Confluence fishing trip report

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by TN Greg, Jan 5, 2008.

1. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    I finally got out today and put in a columbia bottoms. I managed a dozen asian carp and a few goldeyes in the cast net..........real deep. I had to put an extension on the rope. I also managed to net a 15lb paddlefish that was quickly discarded (an odd creature) and a 1 lb blue cat. No shad.

Being that this was my first time fishing for the blues in the winter, I tried to take the advice from the board (I think) and fish the deepest holes with little current. Unfortunately, everything I fished this summer had a ton of current, so I was surprised how hard this was to find on this section of the Mississippi river. The deep holes behind the dikes were absolutely loaded with carp I suppose, as the screen was completely filled with bananas throughout the water column....including on the bottom. This made it virtually impossible for me to try to scope the kitty's. We did fish three spots on the Mississippi with no takers. Dodging the ice was tricky. The water temp was 33 degrees.

From there, I went up the Missouri. I had never fished it really and was surprised as to how shallow it was. We found a few spots that were 30 feet deep behind the dikes, but had a lot of trouble with the ice. All in all, we didn't catch squat. So how deep is deep on the Missouri river? Was I doing anything right -- fishing the calm water in the deepest holes?? Any commentary would be appreciated. I now have to go repair my neighbors mailbox that a bowled over this morning.......backed the stinkin' boat right over it. Uggghhhh..

2. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Greg,
    We just come home after fishing till till 2:00 pm not one bite, not one bate gone. We could not get shad in our usual spot to much ice. Lots of small dead shad all over the ice. Water temp was 32-33 Deg. Wind was out of the south. We used cut frozen skip jack, frozen shad soaked in pickling salts, hot dogs, other homemade baits, nothing would work today for us. The moon looked good but maybe they are feeding at night , or filled up on dead shad, or they didn't see the forecast. Hang in there we will getum next time. Keep you hooks sharp.

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    If the Missouri down your way is similar to the river here, 30 feet is a good hole and 40 is real deep.

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Thats not true. I see 45 foot holes when its in flood stage. :eek:oooh:

5. Chris Cordia

Chris Cordia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was out with a buddy and two 8 year old kids. And the kids didnt even get a fish. It was just a bad weekend. But it sounds like your doing the right things.

6. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i got a couple here in nebraska that are 47 feet during normal stage.

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Wow what a difference a few short miles of river makes. Ryan, Gary and I fished 3 days ago and overall had a pretty good day. We caught 80 pounds worth. Our water temp was between 37 and 39 and NO ice. We found fish rather quickly and they were holding in no current areas about 25 feet deep. Depending on what type of electronices your using, you can tell the difference between the asians and catfish. On my Lowrance its pretty easy to tell them apart. The asians come back as dense packs of fish, yellow in color, and short squaty returns. The catfish come back as more elongated returns and are mostly red in color. Has something to do with the their body structures I suppose. The catfish seemed to be in schools of 100 fish or so. I sure didnt paint any fish in fast current areas unless there was something restricting the water flow some. Keep at em guys, you'll find em soon. Spring is just around the corner.

8. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    i am goingt to have to spend some money on a new fish finder for sure because i cant tell the differents between nothing i just look for fish on the bottom and i know catfish dont alway hold on the bottom?

9. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I didnt show any kind of fish up by the dam yesterday. But the gulls were all over the place. So I should have been showing shad or whatever kind of fish they were eating. I got to invest in a better locater. My fishmark 320 just dont get much confidence from me

sure wish I knew where a good used Lowrance was for a cheap price

10. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    There's a reason you've got that screen name:big_smile:

11. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    there are lots of 30 foot holes on the Missouri. And I know a few that are even deeper. Now if I can find out how to fish them this year.

12. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    The deepest I've found in the stretches I fish when the river's at "normal" levels is around 42'. Around 30' for us over here is pretty common at the scour holes around the dykes. Channel is like anywhere else, I've seen good outside bends pushing 30' and after Jamison's seminar at the sports show I may start working them more. Key word there is "working", though, I'm pretty lazy.:smile2:

13. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    So did you learn something about outside bends branden? They are hard to find the right place on outside bends sometimes ,rember what you learned and we will try it this year.

14. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I had always heard outside bends were great spots to fish also. OF course, I was always a little skeptical also. It took a trip on the River with Harold Dodd to prove my sorry butt wrong. :roll_eyes: He set up on an area where the current was going so fast I could have jumped out with the tag line of the anchor rope and water skied. 10 minutes later he had a 32 pound fish floppin in the floor board of the boat. Humbled once again. lol.