Confirmation from State Game Warden

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by TDawgNOk, Apr 20, 2006.

1. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I just spoke with Carlos Gomez, the State Game Warden from Jenks who confirmed that "Any game fish that is legally caught in the state of Oklahoma may be used for what ever means you determine, wether it be consumption, bait, trophy, or fertilizer"

He went on to specify that a legally caught game fish is one that is within the bag limit, and size limit for that spiecies. He also stated that if using a cast net or a siene net, that any NON-game spiecies that is caught by this method may ONLY be used as bait, and NOT consumed.

I wanted to get confirmation of this due to the fact that numerous states are not allowed to use game fish as bait.

What does this mean???

In a word, it means that those of you who like to say that Bass are bait, can come to Oklahoma and actually USE Bass as bait!!!!

:big_smile_2: :haha: :byebye: :feel_good: :still_dreaming: :boss: :tounge_out: :big_smile:

2. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    That is true and I use gamefish quite often for flatheads. Sandbass, Crappie and small 6 to 8 inch channels make great flathead bait. Just make sure of local lake regs. There are statewide regs for all gamefish but in your reg book it lists certain lake restrictions. There are some lakes that have a slot limit on bass or a mininum lenght on crappie for example. Other lakes have lower limits that statewide limits. Also if you had 15 small channel cats for bait and had two or three blues in the livewell that you caught you would be technically over your limit.

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Of course, he didn't say a whole heck of a lot about catfish, he did mention that you can buy trout for bait down around the lower illinois

4. dobbie

dobbie Member

That is good to here.We will use some on our trip on the Verdigris River this weekend.I know Grand has a 10" limit on crappie.I think most of the lakes in this part of state have a 14" limit.Also we have had good luck on blues with cut sandbass.

5. dobbie

dobbie Member

That was 14" on Black Bass.