in the right place at the right time, that will come with time... good luck on the monster