Conestoga Catfish

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Huskercat, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Huskercat

Huskercat New Member

State:
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Well, I decided to give Conestoga a try tonight. I didn't catch anything big, but at least I broke my dead streak :big_smile: Managed 6 all between 10-16 inches long. Like I said, not big, but the most I have caught at one time in a month or so. The two "biggest" came on shrimp and were the only hits I had on shrimp all night. The rest were on turkey liver and I would still be fishing right now if the little buggers wouldn't have stole all my bait. Anyway, It was an absolutely beautiful night to be out and I was the only one there. And John and Steve - don't completly count me out for the Blue on Sat. just yet...Looks like no airshow for me. My grandma is sick and my dad may have to stay back in GI to take care of her so I may show up there after all. If I can make it I'll call Steve and let him know, but I may head to GI, so we'll see. If not, I hope you guys hammer em!

2. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    only one there?? the heck?? you said you was gonna call i coulda been there LOL. but your right it was a BEAUTIFUL NIGHT!! aint seen a sun set with a pastel that pink in ages!

will be waitin for the call for the gathering

3. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    I never had much in that lake

4. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    note to self, Steve likes pink:crazy:

5. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    yea shades of it anyway... btw... thats an awful purty hat ya got on there buuuddy :wink::smile2:

6. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    sold my boat last night and bought a different one tonight

7. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas

lol were you talking about the black n white pic as his avatar?

8. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    no the last pic he had up with him wearing a pink hat.

9. catfish_hunter01

catfish_hunter01 New Member

State:
    nonya
    bump

10. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    Last night they were hittin good.. maybe out there again tonight...

11. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    they were hittin good last night for sure and if their hittin as good tonight as the gills were today conestogas gonna be one Heck of place to be tonight and thats where im headed hope to be there some where between 8-9 have the boat in and anchored with the rods set up no later then ten.

12. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    let us know how it goes, good luck, post pics!

13. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    thursday night 6 cats 3-7 lbs. friday night i was workin but joe and rob landed quite a few cats 3-5 lbs and one 20 lb channel.. and Matt got him a 60 lb flattie out of BO.. figures the big ones come on my nights at work.

ill post what pics i got sunday? well the cams in the truck and the other pics are on the phone and i gotta get them all on the pc to get them on here im lazy till it comes to fishin lol

14. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    any new fish reports? for the gathering.

15. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    aint been out there since last thursday night sorry.. every since the big one locked down on a head at bluestem ive been on the hunt for him.. not to worry ill be at conestoga saturday nite.

16. catfish_hunter01

State:
    nonya
    Time to pull the plug on that lake. REALLY

17. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    lol that the only way ya gonna find them? lower the surface area and corral them? LOL

nah i hear ya bro last night was the first time i fished it this year that we didnt pull atleast 5 fish into the boat. but everybody got something right? well everybody that stayed at the lake.

the ruling is the spawn is on and the cats have moved to shallow water.. that would explain why the channel edge was slow.. and the drop offs were as well.. see i did learn something yet again next time i go shallow water it is.

18. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    sounds like everyone had a good time at the gathering..

19. catfish_hunter01

State:
    nonya
    yep everyone that showed up. hehe

20. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Reasons why I believe the fishing was tough at Conestoga.

1. Daytime activity (jet skiiers and pleasure boaters, churning the water up.)
    2. Very warm water conditions ( 78-79deg. at 8:00pm)
    3. Shallow lake ( not much for a thermocline) causing the fish to go into lockjaw mode
    4. catfish spawn? maybe so considering the warm water.

maybe give the lake a few weeks and try again or possibly weekdays, when the activity is low, maybe the fishing may be better. not sure.