Conestoga Carp

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Huskercat, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Huskercat

Huskercat New Member

State:
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Well, I figured since I've been having a hell of a time catching any cats latley that I would try to give my light-medium action gear a workout and catch some carp. Went to Conestoga this morning and ended up catching 6 with the biggest right at 8lbs. and 27 inches, and the smallest around 3. The other four were between 4-7lbs. Man, I forgot how much fun those suckers are to catch - especially on light gear! I thought the 8lbr. was actually gonna spool me for a minute :big_smile: Anyone looking to catch some hard fighting fairly easy to catch fish should give it a try. Just pick a spot, chuck out about 4 or 5 cans of corn, fish around the baited area, and hold on - I almost lost a rod today! It was headin for the lake but I managed to grab it. Missed the fish though :angry: Oh well...still not a bad way to kill a few hours!

2. Petsche

Petsche New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Gotta love them carp! My son (4 years old) and I go there quite a bit. The NE side of the dam always produces some good carp. My biggest last year was 27". Caught on 8lb line and a light walleye setup. It was quite a fight.
    I used to chum with corn and fish corn but I have switched to chumming with the corn and fishing crawlers. Last year I caught a few cats fishing this way. Nothing huge but it seems to work.
    The next time I go carp fishing I am going to cut some up and freeze em. Someone here told me it is decent cut bait. We'll see.

3. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    NE side of the dam? aint that the spill way?

4. Petsche

Petsche New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    South side of dam is the spillway. North side is where you can park.

5. catfishjohn54

catfishjohn54 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I go to a local park and catch small carp, and sunfish. I slice them up and use them for cut bait. The bigger catfish tear it up! (turtles like it too.) When I was in England, I found carp are considered a game fish. They have great big tournaments and everything. Catch and release, of-course. Great trout and pike fishing there, too. They have whats called grass, and glass carp. The glass carp have no scales. Weird looking fish it is. Like a huge goldfish with shiny skin. Biologists there crossed a rainbow trout with a brown trout. They call it a Tiger Trout. I caught a few fly fishing. Imagine a trout on steroids! Doughball is a great bait for carp. Flour, cornmeal, and anything that stinks. Garlic, pancake syrup, cheese, velveeta cheese, anise oil, vanilla, or all of fit! lol. The smeelier a concoction, the better. Be careful to mix it all together in the wife's blender when she is not home.