Confessions by D.Anderson,& bro_catfish

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by bro_catfish, Apr 1, 2006.

1. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    I have a confession to make, one that may endanger future opportunities to Fish with some of you I am a lousy catfisherman. The largest catfish I ever caught weighed a pitaful amount. On only one occasion have I caught more than 15 catfish in a day and a few of them were shorter than my fillet knife.

Those who fish with me are well aware of my appalling record. My catfishing mentor, my father, was astonished the first time a frind ouf mine told him that Im a regular poster at the BOC. "They let you write about catching catfish?" he asked. "That's like letting a nun write a sexual advice column."

My response was that I chat with some of the best catfish anglers in the nation, and it is their expertise and experiences that I hope to catch more. "That's for sure, "snorted my father. "Otherwise you wouldn't have anything to post about."

He's right. For a long time I've felt guilty about my pitiful catfishing abilities. It's certainly not for the lack of time or financial investment. I have a rack filled with rods and reels designed specifically for catfishing. I keep two pounds of chicken livers in my freezer year-round, two dozen nightcrawlers in the refrigerator any time the rivers aren't frozen and half a dozen varieties of dip and stink baits in the garage.

I understand catfishing theories and strategies. I've studeied the work of other member in this great forum. I've talked with dozens of catfish-catching wizards. I know to move every 20 minutes or so. I know to fish holes in the day, flats and riffles at night. I know to change baits with the seasons, when to use a float, when to use a sinker and fifteen different ways to rig each.

On paper, I'm a catifishing expert. In the real world, I'd starve to death if I had to live on what I catch. Fortunately, in the real world, I can buy hamburger to stay alive and go fishing purely for enjoyment.

I'm easy to please when it comes to catfishing. I don't have to catch big catfish to enjoy myself, and I don't have to catch lots of catfish to enjoy myself. Heck, sometimes I don't catch any catfish at all, but I still have a good time. The thing I enjoy most about catfishing is the places it takes me and the attitude it allows me.

I enjoy being around moving water, not the crashing tumultuous water of white water rapids, but the slow, lazy chuckle and gurgle of a flatland river. I enjoy the smells along a riverbank on a humid summer evening. Some are sweet, some are musty, some are indescribable. I breathe them all deeply as they drift past on the faint breeze that always moves up and down a river channel just before sunset.

I enjoy that I don't have to work at catfishing unless I want to. Bass anglers and walleye anglers have to constantly cast and jig and rerig and move their boats and scan their sonar. That's all good and fun when I'm in the mood, but sometimes I like to just sit and fish. .

Sometimes I don't look at anything. I just stare, hypnotized, at the gentle eddies and patterns of the current and think about things I don't have time or take to time to think about except when I'm catfishing. Eventually, almost always, I see the belly go out of my line and feel the familiar tap, tap, tapping of a pansize channel cat toying with my bait. Sometimes it's a larger (for me) 10 or 12 pounder that grabs and goes, forcing me to retrieve my thoughts and scramble to attend to the business at hand. Big or small, I don't care. I've never landed a catfish that didn't bring at lesast a small grin to my face.

Sure, I'd like to catch a 40 or 50 pound flathead, or a 15 or 20 pound channel cat. I'm always scheming and hoping, and maybe someday it will happen. I keep studying these pages and quizzing the experts, hoping to learn that extra secret to help me catch more and bigger cats. In the meantime, I have a good time catching my frying-pan cats. As my wife noted after she shared with me a summer evening on a river bank: "You may not be good at catching lots of big catfish," she said, "but you sure know how to enjoy catching little ones."

At least I'm an expert at something

Dan Anderson,& bro_catfish

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you'll get there man, just be patient. if you ever get over my way p.m. me before hand and i'll turn you onto some halfway decent cats.

3. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    You Will someday catch A monster and you will never forget just kept trying and you shall suceed

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    You need to come down to the shopand we'll do some fishin over at the fork from the toon.

5. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    DJ, you have company my friend - my biggest was on a trotline. i too want to feel a 30+LBer on a rod and reel. i too have a great lineup of rods and reels specifically designed for just such an occurence.
    i guess my biggest on a rod and reel is mayb 10 or 12lbs:blink:

we'll get one of those dudes someday:thumbsup:

6. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Not to worry, DJ, you're far from alone. And remember, sometimes the quest to attain something can be just as fulfilling as attaining it!

7. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Sometimes the quest is MORE fulfilling. :rolleyes:

Eric

8. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Hey Bro,
    It took me many years to get that first big flattie.It took a ton of trial and error, not to mention the tons of time spent before I finally got the big one. I wish a site like this would have been around 15 years or so, because with all the great info on here, it woulda made things a lot easier. Look on the bright side though....many people who go out and fish catfish never even get the thrill of catching the little ones.....
    To me the size of the biggest fish you have caught doesnt matter, as there are many factors that can contribute to the size of fish caught.

You along with any other BOC member is always welcome to fish with me.....Whether your a pro at it, or its your first time out.
    Your 'Big One" will come in time, and after that first one, it seems to get easier to catch that next Biggen':)

9. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i couldnt agree more

10. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Good post bro, wish I could say I am the same way. LMAO :p

11. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    it's not about the size of the fish you catch it's about just being out there the size and amount of you catch are just bonuses

12. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Rep points coming for thoughtful post

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    bro, for the most part I suck as bad as you do;) I have been lucky enough to catch a few big flatheads in my life..But believe me it has taken alot of work and 100's of trips to catch the few big ones I have caught...You will succeed some day.

14. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Did ya ever think about becoming a writer? Great post and well said. Your description probably fulfilled most of us here.

Your day will come on the fish too.

15. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Your waite is nearly over DJ :D

16. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    HEy Dont feel bad your not the only one out there i catch very few cats and the biggest is around 20lbs when i see others catching 50 lbs cats i start dreaming about the day ill catch one. also enjoy getting out fishing and enjoying the veiw and having a closer talk to JESUS while am trying to catch that 50lb catfish. sometimes ill just go and fish for some bluegill and crappie. Just to get away.

17. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    No such thing as a lousy cat fisherman, some are just luckier than others,
    take a few tips from here then add your own twist to them. It will come to
    you and along with will be friends...they are harder to find than any catfish. Good luck...keep on keepin on ;)

18. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    hey thanks for the encourging words everyone ..glad to see Im not completly alone,