concerning this "P" hole

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by e'villeman, Nov 30, 2007.

1. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    i was out with my son the other day and was just running up and down the river (about an hr)when my buzzer went off ~ needless to say the motor shuts off. I take it home and notice all the linkage is stiff so i WD-40'ed it all and found the Idle advance was sticking, oiled it and took it back down to the river today to test-it. For the first time since i got the boat the motor cranks flawlessly! I let it run for a few minutes and turn it off. I wait a minute and just turn the key over and IT STARTED AGAIN! WooT never done that before eithier!! well i kept doing this over and over and each time it cranks flawlessly! Dang i'm so happy ~ well i noticed the "p" hole was letting water out and the 2 wide ports and really pouring water out... the "p" hole water just kinda pours out, dosent Jet the water out real fast, when i rev it up it picks up slightly but nothing major. someone told me the impellor may be weak? I found what it looks like but havent the foggiest where its located?? I hate to pay someone to fix something i need to fix once every 12-24 months... can ya help me? 1982 50hp evinrude

2. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    i dont know if the motor was warmed up enough to open the thermostat ~ if i let it warm up will more water come thru?

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    impellor should be on your lower unit. I would look to where water inlet is (two fin looking holes that gets water to you engine) and look for a shaft coming down into a housing in that area after you drop lower unit. 2 or 3 bolts will hold the housing on, take those off and impellor will be inside. It is just a rubber wheel with fins on it. I would replace it and keep the old one as a "spare" or just to take to boat shop to make sure u get the right size every time.
    Hope this helped

4. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    if that motor is like a johnson, there is a little more to dropping the lower unit than just removing the four bolts on lower unit. may want to wait until bubbacat jumps in here. or check at boat dealer and look at a diagram. it's not hard, but easier knowing where everything is.
    gary

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Roger, its not hard to change the impeller but...GET YOURSELF A MANUAL.
    Read it then read it again. After that read it yet again..
    Then decide if you can do it. If you are in any way mechanically inclined you should have no trouble...W

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Winston told you just like it is... get a book. There is no need to pay the outrageous fees charged by marinas to do maintenance on a motor. Most of it is so simple you can do it yourself - IF YOU HAVE THE BOOK. Bubba will need your make, model and anything else you can tell him. Each motor is slightly different.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill