Confused Member

Discussion in 'Mac Byrum's Catfish University' started by Mac-b, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    One of the newbees on the board says he is confused about what size bait to use. Says that he has heard that the big baits get the big fish and the little baits get the small fish.

First of all, it depends on where you are fishing, lake or river. I will direct my advice to lakes and those that fish the rivers can add their advice if they care too. In the spring when the cats are on their spring feed I like to use big baits, summer time I offer them big and little baits, early fall I try to stay with small baits and winter time I offer them marinated baits, both small and medium size.

The best thing to do, whether drifting or anchorded down is to offer the cats different baits of different sizes and see for yourself which one is producing for you. Fishing based on someones else advice is okay, but doing it yourself and seeing the results will stay with you longer and most likely make you a better fisherperson. We are all guilty of trying to find the quickest way to produce, but time has shown that if you will take what you have been told by others and massage this data to fit your own style of fishing it will be more beneficial to you in the long run.

Take you a note pad out with you when you go fishing and write down what is working and what is not working for you. Take note of the time of day, date, water temp., baits used, including the size of the bait, trolling speed, location, etc. You might say I don't have time to do all this while fishing, but believe me, you will have ample time to do all this, because the fish don't bite all the time. In time you will build yourself a log book that you can look at each year for information and that will put you ahead of a lot of people out on the water fishing.

Newbee, I know you only wanted to know about baits, but I felt like this other information would help you out in the future. Mac

2. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    The best thing to do, whether drifting or anchored down is to offer the cats different baits of different sizes and see for yourself which one is producing for you. Fishing based on someones else advice is okay, but doing it yourself and seeing the results will stay with you longer and most likely make you a better fisher person.

That is good advice. It will also give you the confidence to try new things when the usual just won't work. The Mountain Island tournament this weekend was a good example of how a different presentation made a difference in the outcome of a fishing tournament. I would add to observe your surroundings. Are there herons lined up around the banks. Are the schools of bait tight and thick or scattered/thick. Do you observe feeding fish. What size bait is it on your graph (assuming you catch your own). Set up your drifts or anchor sets to put yourself in those areas where the bait is. That is where the fish are!!:wink: