Confluence 8/3/07

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Kutter, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Michael_Jake was kind enough to take me out to the Missouri River (Columbia Bottoms) for a night trip. Thanks Mike, you showed me a great time.

Folks, I'm here to tell those who don't know Mike, we have a hidden jewel here on the BOC. He's been around awhile, and I've read most if not all his posts. I sure had no idea that was as gifted and knowledgeable as he is. This guy KNOWS catfishing. He is the real thing! It isn't so much what he says, it's what he doesn't say that speaks the loudest. As he goes through the motions of setting up, it's obvious that he has tons of experience. He told me he always is looking for new ideas. I just wish I knew even a fraction of what he does.
    He's also got that SeaArk set up perfect. If I could think of anything about it that I would change, it would only be that throttle. Ya look at it, the boat jumps 5 ft. lol Embarrassed me when I tried to drive the boat. It doesn't have a "low" speed. LOL Any movement on the throttle sends everyone grabbing for something to hang on to. LOL Seriously, I'm hard to please when it comes to boats, and that was the only thing I would change. NOT BAD!.

If any of you want somebody who knows the Missouri River around the Confluence, like the back of his hand, Michael is your man.

Thanks again, Mike. I really enjoyed the trip and especially your company.

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Had the pleasure of meeting Mike at the mo. gathering this year Tom.
    What a great guy and really knows catfishing, could talk for hours with him about fishing. Hope to make it over your way one of these days and learn a fraction of his river knowledge.

3. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Enjoyed your company Tom, you’re a river man and appreciates as I do what the river has to offer. With storms all around and just a few drops of rain, the river was the place to be. Next time we’ll have to hit below the dam then as the water drops it should concentrate em behind the wing dikes. Thanks for all the kind words, had a great time and look forward to more time on the river.

4. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I should of known that Kutter was on the river last night.....IT POURED! :tounge_out:

I know what you mean Tom about Mike being a nice guy I had the pleasure of meeting him when me and Chris went fishing. He had his little buddy with him and wasn't fishing that day, but took the time to come out just to day hello and give us a few pointers about fishing that area. (Like a couple of knuckle heads we didn't listen and did our own thing....no wonder we only caught 2 cats all night.) I could tell the short time I had to talk to him that he had some knowledge of the river in that area.

So, how did you guys do? I was gonna head up to L/D 25 this morning but never got around to it and then decided it was way to hot to be out there today. Maybe if we can get up early in the morning we'll hit the water.

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    See, I told you those big black clouds follow him around. You can bank on it. Come to think of it, my yard needs water real, real bad. Yo Kutter, I have a nice catfish hole in my front yard. Wanna come over?:smile2:

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Sure, but it'll cost ya big time. Hey, I can be bought, but I aint cheap!:0a10:

7. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Need to get you two up here for some confluance fishing… went below Alton dam this morning. After catching bait and cruising the area, found them in deep water at bottom of dropoff. Anchored just back before the dropoff at around 6:00am … the next hour was non stop action… had a blast … Just got third pole out and the bite was on and steady, they were all 3 to 5 lbs. Bite was good but they were wimpy on the hitting with several taken on a stinger after missing a few hits. Shad fillets was the bait they wanted. Nice out this morning, when temperature started rising the bite shut down. Left just before noon, hot out, even the asian invaders dropped down to mid depth range. Hey Tom, ready for an early morning fishing trip. Next week I have some days open… I ramped from Columbia Bottoms, the Missouri is finally dropping… oh by the way for those who ramp below Alton, I’d be look’n for plan B for access… shades of last summer… it was nice being the only one out there this morning.

8. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    The ramp below Alton was barely usable last Friday. Guess you are also saying that it has bottomed out.

Can you still launch are has the bottom dropped out the rest of the way?

Plan B might be to launch above and lock through but it seems there has been a lot of barge traffic lately, that might make for a long wait. ONly other option I know of is Columbia Bottoms, that makes for a LONG ride to my 'spots'.

Maybe I need some new spots.:smile2:

Please PM your 'spots' to darryl1.:roll_eyes:

9. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I know what you mean about the ramp being about dry. When I loaded to boat last Friday night I think that hole of water was only about a foot deep. About how far is it from Columbia Bottoms to Alton Dam? I've never been that far up the Missouri.

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    No worries Darryl, the barge traffic you are seeing is using the 1200 foot lock chamber. Melvin Price has a 600 foot auxillary chamber which usually isnt too busy. I've used it several times and usually dont have a problem. I'll call the lockmaster on VHF and ask how things are looking before I want to go, and they will give me a good time to shoot for and even have the lock doors open. Now thats service. :wink:

11. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Forgot about the auxiliary lock at Alton.

Cool! Lets go fishin':smile2:

12. hovis223

hovis223 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have known Mike for a while and although I have never fished with him we have spent many hours talking about fishing. There are very few people out there that have anywhere near the knowlede as him. There are also not many people that I would rather talk to than him.

13. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Do they charge you for passage through the Lock?
    Being the Redneck I am that may be a stupid Question but I was born and raised on the Mo. river nearly 300 miles from the confluence with the old Miss. and we ain't got no Lock Chambers up here. LOL
    :smile2:

14. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Lock passage is FREE of charge. I emphasize free, as I'm sure we are all paying for it with some of our tax dollars. In any event, you may contact them on the appropriate VHF frequency for passage. If you do not have VHF radio, you can use the pull rope located at the end of the lock chamber. This will sound a horn. Wait for the lock doors to open, the lights to go green, and the lockmaster will usually sound one horn blast indicating its safe to enter the chamber. Pull in, and moor yourself to one of the floating tie offs.

Notes: Some locks dont require you to tie off while in the lock. You can just float around in circles if you like.

Also, some lockmasters will give you an alternating green and yellow light to indicate to you to proceed into the lock. In any event, its a pretty safe bet to wait on the loud horn blast to lock in. Its usually only a 15 minute affair to lock up or down. Alot depends on how many feet between elevation changes between the two pool levels. Also, whether your in an auxillary or main lock channel. If my feeble memory serves me, Alton is usually a pretty quick affair.

Good Luck and Happy Lockings.

15. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Man, that sound like a blast. However, (aint there always an "however"?) when I got back to work sunday, I found out it may be Oct before I get another day off, at least September. My fishin may just be over for the year. We all know how those blizzards show up in the fall. lol

16. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Dang Kutter, you cant work that much my man. Thats craziness. You tell your boss that he WILL let you have a couple fishing days, or Cuz will send his boyz over to have a chat.

As for the weather, its no secret Kutter goes and hibernates for the winter when the temp falls below 80. We know how you operate Kutter. You grace all of us with your Nasty Thunderstorm Producing Presence, then slide off into the cave for awhile until the next thunderstorm season. Were on to ya bud. :wink:

17. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Sounds like Cuz must fish with this Mr. Michael character. Met him last year, and can say hes a super nice feller.

That being said, I'm kind of NEW to this catfishing thing, :embarassed:and was wondering if Mike would take me out. You know, kind of show me the ropes, and maybe even a honey hole or 2, or 3, or 4 or 5. :embarassed: What say you Mr Mike. You can show me a spot or two cant ya ol buddy? I wont be greedy, how bout a super nice hole, say, between Clarkesville and Saverton Dams? :big_smile::big_smile::big_smile::big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

18. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    And your point is?????

RUN MIKE, RUN!!!!!

19. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Hey Cuz, if Mike doesn't come through I can help you out. I know a few holes up there you should try out. Real Good, deep ones. Your concrete shoes will be in next week, then we'll go fishin'.:big_smile: