Concrete Sinkers?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by dinkbuster1, Nov 7, 2008.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    anyone ever tried to make a mold and pour Concrete for sinkers? i know it would take a massive concrete sinker to equal the weight of a 3-4oz lead one, but i have been thinking about doing just that, making some similar in shape to "bank sinkers". i also think a "ball shaped" bank sinker would get hung up less often. a couple of the places i fish you HAVE to use a "break away" rig (3 way slip or standard rig with lighter mono on sinker leader) to fish, guaranteed to lose EVERY sinker you place out there. they are awsome spots but even if you make your own lead sinkers it can be quite costly.

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I guess it could work, the only thing that would worry me is the concrete fraying the crap out of the line???:crazy:

3. Still_Waters...

Still_Waters... New Member

State:
    Ohio
    easy fix, sinker slides, my worry would be more about the size, at least for the larger ones, and also how well they'll hold up to being beaten around, like they inevitably will, lead kinda absorbs it and just gets nicked up around the outside, I'm thinking concrete would chip, but maybe if you put a thick paint on it???

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Only before the witness protection program. :roll_eyes:

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Very interesting, let us know if you try this technique

6. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    thats why i believe he was suggesting the ball style or no roll,you would use an eyelet.

a bag if quickrete might be the way to go :eek:oooh:

7. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    might be a good idea there are always pros and cons to anything if you try it let us know how it worked out

8. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    WHAT IF YOU PUT HOSPITAL OXGEN HOSE IN THE CENTER SO AS NOT TO FREY THE LINE ?
    YOU COULD DIP THE SINKERS IN THAT LIQUID PLASTIC STUFF THEY USE ON TOOLS OR ELECTRIC WIERING.

JUST A THOUGHT.
    MOOSE

9. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hello Mike, In fact i had put quick setting concrete in a egg carton sections to make about a 1 1/2 ounce weight. I curled a small piece of aluminum wire around a swivel and embedded the swivel in the concrete. I used paper clips on some which also worked.Even if the carton sticks onto the carton after setting up, it is biodegradable. This amount of weight won't be enough weight for you in rivers but my help in some instances.It is disposible. Good luck!

10. Still_Waters...

Still_Waters... New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Now I'm thinking about trying it, this sounds like it could be fun to figure out.:wink:

11. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Sounds interesting. Don't think I'll be trying it,but tell us how it works.

12. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i like usin the egg carton mold idea:wink:. i'll bet thats alot of sinkers from a bag of crete

13. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i was thinking sence you mentioned ball shaped. we got one of those 100ct bag of ballpit balls. one of those could be used to make a concrete ball, you could even leave it in the ball and have a colorfull protective coating.

14. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    this is a great idea. especially because it will have no negative effect on the river system. the question is, how big of a concrete ball will it take to suffice for 1 ounce of weight? Also, the bigger the object(and less dense of course), the more likely to flow with the river. either way, i'd say it's worth the experimenting. best of luck, please post results!

15. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    Food for thought. Use a tennis ball for a mold and put an old treble in the pour hole to tie on to.

16. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    What are you gonna use to tie the line on? Is it gonna be a slip sinker,or a swivel type?

17. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Concrete weighs around 708 lb.s per cf. so to make a sinker of the same weight as a lead sinker it would be approximately 7.5 times bigger. Portland cement and mortar would be about 5 times bigger.
    Old guy on the river: What ya got in the bag boy, a turtle? Na, just my supply of concrete sinkers for the night! lol:eek:oooh::roll_eyes::smile2::smile2::smile2:

18. cassk

cassk New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Is concrete heavier than a rock??? If not you could use a mortar drill bit and drill a hole through the rock. On the 6,8,10 etc. none roll i use a peice of braded nylon line to make a short hoop to tie my break away line onto. Should work for concrete or rock rough edges.

19. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Thanks netmanjack, exactly what is needed, a guy that probably because of his trade knows reality of when a concrete weight is practical and not. I used quicksetting pourstone no rocks or gravel, to have strength. Different situations call for different tactics. We are fortunuate with the knowledge here on the Boc to increase everyones knowledge and arsenal to be better fisherman on a budget!

20. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Sounds like a good idea to me, could use toilet paper tubes or paper towel tubes for molds, and make the size ya need. They won't harm the environment either, oughta be cheaper than lead or maybe try some scrap iron. Hope it works for ya