Concrete drive for boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by FlashGordon, Jul 26, 2007.

1. FlashGordon

FlashGordon New Member

State:
    Texas
    My back path has turned muddy enough that I almost didn't get my boat back in last weekend (rain and cool temps in July - something critical wrong about this:crazy:). So tomorrow if the 70% chance of rain doesn't pan out I'm going to do something about it. I'm adding about 60 paving blocks (18X18) to the few I'm resetting. I'll mix about 10 bags of cement into the soil beforehand. Anyone have experience with this? Will it be adequate to mix it in with a tiller or do I need to go all out and pour a slab:beat_shot:? If it's a slab, it won't happen any time soon.
    Thanx

2. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    If you have just dirt where you are putting the boat it would be best to get some 2" rock brought in to establish a good base and after a while of parking on and getting packed down put some crusher run rock on top for a solid base.jmo

3. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    A couple of variables: How heavy is the boat? How compacted is the soil ei. fairly hard and slick when wet, or soft and goopy?

Jon

4. FlashGordon

FlashGordon New Member

State:
    Texas
    I went ahead today and worked on my drive. Mixed in 9 bags of cement using a garden tiller, then packed it with the pickup. Put 90 12X12 stepping stones down and spread 2 more bags over it and worked it into the cracks using a hoe and water. Waiting for rain to finish washing the surface for me. One side was getting real boggy after a rain while the other side wasn't too bad. The boat actually sits on a concrete slab put in by a previous owner many years ago, so it has a good surface. Just getting to it was getting to be a problem. I'll go fishing next weekend and let ya'll know how it worked out.

5. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    be careful around the edges of your pad. you may want to put some gravel around it. if not, when it rains it may make big holes around the edges and make it difficult to back up onto it. throw some gravel around it and it should make it easier.