Confiscated Fishing Equipment

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by River Outlaw, Apr 16, 2008.

1. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    would anyone happen to know what happens to confiscated fishing equipment seized by KDWP from poachers ??

I think there should it should be put up for sale or an auction for only those that can show a valid fishing licence. then the money should only be used for fishing related purposes by KDWP. :0a36:

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Sounds reasonable to me...W

3. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    im sure thats what they do have a auction of some kind

4. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    yeah i can here the "auctioneers" now.

"hey bill, i'll trade you 2 weeks of working night hunters with the dummy deer for that new fishin reel ya confescated."

"naw, i allready traded it to joe for that old john boat he got off of those gill netters last year."

"what if i throw in this bucket of goldfish i got this morning?"

" i dunno... maybe if you could come off of some undersized crappie filets for me and the miss."

"deal!"

jk. actually i think the auction would be a great idea. im gonna stop in my local gw office this afternoon and ask about it. no tellin' what kinda deals you could find. not to mention it would help out the local fisheries.

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yea you can get it back after you show that you paid your fine, they hold on to your stuff for a while then its gone. atleast thats thats what happens when they see a spotlight shine across a field :embarassed: (wasent me). i thought they said they destroyed the guns but i dont remember its probally been 10 years. id think theyd have an auction but not sure might be something to check out:wink:

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    and im pretty sure this would be were some stuff goes lol.:tounge_out:

7. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I think those guys end up w/some pretty nice gear of their own!!:wink:

8. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Here in our county they have a sherifs auction every year for confiscated boats, cars, trucks, guns, hunting and fishing equiptment, ect. Stuff is brought in by the city, county, DNR, and the local state police post for bid.

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

Great idea. But we all have a better chance of gettin pregnant. LOL!

10. Rdnckwmn1983

Rdnckwmn1983 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    JJ that is a mighty fine idear ya got there...........did you come up with that on ur own????:confused2::smile2:

11. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    yes indeed i did, all by my lonesome

y'all get anything the other day ?? we didnt get nothin that afternoon or when we went back out that evening. :sad2:

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I think you'll find that people that invest in high quality tackle generally play by the rules.

If you fish long enough and watch what goes on and look who gets the tickets you'll see.
    Had a game warden walking the bank of the river checking license of bank fishermen. Saw him write a few tickets to those folks that fish with rods that have 3 inches of the tip missing and duct tape on the reelseat. Any old thing that will hold some line.

By the time he got to us and recognized 1500 dollars worth of rod and reels in rod holders he told me, "This is just a formality, I know it'll be unnecessary but can I look at yall's licenses?"

Back when I owned boat #37 off the 86 classic (Paul Elias's ride) I would have game wardens pull up and start checking boats all around me, as they cruised up to me slowly it was common for a warden to ask if they were biting. "Yea catching a few here and there, caught a nice one about 9 this morning" and they would cruise on by never checking me.
    On the other hand had them pull up and check my registration and life jackets, not even ask for my fishing license and I had to ask them if they wanted to board and look in the livewells. "Naw that'll be OK".

When I quit tournament fishing and downsized to an economical bass boat I got checked all the time by some of the wardens that used to pass me up when I had the Cadillac ride.

They know they aint going to write many tickets to folks with high priced equipment. They aren't going to kill alot of time trying to.
    It's pretty much a given that the guy with the nice equipment isnt going to skimp on the requirements,

Just like spotlighters. The diehard spotlighters aren't going to drive 35k worth of truck to shine a light and shoot a deer. They'll have a beater just to spotlight on. They wont use their 1500 dollar custom rifle either. If they get caught they aint lost much.
    Not saying there aren't some real stupid ones out there.

The best place to look for good stuff is the flea markets and pawn shops.
    both can be over priced but once in a while if you play a good game you can get some good stuff at a real good price. About like Ebay. If you know what you are looking at and its TRUE value you can run across some deals.

My best pawn shop deal was a Pinnacle baitcaster on an IM8 rod. It was in the rack with a bird nest from hell and a 90 dollar price tag.
    I picked it up spent a few minutes with it and moved on to other things.
    15 minutes later I went back to it picked it up and and shopped some more carrying it with me like I was going to buy it. I went and put it back and started out the door.
    The owner stopped me and and told me to make an offer.
    I told him I just wasnt willing to put much in that outfit because I had no way of knowing if the reel was worth a flip the way it was all locked up tighter then a drum. He said 30 bucks, is that fair?
    I took it. It was an 85 dollar rod without a scratch on it. The reel works like a dream. I played him like a fine tuned fiddle. I knew the true value, he didn't.
    Another unrelated buy I got out of pawnshop was a Mucci pool cue.
    It was in a barrel of pool cues and didnt have a price.
    I asked the gal working the counter how much. She said whats the prices on the other ones? 12-40 bucks. I'll take 25 dollars. I sold it a few days later for a 100. I knew its value. She didnt.

I've recently put together a new bass arsenal off of Ebay buying new and slightly used Quantum 1310mg's some that are 15 years old. Even bought a new 1310MGC. I've put together a seven reel arsenal of fine reels for under 75 dollars off Ebay. For 300 dollars I've got 7 fine reels on 7 IM7 rods. They'll give me many years of service. Those reels are darn near bullet proof. Thats why I buy them.

Picked up two factory reconditioned ABU 5500's not long ago at a local tackle shop for 30 a piece. Seen them go for 15 a piece on Ebay.

Pound the pavement for good deals on nice tackle.

13. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    That's a good idea J.J.. Did I just say that?? Time for a med check!

14. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Great Idea, I'm planning on doiing some research on this and see what i can find out!

15. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I know there is a great deal of stuff stashed somewhere. I have no idea what actually happens to it. That is a very interesting question that requires some investigation.

16. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    watch out big george that guy(use the term loosely-no pun intended):smile2: is out there already!!!!!

17. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    KDWP auctions off the confiscated items when they have their surplus auctions. Last time was October 2006. They will list the auction notice with the news on the KDWP website when one is going to be coming up.

18. TNYHWK1

TNYHWK1 Member

State:
    ROCKFORD ILLINOIS
    My two sense is. You are right on the mark with that statement. In general the people with "Nice Stuff" will play by the rules. Also if you look around at all the fishing trash Ex. worm cups, lure packaging, and a pile of beer cans. Those same duct tape and bubblegum people are the ones that trash out our fishing holes!!! No Respect for us or the water. Hey that bag you got from the China outlet when you picked up your new tackle. USE IT!
    OK I am done ranting now.

19. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.